What's new

Escher

Student
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm currently assembling my custom arcade cabinet, and was hoping someone could help clarify some aspects of the power supply system for me.

There are plenty of good resources outlining the general construction, and they all follow pretty much the exact same layout.

I currently already have my switching power supply and fuse-built-in power cable + switch.

I understand the purpose of the ac line filter (attenuating line noise both in and out), as well as the isolation transformer (reducing monitor amperage w/ a 1:1 voltage output for safety).

However, I am not using an original CRT but instead a multi-sync LCD. So I'm wondering - do I need that isolation transformer?

Also: for a power distribution block like this, does connection power to any one terminal connect power to all other terminals?

Last edited:
I understand the purpose of the ac line filter (attenuating line noise both in and out), as well as the isolation transformer (reducing monitor amperage w/ a 1:1 voltage output for safety).

However, I am not using an original CRT but instead a multi-sync LCD. So I'm wondering - do I need that isolation transformer?
Nope, you don't need one.

Also: for a power distribution block like this, does connection power to any one terminal connect power to all other terminals?
Nope, it's in the product description: "Each pair of terminals is insulated from the next, prevent circuit in disorder". You could always jumper the terminals if you wanted to.

I'm not building a cabinet but I was wondering: Should a fuse and AC line filter be used with a supergun setup as well?

So an isolation transformer is only needed for a CRT arcade monitor?

Last edited:
you dont need a filter, modern psu's and monitors have them built in.
as for a fuse, again they are already there, but it wont hurt to add another - providing you dont over-rate it or it will never blow! :D

modern psu's and monitors have them built in.
Does that include any CRT arcade monitors or are they all too old?

providing you dont over-rate it or it will never blow!
you mean "dude, take this fuse. it has over 9000 amps" is not what I want to hear? :D

Seems 1,6A or 2A (230V) would be closer to ideal.

even 1980 monitors like the classic G07 have filters & fuses.

as for the fuse, take the maximum of your stuff and add it up.

so an example.

monitor 3a @ 12v (lcd) is going to be something like 200ma at 230v but we will call it 1a.
psu is probably fused at 2a
extra shit like amplifiers, illumination etc 1a.

just call it 3-5a

old machines with crt's and 7a psu's used to be fused at 3a btw.

Back