Arcadeworks Omega inside

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Arcadeworks Omega inside

Recently got one of these and it has issues. Games reset after less than a minute of gameplay or lock up. Opened it up and I don’t see any obvious issue. Anyway it’s kind of fun to see what components were used. I’m not sure what all the little wires are doing. I’m guessing you guys probably understand what all is going on here to consolize this thing. Anyone spot anything that looks like it could point to my problem? I’ll take more pictures tonight. Let me know if more detail in a particular area would help. I’ll prob end up sending it back for repair.
      Images
      • 249DE3B5-759E-42BF-93D5-38FA12DB5D13.jpeg

424.37 kB, 1,080×1,080, viewed 170 times
      • BA6F73BF-E7E3-4344-A798-491AC449291C.jpeg

409.07 kB, 1,080×1,080, viewed 138 times
      • CB11DC22-92F3-4FA3-B099-92F09F859AD3.jpeg

433.59 kB, 1,080×1,080, viewed 158 times
      • 2142865B-31EC-47DC-8DF4-CCEAA4781BEF.jpeg

388.21 kB, 1,080×1,080, viewed 128 times
    • The Omega is just a consolized 1FC with a integrated memory card.
      I can't think of any reason why it should be rebooting/resetting mid-gameplay with the multi cart.

Do you experience this with real/legit MVS carts as well?
      Have you cleared the NVRAM/Memory card save files via the hardware cross-hatch hardware test screen?
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)
    • To clear the NVRAM, power it on with no cart installed and you will be at the crosshatch screen. Keep pressing Start until you get to the "Clear backup ram" screen. It will say press A+B+C to clear RAM. Press all 3 at the same time and once you let go it should go to the next menu. Then press Start until you get back to the crosshatch screen, and power off.
    • Geddon wrote:

It resets or freezes with almost all my real mvs carts.
      Something is wrong with the Omega, its not multi cart related.
      As @ShootTheCore said, yours appears to have many reworks/repairs going on?
      I'd get in-touch with Quan ASAP.
    • Geddon wrote:

use with my supergun setup
      If you've already got a supergun setup... The Omega was a waste of money no? ?(
      I mean the shell is pretty but, it's just a compact supergun and a (really poor quality) NTSC encoder inside.
      I get better quality with my HAS+OSSC FACT.
    • Yeah I ordered it before I really delved deeper into superguns. But I’m fine with owning one if it works. Since I ordered it I shoved 2 mk boards into a pc case with a retroelectronik board and switcher and got another supergun so I know a lot more now. I’ve wasted all sorts of cash on video game stuff and lately tools, parts, wire, and all sorts of other things to make my own stuff and repair things. I’m starting to enjoy the ins and outs of learning how this stuff works as much as the games themselves.
    • Ah gotcha, probably a good call. Now that I have an HAS I'm considering the same and getting a 1 slot mobo, but tbh I really like the design of the Omega and figure if it's an easy fix might as well keep it.

It seems like the reset issue is common for the Omega, yet I'm not seeing any definitive fixes for it online..
    • Honestly the customer service experience with Quan was not great for me in the past, plus orders and repairs take way too long to process (in my experience and from other posts I've seen). So I'd rather fix it myself or have someone else take a look at it.

Since the MV1C board would still need to be modded with stereo out and the UNIBIOS I might as well just have someone look into repairing the Omega itself. I should really start learning how to solder.. X/
    • Just swap in a fully working MV1C, his design allows easy swaps.

If you are getting random resets, check the 5v level, make sure it’s at 5.00v

If it’s at 5.00v then it might be a RAM problem. Most likely fast VRAM which isn’t good as that RAM is internal to the GRZ, so you’d have to swap on a new GRZ from another MV1C.

Of course, this is just speculation which is why I suggest just swapping in a new board.
    • Wouldn't I still need to desolder the original BIOS if I want to use a UNIBIOS and do a stereo mod on a stock MV1C board?

He actually offered to repair it for free (I just had to cover shipping) even though this was purchased in 2016, so I just went ahead and shipped it off this week. Cost of shipping is less than a working MV1C board even if it's a simple drop in replacement.

He did mention it's likely a RAM issue...something I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable fixing.