What's new

_nu_

Beginner
Reaction score
With the help of reddit, I found a 29" monitor to fit my cab. A Makvision (wei-ya) M2929D1G-62.
This thing was capable of 1024x768 out of the box. FedEx managed to smash the tube. :(

I am hoping that the chassis is still usable.

If it is, how hard should it be to find a usable replacement tube?

I don't know enough about thel inner-workings of tubes and yokes and whatnot to know what I am looking for.
I don't care if the replacement is flat or round, I would really just like that XGA resolution.

Any and all help/ suggestions/ direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

sorry to hear that. I guess it wasn't insured. I'm confident you'll find help here about a suitable replacement.

It's sad to have a monitor get smashed... But honestly the Makvision isn't known for its quality.
I've also gotta ask, why the importance placed on XGA (1024x768)?
That specific requirement makes me think this is for a emulation project, it which case I would encourage you to use GroovyMAME and setup a soft15khz solution.
Freeing you to use what's basically an arcade CGA "standard" 320x240 15khz tube.

sorry to hear that. I guess it wasn't insured. I'm confident you'll find help here about a suitable replacement.
Thank you. It did have coverage that I am filing a claim for now.
It's sad to have a monitor get smashed... But honestly the Makvision isn't known for its quality.
I've also gotta ask, why the importance placed on XGA (1024x768)?
That specific requirement makes me think this is for a emulation project, it which case I would encourage you to use GroovyMAME and setup a soft15khz solution.
Freeing you to use what's basically an arcade CGA "standard" 320x240 15khz tube.
Yeah, it's doing mame, console emulation, actual consoles and some steam games. I wanted the resolution for all of the windows stuff.
I just took the mess apart. Its an LG/Philips tube with the 2 focus pin setup. The chassis looks like its still in one piece.
Now to find a tube...

I wanted the resolution for all of the windows stuff.
Its better to use a CGA monitor and a UVC (Universal Video Converter) to downscale VGA 1024x768/800x600/640x480 > arcade/CGA 320x240.
uvc_pix.jpg

I wanted the resolution for all of the windows stuff.
Its better to use a CGA monitor and a UVC (Universal Video Converter) to downscale VGA 1024x768/800x600/640x480 > arcade/CGA 320x240.
uvc_pix.jpg
Understood. This is what I will look into if I cannot find another tube to go with this chassis I already have.

So.... got a claim going with FedEx now.

I got impatient and really wanted to do some gaming.

Then I found this:
4BBMIpg.jpg

No idea if this will work but looking up the model number, I discover it's capable of 1080i and has HDMI inputs. It's only $35 and I have nothing better to do...

OyuqAoi.jpg

Hey! The tube has the mounting hardware that my cabinet wants! The neck doesn't match my chassis... ah well. I'll just use the one that came with it.

KKMDOtr.jpg

Holy crap it fits!

78p0pek.jpg

Holy crap, games look incredible on it!

This should hold me over just fine until I get a legitimate monitor in this thing.

Very nice! So how are you connecting to the TV? HDMI ports with up converter? It looks very good and impressed the mounting matches. Not a bad option it appears to me for very little cost. Perhaps something to look into as arcade monitors get more expensive and harder to find.

Very nice! So how are you connecting to the TV? HDMI ports with up converter? It looks very good and impressed the mounting matches. Not a bad option it appears to me for very little cost. Perhaps something to look into as arcade monitors get more expensive and harder to find.
This tv came with HDMI. Since the whole tube and chassis went right in, I just plugged it right into my video card.

I cant believe that fit right in. Congrats on the successful monitor swap.

I cant believe that fit right in. Congrats on the successful monitor swap.
Thanks! For anyone else considering doing this, if your old monitor was curved, your bezel isnt going to fit it quite right. You can kinda see the gaps around the sides in the photo.
I get the feeling that the tube from any 27" flat crt hdtv would have worked. I'm not sure about the "depth" though. This tv was sold as a "SlimFit" and may have had a lower-profile tube?
Here's the specs on it.
There is another one of these tv's up for grabs in KC MO for $50 if anyone wants one.

That's a damn lucky find after the universe balanced out your karma for you :)

These are super hard to near impossible to find in Europe, only for a short time there were crt/hdmi tv's made like this.
What was the number on the tube? (A68xxxxxx?)

Wow that’s great. Looks like it fits perfectly. I gotta keep an eye out for one of these. I gotta cab In desperate need of a crt

Get a LCR meter and find out what the yoke values are. Who knows, you might be able to put an arcade chassis on it.

Argh i forgot you're not in Euroland and this tv has not scart/rgb by default :(

Back