What's new
@brizzo on the photo is F2138AFA20V H8S/2138A
Thanks @MetalliC . What a monster of a datasheets for this series; over 1300 pages. Confirmed flash based part. I agree no restrictions/protection on flash read back after reading through relevant parts of datasheet.

"Flash Memory Programmer Mode" outlined in section 22.10 of datasheet explains viable method to read internal memory to external device. Would require making a custom pcb adapter (like we used for Toaplan games with HD647180 mcu), desoldering chip, soldering to adapter and dumping internal memory contents. In theory the code contains a boot loader for in-system updates, but we would need to dump it the hard way before we could do in-system programming the easy way (vial usb serial cable).

How badly do people want or need this to be fixed?

How badly do people want or need this to be fixed?
this is a main question.
afaik @cpsystem3 have such IO, and may be have needed equipment to dump and reprogram it. I can handle firmware fixing part, it is usual H8 code so nothing unexpected in there.
so, it is mainly the question if it really needed.

besides Programmer Mode there is also interesting looking "Boot Loader Mode", while in it MCU receive some code via SCI, put it in RAM and run.

besides Programmer Mode there is also interesting looking "Boot Loader Mode", while in it MCU receive some code via SCI, put it in RAM and run.
Was looking at that and excited you could push code into RAM and execute... but then read this at the end of 'boot mode programming':

In boot mode, if any data has been programmed into the flash memory (if all data is not 1), allflash memory blocks are erased. Boot mode is for use when user program mode is unavailable,such as the first time on-board programming is performed, or if the program activated in userprogram mode is accidentally erased.

So in theory if you set mode pins to enter boot mode, it will erase the flash :(

Being the official Taito JAMMA kit is out of production, if the owner of a Vewlix intends to use a JVS system they only easily have access to the official flawed board without complex hardware rewiring.
I'm willing make a large (150$) donation to make this happen, and I'm pretty sure @Derick2k would match me in that, I would encourage all Vewlix owner to pledge what they can if they care about proper JVS support.

If @cpsystem3 is able to perform the dump/update even better, if not I can send the IO where it needs to go.

If CvS2 is now patched, what would be the benefit of doing this at the JVS IO level instead?

Well, if the taito jvs io can be be improved further to be more compatible with many more games/systems, why not. Im in to do some donations towards improving stuff :)

Hell, can someone take a look at the Taito scaler and see if in can be hacked to work with 24Khz games?? :D

Spent a couple hours whipping this up; the adapter board required to dump MCU. In theory this will work as per the datasheet :D

h8-2300-adpt-r001.PNG

what other games/systems is it currently incompatible with? I have one of these in my vewlix too, just don't have much experience with it. I'm all for supporting the project I just don't understand it's current deficiencies

g9XD4Td.jpg

agree with pic, CVS2 game require 6 buttons per player (12 bits in total) but this JVS IO reports it have only 11, while in reality it supports more.
so, yes, piece of poop.

hope a patch could be found/made, I would happily donate Paypal funds. :)
patch is done, you may drop some coins to Dumping Unionhttp://smitdogg.mameworld.info/dumping/union.html
11bits per player suggests it only supports 5buttons. Has anyone verified the I/O does actually support 6 buttons? If not, then maybe one of the unpopulated jumpers tells the board to use 6 buttons like on the Sega Rev.B

If it does support 6 buttons, I wonder if the Naomi is incorrectly interpreting the feature check response from the I/O.

We need to log it... It could be that the command version or jvs revision has been updated since the end of the Naomi.

I don't necessarily agree the "fix" is reprogramming the I/O.

Last edited:
maybe one of the unpopulated jumpers tells the board to use 6 buttons like on the Sega Rev.B
JP1 is connected to the mode pins on the mcu (sets internal mcu mode for programming)
JP2 is connected to serial uart port (tx1,rx1) and a few extra i/o -- used for in-system programming and/or external device like lcd touch screen or some other accessory

Perhaps not, but dumping all the things is important. But then we can at least validate without doubt how the code is written :)

maybe one of the unpopulated jumpers tells the board to use 6 buttons like on the Sega Rev.B
JP1 is connected to the mode pins on the mcu (sets internal mcu mode for programming)JP2 is connected to serial uart port (tx1,rx1) and a few extra i/o -- used for in-system programming and/or external device like lcd touch screen or some other accessory

Perhaps not, but dumping all the things is important. But then we can at least validate without doubt how the code is written :)
Ahh good to know about the jumpers.

Yea seeing the code will definitely tell the whole story.

@jassin000 can you confirm all 6 buttons work?

11bits per player suggests it only supports 5buttons. Has anyone verified the I/O does actually support 6 buttons?
yes it was tested, all 6 buttons works just fine.
If it does support 6 buttons, I wonder if the Naomi is incorrectly interpreting the feature check response from the I/O.

We need to log it... It could be that the command version or jvs revision has been updated since the end of the Naomi.
highly unlikely, in newer JVS standard revisions "function check" JVS command had same output format.
in btns part it is only 3 bytes - players num, bits per player, 0 (unused).

facing the fact everything else looks ok (board name, coin inputs#, outputs#) it clearly looks like mistake in firmware. OR may be somehow configured.

Was just chatting with cpsystem3, he does not have an adapter for this task. But he did confirm that all 6 buttons for both players work on this io board.

11bits per player suggests it only supports 5buttons. Has anyone verified the I/O does actually support 6 buttons?
yes it was tested, all 6 buttons works just fine.

highly unlikely, in newer JVS standard revisions "function check" JVS command had same output format.in btns part it is only 3 bytes - players num, bits per player, 0 (unused).

facing the fact everything else looks ok (board name, coin inputs#, outputs#) it clearly looks like mistake in firmware. OR may be somehow configured.
I see what your saying, but I think it just depends on how its stepping through the response data. If its just blindly jumping 4 bytes from the Function check (0x01) to the next expected function byte ( Coin Function ), then yea format didn't change. But is it possible that its jumping 3 bytes and then increment 1 until it reaches Coin Function (0x02) and so on? If so then the format could of changed.

I understand this is highly unlikely, but I would like to see some logs.

If anyone has this I/O and my X2 multi, let me know and I can send you some tools to log the response data.

Last edited:
@Niko I've got the original K91X1097C JVS I/O and your x2 multi hooked up right now.

hmm. jassin's first post made it seem like both firmware were identical. I'll have to load up CvS2 and see. @jassin000 did you have this same problem with the original K91X1097C I/O?

jassin's first post made it seem like both firmware were identical.
Identical in that they both report 11 bits aka 5 buttons, when in actuality they support all 6 via Taito official J/K wiring (and confirmed by Marvel vs Capcom 2 on Naomi).
As I said the version numbers (1.00 vs 2.00) and dates are different, everything else appears the same.

I believe this is Taito's bad, the cab clearly supports 6 buttons, some could even argue it supports 7...
uMxXRWj.jpg

The official J/K 1P/2P wire harness has no support for this 7th button however, and is likely why the panel is shipped with hole-plugs pre-installed.
pF6e11G.jpg

For the IO to not report it supports 6 buttons, when it clearly dose in all forms physical from factory and even software?
I'm saying Taito F'd up! :thumbdown:
g9XD4Td.jpg

If @brizzo and @MetalliC have the skills to correct this, we shouldn't be patching games to fix what is a IO issue.
We should be taking a collection as mentioned by @Derick2k to have it corrected at the root (BS IO miss-reporting buttons).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back