What's new

Geddon

Professional
Reaction score
I have a few pvms but don’t really want to put one on it’s side, but would like a monitor to use for vertical games on occasion. I actually have a vertical mame cab with some dell lcd monitor that does a decent job. I think it is an ips. Anyway I bought that years and years ago so I’m wondering if there is anything better, 24” or so would be fine. I have an ossc and a framemeister to connect my supergun to. Any monitor suggestions for this purpose? One day I might pick up a candy cab and set it vertical but they are hard to come by in my area (Virginia)

It's really hard to recommend the LG B6 for a small gaming setup, when the smallest size it comes in is 55".
If you are talking about a LCD/OLED/QLED for use with a OSSC however, the support just couldn't get any better.

I'll bullet point it out for you what makes it so damn special...
  • Support for 1600x1200 (5x) resolution
  • Support for sub 60hz syncs (I've had 58.8hz | R-Type lock)
  • Support for over 60hz syncs (I've had 60.1hz | SNES lock)
Also keeping in-line with the topic, the viewing angles on OLED are really good no matter what orientation you have the screen.

There were some recommendations for 27" and OSSC at the SHMUPS forum. They were mostly Gsync and over $300.. PVM to my understanding can be placed sideways.. according to the Sony Tech, the BVM 24" and 32" should not.. the thing that I am starting to like abou LCD is not dealing with geometry issues, never bothered me before because I never looked for it but now I am starting to see it on CRT.

I have two BenQ LCD's that I did extensive research about for use in TATE mode. Best thing about these two is they come with a stand that you can rotate easily from Hori. and Vert.

16:10 - BenQ BL2700HT - 27"
16:9 - BenQ BL2411PT - 24"

For authentic feel on Xbox 360 Shmups, add a cheap VGA scanline generator and you're 100% good to go.

Both come with my highest recommendation, choose the aspect ratio you want the best and go with it.

I have a BenQ RL2755HM on a gas-lift monitor arm so I can go Tate when required. This is the monitor that they use/used at EVO, along with the 24” version, as they’re incredibly low lag, about 1ms... I use it with my OSSC too and everything works perfectly.

Can you expand on this statement?What sync ranges/systems have you tested?
Can you display 5x 1600x1200?
I had someone test their Undamned CPS2 with the OSSC on the same monitor and at 5x scaling there are a few pixels cut off the top on ST X

at 5x scaling there are a few pixels cut off the top on ST X
That means they were likely running the 5x mode @ 1920x1080, which is achieved by cropping.
If you run 5x mode @ 1600x1200 you experience zero cropping, at least with OSSC.
Again why this is important because not all monitors support this mode (and its the best esp with 4:4:4 color space, it's basically a sub-4K/HDR).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that seems about right.

I actually said the same monitor but didnt notice it was a 27 not a 24. So this was run on the RL2455HM version but apart from screen size there should be no difference I believe.

For ST I am quite happy with just that slight cropping, I'm not losing anything important in the crop.

Yes, it’s a 1080p monitor so I’ve been running everything at that setting on the OSSC. I did cycle through all the available resolutions on the OSSC and I’m sure the monitor managed to sync with everything... I’ll have another fiddle later with the settings as there’s a black border on the bottom in 1080p.

I have an AES, SuperGrafx and Supergun going through a scart switch into the OSSC, the Dreamcast is connected via a VGA box.

Back