What's new
Well mine gives me the same IO error as in your first post. But for the life of me I can't get it to display a test menu for some reason. It's been a while since I goofed around with my Naomi2 but I just see a black screen when I go into test from the test button on my cab.

For the IO to not report it supports 6 buttons, when it clearly dose in all forms physical from factory and even software?
I'm saying Taito F'd up! :thumbdown:
This might be the case, I sent something to @ekorz to have him log the response data.

So we will see when he gets a chance to run it.

Well in the case of the K91X1097C I/O, either Taito fucked up or the 6th button has to be enabled some how. Its only reporting 11 switches.
Code:
JVS Feature Response: 0xe0 0x00 0x14 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x02 0x0b 0x00 0x02 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x03 0x07 0x0a 0x00 0x12 0x08 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x56

Last edited:
Well in the case of the K91X1097C I/O, either Taito fucked up
I'd say 2x times - as you may notice, last function record is not full 4 bytes as per specs but single 0.
this may lead to errors if software calculate total records number as length/4 (in integers)

Well in the case of the K91X1097C I/O, either Taito fucked up
I'd say 2x times - as you may notice, last function record is not full 4 bytes as per specs but single 0.this may lead to errors if software calculate total records number as length/4 (in integers)
Thats final 0x00 before the response sum (0x56) is the "End code" ;)

It threw me off first too, its part of the response.

Last edited:
Well in the case of the K91X1097C I/O, either Taito fucked up or the 6th button has to be enabled some how. Its only reporting 11 switches.
Code:
JVS Feature Response: 0xe0 0x00 0x14 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x02 0x0b 0x00 0x02 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x03 0x07 0x0a 0x00 0x12 0x08 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x56

Here is a break down of the JVS feature response for those who are curious what the hex codes mean:
Code:
0xe0 = SYNC
0x00 = NODE #
0x14 = LENGTH OF PACKET (20 bytes)

0x01 = REPORT
0x01 = REPORT: NORMAL

0x01 = PLAYER
0x02 = PLAYER COUNT
0x0b = BUTTONS PER PLAYER (11 buttons)
0x00 = N/A

0x02 = COINSLOT
0x02 = COINSLOT COUNT
0x00 = N/A
0x00 = N/A

0x03 = ANALOG
0x07 = ANALOG CHANNELS
0x0a = BITS (10 bit resolution)
0x00 = N/A

0x12 = OUTPUT
0x08 = CHANNEL COUNT
0x00 = N/A
0x00 = N/A

0x00 = END CODE

0x56 = CHECKSUM

Try the test button on the Naomi itself?
total tangent now, but it seems like I get a black screen when the Naomi is in 15khz mode. 31khz on the dips does the trick.

Anyway of course the test mode now confirms what niko's dump already shows ;)

but it seems like I get a black screen when the Naomi is in 15khz mode. 31khz on the dips does the trick
Uh... If you are playing on Vewlix of course you get a black screen, Vewlix LCD is 31khz min (it does work with the JAMMA kit scaler).

@jassin000 hey it was the first time I'd hooked up a Naomi to this FC!

Weird part was it all booted and played fine except for the test screen, on the 15khz dips setting. So I didn't think to check em!

Did you have the Naomi on 15khz mode and connected it directly to the monitor via vga? And got the game to display? Would be interesting to know if your monitor can handle 15khz directly.

Yup....so just let me know who wants to work on this and I'll send them a JVS io. Ill send them a taito scaler as well if they want to poke at it, maybe it can be hacked to work with 24Khz games?

PM'd @Derick2k and got shipping sorted out

@jassin000 Our legendary bank roller, donation can be sent via this link https://www.paypal.me/romspy/150usd

For the time being I will not ask for additional funds from others, as this covers the cost of getting adapter PCB fabricated, buying extra sample mcu chip (they're dang expensive!). We will go from there once we get dump, then solve how to program in-system.

I'm still wondering what other games this IO doesn't work properly on, but i do own one so I will also chip in for round 2. I recognize having it dumped and program-able would be a benefit.

Maybe I'll plug in some other games in the next few days to see what works and what doesn't. I don't have a ton of jvs stuff to try though.

I don't have a ton of jvs stuff to try though.
I'd recommend trying anything with 6-buttons per player, there are quite a few games on NAOMI like this, and on TTX there is of course Street Fighter IV and probably a few others.

I'd recommend trying anything with 6-buttons per player
Interestingly the games will all play fine, so long as they actually boot.
The problem is some games will read the 11 bits from the JVS IO first, then refuse to boot because they don't believe the IO has enough buttons.

Interestingly the games will all play fine, so long as they actually boot.
The problem is some games will read the 11 bits from the JVS IO first, then refuse to boot because they don't believe the IO has enough buttons.
Thank you Captain Obvious :D

The point is finding those games that don't boot...

Technically speaking, none of those 6-button games should work, but it's clear that a lot of games ignore the IO and run even if the IO is reporting too few buttons.

Back