What's new

Swirl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there's a shopping cart or a definitive list of capacitors that should be purchased when recapping the 20L5?

I know the M2/M4 and a few other PVMs are pretty much well documented (along with a shopping cart readily available), but I haven't seen or read much about the 20L5 when searching around the web. I asked around in a few communities and not much was said or I'm given the usual: "Ask Savon-Pat" response which isn't helpful.

That said, has anyone recapped a 20L5 before and have a list of caps that are tested/recommended? A list or some pointers would be beneficial to those who need theirs repaired down the line.

At the SHMUPS forum they posted this many moons ago, I think.. your best bet is to hit up Sovpat (Sony retired Tech) on eBay and ask him to provide and sell you a kit cap.

lol that's literally the unhelpful answer he said he found at other forums :D

I'll ask a buddy, I know he does a ton of recaps and has at least owned an L5 in the past. Not sure if he did it or kept notes, but it's worth a shot.

lol that's literally the unhelpful answer he said he found at other forums :D

I'll ask a buddy, I know he does a ton of recaps and has at least owned an L5 in the past. Not sure if he did it or kept notes, but it's worth a shot.
I would appreciate that if you could ask your friend for their notes or whatever information they have on hand.

I was asking around and noticed not much was said or asked about recapping these things. Kind of surprising since alot of people talk about the L5 series in particular. Nonetheless it would be helpful if we can get a list out there in case people are experiencing abnormalities, recapping could resolve the issue(s).

Thanks in advance.
At the SHMUPS forum they posted this many moons ago, I think.. your best bet is to hit up Sovpat (Sony retired Tech) on eBay and ask him to provide and sell you a kit cap.
I was directed to Pat several times in various places. I actually spoke to him directly about a cap kit or list, but he was extremely vague at first, mentioned he knows nothing about the L5 series and stopped responding.

On Reddit a few users mentioned he's been quiet and "playing dumb" after someone called him out on upcharging kits that have cheap/faulty capacitors. Quite frankly I didn't bother to pursue any further; I'm not the kind of person to constantly pester and pry tbvh.

sorry to hear that about Pat... Maybe he got tired of answering the same questions and dealing with challenging customers. Try searching at the shmups forum or asking there as well... I know that I saw a tread of caps replacement kit for professional monitors a while back.

Cap List is in the service manual. Start on page 7-11. The caps are labeled C1 through C2413. You only need to order and replace the ones labeled "ELECT". Skip the "CHIP" and "CERAMIC" caps.

I can also confirm from first-hand experience that Pat sells low-quality caps in his Ebay cap kits. And he only sends you the 12 or so that he says are "most likely" to fail. Considering that he charges $40 for less than $2 worth of caps, I recommend avoiding his Ebay sales.

Cap List is in the service manual. Start on page 7-11. The caps are labeled C1 through C2413. You only need to order and replace the ones labeled "ELECT". Skip the "CHIP" and "CERAMIC" caps.

I can also confirm from first-hand experience that Pat sells low-quality caps in his Ebay cap kits. And he only sends you the 12 or so that he says are "most likely" to fail. Considering that he charges $40 for less than $2 worth of caps, I recommend avoiding his Ebay sales.
I saw your comment on the post I made in that group; appreciate the heads up on there (and here). Gotta get around to looking at the manual since things have been hectic on my end, but I understand how to read the parts list now.

Thanks again.
My buddy hasn't done the deed, but he does host a service manual which includes the caps. There are... a lot

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdcv8pwl3e13a55/PVM20L5-14L5 Service Manual.pdf?dl=0

and a note from the shmups thread recap sheet: "Sony PVM 20L5: Replace 4.7µF 160v capacitors with 10µF 250V ones. The capacitors on the deflection circuit tend to go first."
That's not a problem, at least the manual is mirrored elsewhere aside from the manualslib site. I appreciate you asking if he messed around with the L5.

Gonna Necro this. Anyone have the geometry cap list for the L5?

I bought a cap kit off Pat for my M4 and was super disappointed to get 17 Chinese caps for $50us.

As someone who recently re-capped a JVC PVM, it's not that bad but it takes time and patience. I took pictures of the boards then edited the .jpg on my PC with labels showing each cap spec, then spent about 3 hours on Digi-Key getting all the caps, cost about $25 and the JVC fired right up on my first try. :) I have quite a bit of soldering experience so if you have good equipment and the time to do it correctly then you should be good to go.

I actually have an L5 on the way and will most likely be performing another recap on it down the road.

Good luck and report back! :)

Back