What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.

XtraSmiley

Legendary
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm starting to get the parts together so I can join the DS Multi-Club! (waiting for restock!!!!) But after looking around at some of the awesome builds, I decided to check out the install directions. I noticed that you have to cut a post from the case and the board is quite large with high standing pins. I wonder now that it has been a few years, DS do you plan on refining the board to make it smaller or more compact while also negating the need to cut the post?

If you haven't thought about it before, what do you think now?

And as always, Mahalo for making this!

EDIT: Since so many people are fixated on the part about removing the post, I thought I'd expand some reasons from what others have said below. Things like updated pin header, connection between boards, faster loading times, cheaper cost, etc. There is ALWAYS a reason to look at new and improved revisions. Maybe the time and cost don't make it worth it right now, but it's not a "never" thing.

Last edited:
The benefits of the multi as it is, especially with the key writing update, greatly outweighs losing a trivial plastic post in the installation process.

The kit fits perfectly and runs perfectly. 100%. I don't think there's a need for another revision or version, EVER.

I’d argue a pin header for the 4 connections required for the key writing update would be nice, but can’t think of much else.

I also suggest a key-writing header could be added if the pcb was being revised. But I've no complaints. It was easy enough to fit and trimming a post instead of weakening the pcb is a small sacrifice.

Are you seriously asking for a whole production revision for one plastic post??

giphy.gif

Nope, just a suggestion for a simple change if a revision ever happens. I’m sure people can come up with all sorts of things. Are any of them worth the hassle? Beats me but yep a header would be a lot better than requiring soldering to sensitive test pads. Edit: oh you are taking about the need to remove the plastic post. None of this warrants a revision but even that could have consideration if a major revision happens. I plan to eventually get the metal case when more of those are made. Really the only revision that would be worthy would be one a lot cheaper to produce and probably only if demand increased.

I've been thinking about it and definitely adding a header and a couple other of improvements that I have in mind could be done ( :thumbsup: )
The main problem is that as soon as I touch the design of the CPS2 I should go full steam with it because some important production costs will incur.

In short:
would a v2 of the CPS2 Multi will have sense: YES
Will we work on it: Maybe in the future
Will it look nicer if we do it: Definitely
Will it increase the price of the multi: NOPE

I like the idea of Darksoft revisiting the hardware to make an updated version.
What I don't like is the idea of Darksoft not working on a future multi BECAUSE he is spending time to make an updated version.

IMO its more important that DS continue to bring us future multis, unless the design of the original is in some way flawed.
CPS2 is perfectly functional, it just could use some refinement in the form of headers for key write etc.

The main thing I'd like to see revised tbh is the connection method between the two boards. I know it's a lot of pins to deal with but man do I hate that little connector :p

When I installed my CPS2 multi, I didn't remove the entire shell post. Rather, I shaved it down some on one side so that the multi would fit.

Are you seriously asking for a whole production revision for one plastic post??

giphy.gif
No, please read my post then everyone else's posts... your gif really does reflect my feelings when I get replies like this though, so thanks! :P

For all those that replied with useful info, thank you. Without having the board I think it's hard for me to know what could be improved, but at a minimum I'd like to save the plastic post if possible, but also the connection pin seems very, delicate, but DS has made a note of it, so that's good.

That being said, for many of you naysayers, it's easy for you b/c you already have your multi. For future purchasers though, improvements are ALWAYS welcome. I mean, how many people would complain about using the original, encrypted ROMS if DS had actually asked about it before implementing? If he said, hey, I could update the multi to use encrypted ROMS, but it might take TIME away from other multi projects I'm working on now, I bet many would say, no DS, don't do that... :P
I've been thinking about it and definitely adding a header and a couple other of improvements that I have in mind could be done ( :thumbsup: )
The main problem is that as soon as I touch the design of the CPS2 I should go full steam with it because some important production costs will incur.

In short:
DS, thank you again for your answers! I'd really like to see:

In short:
Will we work on it: No time like the present!!!!!!
Will it DECREASE the price of the multi: YES!!!!!

well definitely you'd get a real flavour of what is really needed when you get a cps2 multi yourself.

Problem as I said, is that any change be it small or big, makes you incur in significant costs to which you need to add the time spent modifying design, gerbers, pick and place, etc.

well definitely you'd get a real flavour of what is really needed when you get a cps2 multi yourself.

Problem as I said, is that any change be it small or big, makes you incur in significant costs to which you need to add the time spent modifying design, gerbers, pick and place, etc.
Yes of course! I am VERY excited. Need a multi board to order from Paradise, and a HAS... soon, very soon I hope!!

In short:
Definitely things to keep in mind for the CPS1 multi, amiright, right? :p :D

I would take a 2nd unit for tate if it gets a clean revision with nice headers and professional made security cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back