What's new
Why is everyone suddenly trying to get on a list?

Because typically in the past there are pre-order lists for new products, so people are asking to be added to the list so they are early in the list when production units are released.

At this stage as far as I'm aware there is no such list but should one be created there's a thread to reference it from ;)

If you're asking why they're asking now? I assume because @Frank_fjs has indicated he's close to finalising things for a release.

A little update, test PCBs for the new design have been fabricated and should ship via EMS today, hopefully not too long a wait until I receive them. Hoping that everything is working as expected! These PCBs will look hot, matt finish with immersion gold plating.

I've only ordered x 5 as these are expensive to produce and I need to confirm proper functionality before doing a larger production run. I'll keep one for myself and have assigned the remaining units to a few people here for closed testing.

To simplify things, the new design will be referred to as the gold edition, and the previous layout if people are still interested in it will be the silver edition.

When the time comes I plan on requesting my own sub forum for sales and information.

Indeed it is!

There's a few small hiccups with the new design, which I'll need to address before final production.

1. The DB15s are spaced closely together. Not an issue with Neo-Geo controllers, my adapters and other compatible third party adapters with the exception of Undamned USB adapters which are too bulky to fit side by side.

2. Can only accommodate a 20 pin ATX connection. Shouldn't be an issue in most cases, and if needed a 24 to 20 pin adapter cable can be utilised.

3. Not sure I'm a fan of the simultaneous RGB pots. It's convenient in one way but that convenience comes at the cost of losing the ability to individually adjust RGB levels, which can come in handy for some game boards / monitors that may have an uneven RGB balance.

Points 1 and 2 are due to space constraints. I like keeping the PCB size compact however this makes it difficult to cram everything in and have compoments well spaced apart.

Thankfully I use an extension cable with my undamned adapters.. I'm all set

Indeed it is!

There's a few small hiccups with the new design, which I'll need to address before final production.

1. The DB15s are spaced closely together. Not an issue with Neo-Geo controllers, my adapters and other compatible third party adapters with the exception of Undamned USB adapters which are too bulky to fit side by side.

2. Can only accommodate a 20 pin ATX connection. Shouldn't be an issue in most cases, and if needed a 24 to 20 pin adapter cable can be utilised.

3. Not sure I'm a fan of the simultaneous RGB pots. It's convenient in one way but that convenience comes at the cost of losing the ability to individually adjust RGB levels, which can come in handy for some game boards / monitors that may have an uneven RGB balance.

Points 1 and 2 are due to space constraints. I like keeping the PCB size compact however this makes it difficult to cram everything in and have compoments well spaced apart.
At least you discovered the issue with UD adaptors

I think 95% of users would actually prefer this to keep things simple

Games with RGB balance so uneven that you can tell "by eye" are rather rare, haven't encountered one yet, and if that was the case I'd look into fixing the PCB game. It's tough to get the right colour balance with three individual pots.

Problem with those Piher pots is that they have 20% tolerance, so using three random pots picked from the bag won't work correctly.

That's the other problem, @RGB, no two pots are alike so I need to spend time matching them as best I can. If the 3 pots are all out from each other, there will be a variance in balance of RGB levels which isn't a problem with separated pots.

I wonder if there's a method of doing it via an IC with 3 separate signals, but regulated within a single pot?

Which are the cps2 games that glitch regarding button inputs when the extended jamma pinout is used?

I now have a cps2 multi (yippee but getting no work done :)) and I've tried Vampire Hunter 2, Vampire Night Warriors and Vampire Saviour without issue. All inputs for both players working fine.

Testing on the silver supergun which doesn't have the input disable feature on buttons 456. It's wired for 5 inputs off the jamma edge and 6 from the kick harness, simultaneously.

Am I testing the wrong games or is it working due to me not wiring up button 6 off the jamma edge (which is usually a ground point)?

I think it's some special moves that don't work if you have the 4th button both on the jamma edge and the kick harness. Maybe it registers it as a double input?

Also, I seem to remember the hidden character code for CPS3 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure not working.

Not exactly stuff that is super obvious right off the bat.

Thanks, that makes sense then. I was under the impression that some inputs became stuck permanently on or something along those lines.

Am I the only one who finds the naming convention of those games confusing!?

That's the other problem, @RGB, no two pots are alike so I need to spend time matching them as best I can. If the 3 pots are all out from each other, there will be a variance in balance of RGB levels which isn't a problem with separated pots.

I wonder if there's a method of doing it via an IC with 3 separate signals, but regulated within a single pot?
I willl go a step further and say I'd rather gain have and cutoff pots, as well as pots that are multi turn. I calibrate signals on a regular basis using waveform monitoring, and find your statement to be true.

I find it frustrating difficult calibrating signals using single turn pots. Setting this up just for grayscale only will make things increasingly difficult to the point of missing the Sentinel Board once I get one, or having to add another adapter on top of this.

Now that I write this, I'm considering needing to mod this, so my next question is will this have big enough through-holes for a nice gauge wire to be soldered to?

Back