What's new

Derick2k

Immortal
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Got 2 Blast City cabs that I will be cleaning up and restoring. The first request from the wife || was to paint the shells either a pearlescent white (to match her car) or change the color completely, either metallic or pearl black, red or blue. The other 500 requests in rapid succession in under 10 minutes were from my 4 year son "Can I play the video games now" Instant headache.

I will be using one cab with naomi and the other with a CPS2 to start.

The machines are fully functional and monitors are great with no burn in that I can see.

I plan to do the following:

1. Full tear down and cleaning of all components.
2. Repair & Repaint shells
3. Check and adjust monitors and chassis as needed. Would it be worth it to replace all caps on the the chassis?
4. Fans, dont know what fans the cabs/power supplies have but will probably look to replace those with higher efficiency, quieter fans.
5. Speakers - I was thinking of doing new custom enclosures, with new drivers for better sound. I used to build speaker/sub enclosures so should be an easily doable little project and I also want to create a headphone out connection for late night play.
6. New stainless steel control panels, new joysticks, buttons and harnesses.

I welcome any suggestions/tips/guides you guys might have regarding any of the work or were to source parts form.

Here are some pics of the cabs.

IMG_3150.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3151.JPG
    IMG_3151.JPG
    785.4 KB · Views: 743
LOL, I told the wife I was thinking of cleaning them first and see how they turn out. One of cabs does have damage though and I dont think touch paint will fix it, the other is pretty much mint.

IMG_3143.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3148.JPG
    IMG_3148.JPG
    847 KB · Views: 258
After the initial gut reaction of "DON'T". My new suggestion is to paint her car Blast City white instead.

Both of those CP's look immaculate, why would you replace them?

If you check the Arcadeotaku wiki you will find the cap list for the chassis and neckboard once you figure out which monitors you've got in there.

The CPs are a little warped and show signs of rust including the bolts. I was thinking of getting stainless steel repros.

Hmmm..I dont think she would like her car painted flat white. This is how her car looks, supposed to be Diamond White Pearl, but maybe I could just put the blast city logos on it and change her license plate to arcader or candycab. LMAO.

r640c5140.jpg

Starcab has your repo panel(s) currently they are listed as "out of stock" but check back often. The come out in batches with some regularity from time to time.

Giz10p has your CP overlays and replacement M4 carriage bolts (6-pack) both list as in stock.

Be aware that your current Blast control panels are original Sanwa's, allot of people would trade a pinky finger to get one (rust or otherwise)... You simply can not get originals anymore, and even finding a quality repo (original Blast City style overlay) is very difficult.

Focus Attack has all your sticks and buttons (please use 30mm snap-in's, not screw-downs) even .110 terminal wire (in rainbow colors) to build your own/scratch wire harness.

Please never paint candy cabs, it makes baby Jesus cry. :saint: + ;( = :thumbdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jassin, you are the best. Thanks for the links.

I am trying to see how to fill in those spots on the cab and retouch the paint to match. Do these cabs have a white gelcoat finish?? Maybe I should look to someone that does boat repairs instead of an autobody shop??

Once I remove the CPs and clean them I'll have a better assessment of their condition. The joystick are working great, the buttons are a bit messed up though so I might just replace the buttons.

I am so jealous - those cabs are glorious. I hope one day to get my hands on a candy cab. A question to Jassin - why snap-ins and not screw downs - is just more authentic?

why snap-ins and not screw downs
Snap-ins are for metal CP's, screw-downs are for woden CP's... The Blast actually can accommodate both, but try the same on a Super Neo Candy 29. The spacing is too tight at the end of the panel and you have to cut away the base molding to make room.

Back