What's new
I like stories with happy endings. Big thanks to @Mitsurugi-w and @XianXi for helping me get sorted out.

For the folks used to Street Fighter-based 6 button setups (like me), mapping for Tekken Tag buttons in this scenario goes like so:

1: LP
2: MP
3: LK
4: MK
5 (tag): HP

Attachments

• 2018-07-02_10-38-29.png
    2018-07-02_10-38-29.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 310
I think you have your button numbers wrong there.
JAMMA button 3 is HP in Street Fighter.

Correct re: JAMMA, but that's not what I meant. In Tekken lingo, 3 = left kick. It goes like this:

1: left punch
2: right punch
3: left kick
4: right kick
5: tag

The way I laid it out is exactly how it is mapped through this adapter, which is perfect for cabs/superguns that are wired up to the the 6 button SF standard. No need to rewire at all in this case.

In a normal 6 button cab Tekken would be like this:

1 = left punch
2 = right punch
4 = left kick
5 = right kick

1,2 via Jamma, 4,5 via kick harness

For Tekken Tag you would add 3 as Tag button via Jamma

1 = left punch
2 = right punch
4 = left kick
5 = right kick

Not the same thing as what I said. If you give these numbers to a Tekken player, they won't know what you're talking about.

1 = left punch
2 = right punch
4 = left kick
5 = right kick

Not the same thing as what I said. If you give these numbers to a Tekken player, they won't know what you're talking about.
For real?
Look up the manual dude;
http://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/qr/tekkentagtournament/manual.pdf

Also that is how the buttons are configured when you connect a Tekken 3 or Tag pcb via JVS instead of Jamma...

And yes I can confirm that is true as I own multiple Tekken 2/3/4/5 pcb and run them in a Namco Cyberlead cab, which is basically ‘the’ genuine Tekken 3 cab ;)

If I understand you correctly You're referring to the button numbers used in moves lists for tekken. like this: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/arcade/562873-tekken-tag-tournament/faqs/496 but AFAIK the idea that 1=LP, 2=RP, 3=LK, 4=RK, 5=Tag are not official Tekken nomenclature, but just stuff people writing guides have come up with.

Really you shouldn't use that numbering on an arcade hardware site

Ugh. Who cares? It works and he's having fun. Lol.

I think that if you already have a street fighter cab then the adapter will make it so the buttons are already arranged as Namco intended.

No one is wrong here. I'm coming in primarily from a fighting game player's perspective because that was my background long before I ever bought any piece of arcade hardware. The message should still came across accurately regardless of who is seeing it (operator vs player).

@PascalP funny thing is I did look at that manual a few days ago to research test menu options for this board. The way they have the button switches labeled doesn't jive with how the player community labels each button. I get it and accept that. The funny part about that manual are the repeated control panel diagram instances where the tag button is below left kick. I've never heard of nor have seen in person any TTT arcade setup done this way, ever. Because this discussion isn't confusing enough already without (to me) Namco's weird button numbering scheme...

To me, tag is always to the right of right punch, exactly where HP would be in a 6 button SF panel. That's also the way official joystick layout looks for console sticks. Just strange to me seeing it positioned any other way.

ps1-ps2-hori_tekken_tag_tournament_stick_01.jpg

@BroadwayJose it is cool man, as long as you enjoy the game, whatever you call the buttons :P

I agree with you, the placement of the Tag button is a bit awkward, but I believe this is due to existing Tekken 3 cabs being upgraded to Tekken Tag, the panel shape in the manual looks like an US woodie cab to me...
Also look up how Mortal Kombat 3 implemented the Run button compared to Mortal Kombat 2, similar style.
And somewhat I believe it could make sense, as you could operate it with your thump, not getting your other fingers of the buttons where they should be ;)

Official US Tekken Tag cab;
tekken5.jpg

Mortal Kombat 3 cab;
PA060150.jpg

Back