What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Went to play my G-Net board over the weekend and it wont sync on my cab. Horzontal is fine but vertical rolls. Adjusting the v-hold I can get the roll to slow down but it wont lock. Tested on two different cabs with the same results and other PCBs work fine. There does appear to be a sync signal on the sync pin but based on whats on screen it's as if I have horizontal sync without vertical.

I'm curious if anyone has run into this issue before or has any troubleshooting advice. thanks 8)

do you have a scope?
i wonder if the sync pulses go through any of the damned electrolytic caps!

I have a little DSO Nano, it's kind of crap though throwing it on there I get this:
gnet_sync.jpg

I have a few Capcom ZN2 PCBs which use nearly identical main boards and with the same view on the scope I get this:
zn2_sync.jpg

it seems to be pulsing correctly but it's not getting pulled up between pulses.

I tried to follow the sync traces and quickly discovered that on my G-net the sync line reads continuity to ground (this doesn't happen on my ZN2).

I did manage to follow the trances it goes from the JAMMA edge to the video header and then through a filter array (FL531 by the video header), before going to pin 14 of an SMD 74F244 (IC355 under near the ROM board connector). Other than the filter array there doesn't appear to be any resistors, caps or any other components between the output pins and this chip.

The video ground is the pin adjacent to sync on the filter array, so it's possible it's shorted internally but it also looks like a BGA mounted component and unbelievably tiny, I don't even know how I'd go about replacing it with my equipment. The 74F244 would be easier to replace but it's located directly under the ROM board so it'd be difficult to test while running, unless I soldered some wires to it or something.

I suppose I could remove the 74F244 and see if the short still exists as that would rule out the filter and I wouldn't have to bother with trying to remove it. I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
well check the resistance between sync and ground,
then if it looks shorted try again with the ttl buffer removed.

I measured resistance across the ground pin and pin 14 of the buffer IC and got 2.9ohms

then measured resistance across the video ground and sync pins on the filter and got 3.9ohms

so I'm guessing it's the buffer IC that's toast since the lower resistance should mean I'm closer to the short.

I've ordered a new IC and I'll report back once I get it in and have a chance to pull the old one.

i'm surprised you dont have any,
i never throw away anything electronic without pulling all the chips first.
i even pick up electronic junk in the street to pull the chips.

i have probably 25% of the common ttl in soic and 95% in dip package in storage boxes - all pulls!!
when i repair stuff my main costs are chip sockets and IPA. :D

I probably do have some on one of my junk boards... I generally don't resort to that unless I'm in a time crunch though.

Any luck?

Not to hijack your thread but do you know what part that FL531 filter array is? I am about to steal one off a spare board, but I'd buy a new part if I could actually determine what it was. I couldn't find any schematics but maybe you found some... or if a PSX revision matches these boards better than others, perhaps.

Any luck?
yes! I neglected to post an update but I replaced the 74F244 and I have sync again!

Sorry I don't know what that filter chip is though. if yours is toast and you just want to get it working you can always just bypass it. I do have a junk Tekken 2 PCB. if you want you can see if there's something similar on that.

meter a good one,
they consist of a feedthrough resistor, and a cap to ground.
531 - maybe 530ohms feedthrough. cap value is not too important, maybe something like 10nf.

Back