What's new

lukemorse1

Professional
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Sega Model 3 board The Ocean Hunter which has almost zero info as to wiring goes on the net, especially for the guns so Im providing the information I found when wiring mine up. (I still have yet to make a video of it in action although Ive already beaten it a couple times) I need to get on that.

Nonetheless, here is how it goes.
After taking a look at some of the other Model 3 boards and the filter board pinouts, I was able to find the correct pinouts to wire it up. Some things I found for my own set up were that although the Y axis pots were wired normally with +5 and GND on the pot, I had to reverse +5v and GND for the X axis on both for Player 1 and 2. (Im using original mounted guns for Beast Busters)

The connectors used for wiring this system are as follows:

CN VGA 1 (Video Display)
CN 1 (Player 2 gun positioning X,Y)
CN 2 (Player 1 and 2 Start Buttons and Trigger buttons)
CN 8 (Sound Left and Right + and -)
CN 13 (3.3v , 5v, GND Input)
*CN 12* (5V and GND *OUTPUT* ONLY) Best Not to use.
CN 11 (Player 1 Gun Positioning X, Y)
CN 14 (+5 and GND INPUT ONLY)
CN 16 (+12v and Gnd. Pin 1= +12 , Pin 3= GND , Pin 2 not used)

On CN 2, Pin 1 is Player 1 Coin In, Pin 2 is Player 2 Coin In (if set to Freeplay, you do not need to wire these pins in) Inside the cage on the pcb are service and test buttons as well so no need to wire those either). Pin 7 is Player 1 START, Pin 8 is Player 2 START. Pins 9 and 10 are for Player 1 trigger buttons. Pins 17 and 18 are for Player 2 Trigger buttons. The original cab had 2 trigger buttons but if you are using a single shoot gun set up you can wire those 2 pins together for 1 trigger. You can get your GND from CN 12 if needed. These are all the pins you will need for wiring on CN 2

CN 13, CN 14, and CN 16 are your power inputs. (Im 99% sure of these inputs but always make sure that you double the screen print on the filterboard and it does say INPUT. Wire the voltages accordingly to the picture here.

*CN 12* is a special connector, originally used for the recoil on the guns I believe but not necessary to use. this should be OUTPUT only so DONT wire in your positive voltage here. (maybe even best to avoid using this one all together)

CN 11 is your Player 1 X and Y axis. A/D 0 CH will be your X (I believe its X ) and A/D 2 CH is your Y. VCC is your +5v and GND is your ground. Keep in mind that the X and Y may be reversed and to always use separate VCC and GND for each channel, its better that way. These are the only points you will use from this connector.

CN 1 Is your Player 2 X and Y axis. Once again, A/D 1 CH is your X (I believe its X) and A/D 3 CH is your Y. Just like player 1 controls, make sure to keep the power separate for each channel and if you notice that your guns for whatever reason are backwards i.e. X and Y are switched, just change the middle pin channel wire.
If you find that the directions are reversed, change the VCC and GND wires to the opposite posts.

These are the only connectors you will need to get the system to work. There is no separate I/O board used for controls or video, just the connector I mentioned here.

Please use the pinout on the filter board attached to help you out.

As far as gameplay goes, the game is not difficult (Even on Hard settings) but it is a fun game to play. It just could have been a bit longer, and more difficult to make it the perfect game.

Hopefully this will help you guys out there if you get this game and here is to keeping more of these systems going.

Attachments

• sega_model3_pcb_arcde_filter_board_pinout.gif
    sega_model3_pcb_arcde_filter_board_pinout.gif
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,016
Got three of these up on racks at the work warehouse. It's been a solid earner, but fading finally. had contemplated going for the board next one we toss, but am not so big on the "on rails" shooter experience....especially with the pot-based mounted guns. Jurassic, Walking Dead, Transformers, Lets Go Jungle, the new Halo 4 player...man...I wish they'd come up with an alternative as a player.

As a tech though....those pot-based guns take a beating. Way better than Operation Ghost, or Terminator/Aliens IR rifles.

Got three of these up on racks at the work warehouse. It's been a solid earner, but fading finally. had contemplated going for the board next one we toss, but am not so big on the "on rails" shooter experience....especially with the pot-based mounted guns. Jurassic, Walking Dead, Transformers, Lets Go Jungle, the new Halo 4 player...man...I wish they'd come up with an alternative as a player.

As a tech though....those pot-based guns take a beating. Way better than Operation Ghost, or Terminator/Aliens IR rifles.
I agree. some of the on rails experiences are a bit simple in design and dont offer a whole lot of variety but the mounted guns with pots sure do take a beating and even in really rough condition they still manage to work. I think the average number of turns for a single pot is something like 70,000 turns so when you compare that to the light gun or gun sensor games of today its pretty impressive.

The Jurassic Park 2s and Virtual Cop sensor bars burning out those diode emitters and receivers in both the guns and around the bezel are such a pita to pick up and replace for a reasonable amount. 1 pot = $8 or so, 1 HOTD GN SENSOR board = $45+. I think this is one of the reasons why I like the mounted guns even though they restrict movement quite a lot.

The evil world of arcade parts lol.

Yeah...I got lucky recently, and I got 2 complete sets of the IR sensors, as well as some guns...and a gunboard w/wiring to Sega Analogue IO. Hope to make it work on one of the cabs eventually.

Can the Ocean Hunter be played with the same "flightstick" as in Solar Assault, uses 5K pots I believe ?

If so I want to buy an Ocean Hunter :D

Can the Ocean Hunter be played with the same "flightstick" as in Solar Assault, uses 5K pots I believe ?

If so I want to buy an Ocean Hunter :D
Yes, that set up should work fine. It will be like Jurassic Park that way but will work the same none the less ^^

Perfect for th ed S-JIHP!

@bagheera369 If they do eventually toss the pcbs try to snag me one too! :) Actually I'm interested in any pcbs they toss that you aren't! ;)

If you don't like Mounted guns you could probably also play this with the Sega IR guns from House of the Dead 2/Lost World/etc. Worse case you might need to invert the analog channels but it should work.

That's an interesting idea...along with using a 5kpot'd flightstick controller too. Something to keep in mind for sure.

@Mitsurugi-w - If I come across anything else, Ill give you a shout.
I am still giddy from the whole Virtua Cop3 setup...512mb netdimm, chihiro, gdrom, sun psu, etc. Very stoked.

Years ago I took an old sony ps1 twin stick controller and made a 2 player controller for my Jurassic Park PCB.
This is quite old but just as an example for anyone interested.

That's an interesting idea...along with using a 5kpot'd flightstick controller too. Something to keep in mind for sure.

@Mitsurugi-w - If I come across anything else, Ill give you a shout.
I am still giddy from the whole Virtua Cop3 setup...512mb netdimm, chihiro, gdrom, sun psu, etc. Very stoked.
Virtua Cop 3 is a really fun one no doubt about it. The slow motion graphics and overall design of the game are quite good. One of my favs in my collection. You will love it for sure.

I hope so...I only have one gun cab, at the moment, but I have A51/Max;A51Site4;Point Blank;Point Blank 2;Target Terror;Police Trainer;Time Crisis2;Time Crisis3;IR sensors and guns for all the Chihiro/Naomi stuff;JP:Lost World, and Ninja Assault setups.

I don't know how I will ever rotate all that through one cab...but I'm damn sure going to try. :D

I hope so...I only have one gun cab, at the moment, but I have A51/Max;A51Site4;Point Blank;Point Blank 2;Target Terror;Police Trainer;Time Crisis2;Time Crisis3;IR sensors and guns for all the Chihiro/Naomi stuff;JP:Lost World, and Ninja Assault setups.

I don't know how I will ever rotate all that through one cab...but I'm damn sure going to try. :D
That is seriously awesome, Ive been trying to get my Ninja Assault set up going for many years but without the JYU222 I/O it just sits and does nothing, maybe some day.

My set up is quite like yours but using the mounted guns. Ive got a moveable rack with my shooting games on it including:

Rambo, lets go jungle, lets go island, 2 spicy, house of the dead 4, house of the dead 2, house of the dead 3, Primeval Hunt, the ocean hunter, virtual cop 3, ghost squad, maze of the kings and confidential mission

On my light gun rack I have:

Point blank 3, Lord of gun, ranger mission, jurassic park 2, jurassic park 3, crypt killers

They are both fun for sure mouted guns and light ones.

Thanks for that...forgot about Championship Sports and Ranger Mission in my list. :D

Man...if you are interested in a trade...I'd be all over that PB3 board....Ninja Assault complete set, and anything else I have you'd be interested in...just say the word.

Both setups you have are amazing. I wish my company had picked up some Let's go Island's...it looks pretty sweet!

Haha, Yeah, those 2 games are fun as well.

As far as my PB3 pcb goes unfortunately Im not up for parting with it atm. The game is lots of fun for everyone especially with all the different mini games.

I used to own the entire cabinet but it was way to big and took up a ton of space so I took the parts out I needed (everything except the wooden cab) and simplified it into a smaller set up.

I also have 1 home made Silent Hill Arcade rack that I play from time to time. Another good one

Lets go Island is neat but the whole compatability theme with you and the person you play the game with. This game and LGJ are a bit strange in that aspect. One of the things I like about The ocean hunter not having that in it lol.

Back