Taito Vewlix JVS IO

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Derick2k wrote:

Better yet, I wonder if the the scaler can be upgraded
      It can! Only they call it a OSSC. *snicker* :D

Seriously tho, with a simple piece of sheet metal you can de-case the OSSC and mount it inside where the official scaler go's no problem.
      What you'll find frustrating is the Vewlix family of LCDs don't play nice with OSSC's output, so that VP30/50/50Pro is pretty much mandatory as well. :huh:

Where do you cleanly store that DVDO monster inside the Vewlix?
      Best method/place I found was a old CRT monitor stand at the bottom of the cab with the iScan on-top of that. :/
      Darksoft: CPS3, ST-V, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3

[genesis] [segacd] [saturn] [dreamcast_ss] [nes-101] [snes] [n64] [gamecube] [pce] [pcecd] [psx]

The post was edited 1 time, last by jassin000 ().

• rewrite wrote:

randomdoohickey wrote:

Might be worth looking into making copies of those.
      Still hoping to find one at not crazy prices in order to see about this. I've had a WTBuy/Borrow thread up for a bit.
      @Derick2k I'm not sure about upgrading, but there's little standing in the way of outright replacing it with something else! OSSC or something.
      If you do, probably worth looking into making a version with a 24-pin ATX connector instead of JVS, along with a socketed Negatron, volume pot, and scaler power, then cover it all Techflex or wiring cloth. Probably keep the video on a JST connector to keep people from plugging TTL into VGA, but offer a dongle for scalers with a VGA input that takes TTL video. Looking at the Taito Vewlix JAMMA schematic, the power leads seems under-specced unless they're running some beefy wire gauge in there, plus I don't think there's any ferrite beads in there either. If the JAMMA bridge board gets remade, might as well remake the Taito-Sega bridge and associated ribbon cable as well.

I think the official lower wood insert and associated hardware may be NLA as well? Having that would be nice for surface mounting a FlexATX PSU. Same for making a bracket and power dongle for an OSSC to go in the official scaler location in place of the official scaler.

jassin000 wrote:

What you'll find frustrating is the Vewlix family of LCDs don't play nice with OSSC's output, so that VP30/50/50Pro is pretty much mandatory as well. :huh:
      Are the current 1080p panels any better? I think the Wei-Ya ACV-011 may be a more or less direct replacement for the official scaler and is a true linedoubler?

The post was edited 3 times, last by randomdoohickey ().

• randomdoohickey wrote:

might as well remake the Taito-Sega bridge and associated ribbon cable as well.
      Already looked into that. There's no point in this one. They're brand new from Taito for under $30 and still available as of a month back.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • Found another oddity on the the board I'm borrowing from @Derick2k

This board is marked "K91X1097B" and "J9100593A" on the silk.

R16 is the terminating resistor, while R17 and R15 are the biasing resistors - if I got it right. The terminating resistor should be 120, and the biasing ~1k. Could be a BOM error, or an assembly glitch.
      FOR SCIENCE ! I make and sell the JVS-PAC & other stuff, irkenlabs.com