What's new

Geddon

Professional
Reaction score
My new Astro city cab is in pretty rough shape. Power supply has become extremely flaky lately and the jamma edge connector is in bad shape. So I want to replace the power supply and jamma harness.

My main concern is how to wire up power for the monitor and the power supply has test switches and a volume knob so if I put a regular supply in the cab I need to figure out something for those. Do the monitors in these cabs use an isolation transformer? Quick search and people seem to say that they don’t, so that’s one less thing to think about.

Any recommendations for how to go about doing this? I have a new switching supply I got from somewhere. I’ll post what it is. If any of you have a recommendation you think I should go with instead I’ll be listening.

So basic questions, what power supply would you use and where can I get a nice new jamma harness?

I would suggest getting the original Power Supply you have repaired and refurbished. I recently did that to mine and it's working a real treat now. It was blowing fuses before. You can always check Yaton's auctions on eBay for a replacement Sega PSU, but unsure what condition it will be in.

Failing those two options, there's this kit made in Australia:
https://www.highway.net.au/arcade-p...ansformers/sega-atx-power-supply/17180-1.html

Can't recommend it though, never tried it, but it's out there and fits your requirements.

My NAC cab definitely has a isolation transformer.

Regarding re-wiring the cab, it's something I want to do, but there doesn't seem to be NOS NAC harness kits available or repro's anymore. I saw that Yaton's been selling the wiring ripped out of AC's and NAC's, but being sourced from a used cab in China, I'd be weary about the reliability of it ultimately.

If I go the refurbish route, who does that?
I'm in Australia unfortunately, so that's not going to be any help.

I'm sure if you post your location, someone on here will point you in the right direction.

yaton had a few astro city power supplies available on ebay, but he has recently taken down all his ebay listings :(

Your next best bet is YAJ

I see a few on yaj for astro city. Would that work? I also found some cap kits for a few new Astro supplies here

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.co...8-01z-power-supply-pcb-cap-kit-105c-nichicon/

I guess next step I need to find out he exact supply I have. I definitely want to put in a new jamma harness as the connector is in awful shape. I suppose I could go the route where I solder wires and heat shrink insulate and keep the original connectors and whatnot, or find new connectors and pins.

The cab is dirty inside. I never bothered cleaning it, so maybe now is the time for an overhaul. I want to paint the speaker assembly too. Not sure if I’ll go black or white. Both look good from what I’ve seen. I also ordered lions marquee kit and some art for some of my favorite games. So it should be pretty sweet when I get this thing I shape.

I emailed arcadepartsandrepair and they said they could likely build a cap kit for any candy power supply. They just have kits for 2 types of new Astro supplies right now. That’s pretty awesome. He also said they have over 4 million parts. So I think I’ll go that route to start and try and refurbish my supply.

do you guys use a step down converter? I actually have one but have never used it. Most people seem to just say japanese shit runs on US power just fine. Is there anything you use a converter for?

That’s a good question on the step down converter. I have them on my Vewlix and Blast City. Some people told me they are not needed, and others say they are. The cabinet expects 100v, so it just makes sense to me to give it the voltage it expects, and not more.

Regarding the stepdown, most PSU’s are rated 100-120V so that should be OK, but most monitors are rated 100v, so I would use a stepdown in the US ;)

most monitors are rated 100v, so I would use a stepdown in the US ;)
Same goes for the marquee lighting. Not using a stepdown does some very fun things to the monitor/marquee lighting in the US. Strobing and wobbling and the speakers cutting in and out in time with the strobe.

Ok, I think the one I have is a crappy 500w. Anyone have a recommendation for a nice one suitable for a candy cab? Then I’m wondering what you do for grounding?

I use these from Amazon. . . . VCT VT-500J .jpeg

Use stepdowns in USA people!
Power supplies are all different, some more picky than others.
The Wei Ya PSU that comes stock in a Vewlix will DESTROY arcade PCBs if you don't use a step down (it will pulse the 12v line wildly until the onboard audio amp of the JAMMA board just blows out).

I got a NVS 4000-02x on Yahoo auction and I'm using on my NAC for almost 2 years. Great PSU, there's a over voltage protection system that saved my boards and life literally some times.

Ive never used a step down for any of my cabinets. I guess if you really wanna play it safe, then it's cheap enough to get one.

I'd be inclined to go with an internally mounted transformer over one of these boxes.
Internally mounted transformer you say?
These cabs don't have a ton of extra space in that area, what would the footprint of a quality transformer be?
IDK if I would be keen on hacking anything up, I've gone to what some might describe as "retarded" lengths to restore my Vewlix cabs to stock (even at the expense of functionality).

Back