What's new

flynn2000

Beginner
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had a problem with my Nanao MS-2931 OSD in my Blast City. Turns out it was a wire that had been pinched and severed. Fixed that and I am now trying to fix my screen convergence and would like to throw up a grid and other test patterns but the test button doesn't do anything when pushed. The other two buttons work and I even switched buttons around to see if I had a bad switch, to no avail. Am I being silly and missing something here?

Is your Blast wired for Jamma?
Check if the wire on the button has continuity to pin 15 on the Jamma edge and the other pin should be ground.

I ran one lead of my meter to the test switch terminal and the other lead to all of the JAMMA pins and got the continuity at pin 15. So I guess I have continuity. Sorry I'm a little out of my depth on this. My arcade machine knowledge is from the early 80's 'classic' realm and the're a bit simpler than this. Hell, I didn't even know what the Passive PCB I/O board was until today.

A few more details: The control panel is totally disconnected and removed, though I don't see how that would have an effect, and I am using a Raiden DX PCB.

What about the other wire from the test button there should be two? One as you say goes to pin 15 (test pin on jamma board) the other wire should go to ground (either end of jamma pinout) so when you press the test button you effectively ground pin 15.

I was thinking that since the button next to it worked, the ground must be connected, but I just gave it a test and I'm getting a reading from the JAMMA grounds.

By the way, thanks to both PascalP and tiff_lee.

So you have continuity from the test button to ground and pin 15? If that's the case and pressing the button doesn't initiate test mode it can only mean either the button or jamma board you're using is defective.

Check continuity from pin 15 to ground it should be open circuit. then press the test button and it should be short circuit.

I have tried two different PCB's, so that can't be the problem. It may be a continuity thing after all. I'm new to this and it is very hard to do without three hands, but I put one lead of my meter to the post on the switch and the other to the 15 spot on the JAMMA connector and get numbers on the display whether the button is pushed in or not. The numbers should fall to 1 when the button is pushed, as I get it. If the continuity is bad, does that mean that I have to hunt down a break in the wire or a faulty connection?

The problem is probably that Raiden DX doesn't have a test button. You have to use the dip sw to enter test.
RaidenDx.JPG

Attachments

• RaidenDx.JPG
    RaidenDx.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 164
You could be right Blackfish. I plugged in my ARpiCADE and the test button brings up the configure screen on it. I tried both Raiden DX and Heavy Barrel and got no test, but maybe they both use dips. I know the PCB's do have dip switches on them, I just don't know what they all do.

A great 4th to all!

P.S. I just used a dip switch to bring up the diagnostic screen on Raiden DX. I don't have the control panel connected at the moment so I can't get to the rest of the test menu, but I think this is it. Strange that some games didn't use the test button. Thanks again for the help everyone. I can now finish with my home made convergence strips and put this beast back together and actually play it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the PDF link. Being a collector of early 80's games, KLOV is where I hang out the most. I'm just one of those strange people that like both the golden age games and the JAMMA, silver age games.

By the way. The Blast City I just got has some kind of card reader embedded in the control panel in place of the player two controls. It's like a tumor growing out of the CP. I guess this was a way for arcade players to transfer save games and player stats between various machines. Anyone have any info on this?

Depending on what CP you have its possibly for Tekken 5

One player with three buttons. The 'moves card' thing is from a 'Persona' game, I think.

I just realised that i wished a happy 4th of July to people, who most of which are probably no from the USA. ^^

Back