What's new
J

jassin000

The latest version of the Taito Vewlix JVS IO (I just recieved from Japan)...
3U7Gp8C.jpg

Note the stamp "JVS L P.C.B." and the model number "K9101262B" have both changed.
The original Vewlix F/C version of the IO can be seen here...
GqceiPj.png

Note the stamp "JVS P.C.B" and model number "K91X1097C" of the older board.
I will read out the software version ID with my Naomi tonight and update this thread.

Nothing special here at all, the change only seems to have involved the PCB (if at all).
KzhJ5vi.jpg

Matches Arcade Otaku's Wiki entry perfectly.

Here a shot of it running a Namco 246/256 (Capcom Fighting Jam). :thumbsup:
Dk8QaQU.jpg

cmLJ5IY.jpg

One major problem however...
It won't play nice with Capcom vs SNK 2 (Marvel vs Capcom 2 is perfectly fine for some reason). ;(
ShyDNNx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been thinking about this issue, and it looks like my best option is to outfit the Diamond with (yet another) JAMMA kit.
This way I'll be free to use a Capcom IO (aka the best JVS IO ever) and play CvS2.
BVlQ6kt.png

Really pisses me off that I wasted 214$ on this Taito JVS IO (PM me and I'll sell it to you if you actually want the PoS) but hopefully it will help others not to make the same mistake.
bBrevZQ.jpg

To put it simply the official Taito JVS IO sucks hard, toss it in the trash and wire that cab JAMMA (the only universal standard that fucking matters) then use a Capcom IO.
g9XD4Td.jpg

We have a true artiste in the house :D

But thanks for checking the JVS version information and posting it

Why not wire in a Sega Type 1 JVS IO? Still have to find the first game that doesn’t run with it (without racing etc. that is ;) )

We have a true artiste in the house
MS Paint baby (I was very tempted to MS Paint a bong into your avatar Bubby's hand, but that wouldn't be appropriate)! :D
Why not wire in a Sega Type 1 JVS IO?
Because the Sega Type 1 JVS IO won't do power conversion, the Capcom IO will.

Now I know what your thinking... Hasn't the Vewlix cab got a real JVS PSU inside?
The answer is yes it dose, but the longer explanation is that when you install the JAMMA kit it occupies the entirety of the PSU.

So the only way you'll be powering that JVS system is with the Capcom IO (and this is why I've never been able to *DIMM with my Naomi).

It really would have been awesome IF that damn Taito JVS IO just worked with CvS2, but it don't so its trash to me.

never worked on a Vewlix myself, but couldn’t you just make a JVS adapter with JST VL connectors which splices it in 2?
So you can power your Jamma kit, and still have full JVS power plugs available?

but couldn’t you just make a JVS adapter with JST VL connectors which splices it in 2?
Yes... I actually did make a really hacky (spliced wire with heat shrink tube) version of this just for testing.
It would still prevent me from using the Type 1 Sega JVS IO, unless I also wanted to hackup something for controls (type 1 lacks JAMMA key I need for controls).

This was shaping up to be simular what you are suggesting...
NFz7iCs.jpg

I'm drawing the JVS power directly from the JVS PSU.
The Sega JVS IO is drawing power from the Naomi's rear IO panel.
I can get my controls into the JVS IO via JAMMA edge (but the edge is unpowered as I'm only using it to get controls in).

Anyway I discontinued all that because Capcom IO is just easier to work with.
The only issue with it is powering DIMM's and what greedy sluts they are. :P

I think we have a misunderstanding of what a Sega Type 1 JVS IO is...
I’m talking about the JVS IO from a Naomi or NNC cab, you are talking about the Sega JVS/Jamma adapter.

I mean to swap out the Vewlix IO for the Sega IO, nothing more, nothing less.
So it only takes care for controls, no conversions of any kind :)

I feel your frustration, but I cant agree with calling it shit because one game doesn't support it. lol

Also the Capcom I/O is far from perfect, especially version 1.0.

Sega Rev. B > *

:P

You can't, the connector in the Vewlix control panel isn't the same (it looks similar but its key'd differently).
I cant agree with calling it shit because one game doesn't support it. lol
Fair... But what exactly is the problem with this (CvS2) game?

Or rather what about this game is different from Marvel vs Capcom 2 (because that works)?
They are both 6 button games, so why is one satisfied and the other not?

We aren't talking about analog controls, special steering wheels or optical encoders here.

If you think it's so awesome, make me an offer... I promise you the price I let it go for will reflect what I feel it's worth (and not what I just paid for it).

You can't, the connector in the Vewlix control panel isn't the same (it looks similar but its key'd differently).
Taito actually made a conversion board for using their I/O boards in Sega cabs, you should be able to use it in reverse.

Taito actually made a conversion board for using their I/O boards in Sega cabs
Sweet Jesus you are 100% correct!
ZubwcFi.jpg

I never knew this existed, but now I NEED IT!!!!!!!1
Thanks Niko :D

@jassin000 I know it is not a straight swap, the keys are different and the pinout is different.
I’m just saying this would be your best option to get ‘as good as it gets’ JVS support.

It sure is possible as I did the reverse thing and installed a Taito Fast IO in my Sega New Net City, in fact it is even wired in parallel so I can use both JVS and Fast IO without swapping any connectors or adapters :)

I know it is not a straight swap, the keys are different and the pinout is different.
That conversion PCB I posted above should solve all of that, I'll be asking Yugo for a price/availability tonight (Japan time).
Hmmm, where do you think I can find a short "CN3" to "CN3" Sega IO cable?

Yeah I did look into that before, wasn’t to be found used, new it was;

K91X1207B IO CONVERSION P.C.B.ASSY     @JPY10,800

But you would also need to wire yourself a harness forconnecting that to a Sega IO via female-female 60pin AMP connectors

But you would also need to wire yourself a harness forconnecting that to a Sega IO via female-female 60pin AMP connectors
Right the CN3 to CN3... Would need to be short as well (to store it all in the control panel).
Damn it Taito, why couldn't you just make a IO that worked/was worth a shit.

My goal here was to have a cab that was official/wasn't all hacked to shit inside.
It seems in order to play all the games I care about this is simply unavoidable.

Or why wouldn’t Taito use the 60p Sega pinout which was basically industry standard for 10+ years :P

Taito actually made a conversion board for using their I/O boards in Sega cabs
Sweet Jesus you are 100% correct!
ZubwcFi.jpg

I never knew this existed, but now I NEED IT!!!!!!!1
Thanks Niko :D
About a year ago, I reached out to KC for a used one of those... I think that he quoted me $200 plus another $50 to ship it.. He has/had contacts in Japan that carry those.

Back