What's new
Recently been hunting around for some 3" 4ohm 30watt speakers for the New Astro City...

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has come across anything on Aliexpress or around the way that is recommended...

For sure, good find. I was just referencing the speakers these guys recommend ;) Might have to pick up a set myself to try out in NAC.
Yeah likewise, I did try finding them on alibaba as they would be even cheaper then but in larger lots

Wow that seems ridiculously cheap!
Four of these speakers arrived today: installed a pair into one of my New Astro's and I see what you're saying... they're not as "LOUD" as the original speakers, but I hear some clearer definition and colour in the sound now. It could be missing some "LOW END" but in hindsight that was probably artificial boom (like hitting Loudness on a Discman).

I'll see how I go over the next month, but for the moment I'm glad with the upgrade, well better than the Aiyama speakers I tried from aliexpress, and at $11 a piece from that seller shipped to Australia was a real bargain.

Cheers for the recommendation again ya'll!

Wow that seems ridiculously cheap!
Four of these speakers arrived today: installed a pair into one of my New Astro's and I see what you're saying... they're not as "LOUD" as the original speakers, but I hear some clearer definition and colour in the sound now. It could be missing some "LOW END" but in hindsight that was probably artificial boom (like hitting Loudness on a Discman).
I'll see how I go over the next month, but for the moment I'm glad with the upgrade, well better than the Aiyama speakers I tried from aliexpress, and at $11 a piece from that seller shipped to Australia was a real bargain.

Cheers for the recommendation again ya'll!
Anyone know the power rating of the amp built into the power supply? According to the manual the speakers are 30W which I would presume is peak power, just like the LG speakers being 45W (peak), a more powerful amp may yield some better results

Update:

I had the LG speakers installed for a while on one of my NAC's, but still wasn't happy with them as the volume just wasn't there and I didn't want to really crank the volume on my PCBs too hard. I decided to grab my multimeter to measure the ohms on the speakers, and low and behold. The LG ones that are being sold as 4ohm are actually 8ohm. Which explains why the volume is so shitty. The stock speakers measured on the multimeter are 4ohm.

Pretty peeved off that these are sold all over the shop as 4ohm when they are in fact not. Do not recommend anyone gets these. The hunt for a perfect replacement continues!

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't really see it as an issue tbh.

Thanks for the info, djsheep. I installed the LG speakers in my New Astro over the weekend. I haven't played with the volume much, but I did notice the sound quality seemed better. I'd prefer to not create extra stress on the PCBs, so I'll probably be looking for a better set of 4Ohm speakers too. Keep us updated on your search for a better replacement!

It's definitely an issue as they're 8ohm speakers rated at 45w and misleadingly sold as 4ohm.

The specs for the New Astro City are 30w/4ohm. From what I can gather, it's not going to do any damage on a 4ohm setup really, but they'll also only run at 50%. I don't want to crank my boards up and the volume knob on the PSU to 100% to arrive at decent volume on my cab. If my any of my other cabs are running, there's no way you can hear anything on the cab, it gets drowned out instantly.

It's definitely an issue as they're 8ohm speakers rated at 45w and misleadingly sold as 4ohm.
The specs for the New Astro City are 30w/4ohm. From what I can gather, it's not going to do any damage on a 4ohm setup really, but they'll also only run at 50%. I don't want to crank my boards up and the volume knob on the PSU to 100% to arrive at decent volume on my cab. If my any of my other cabs are running, there's no way you can hear anything on the cab, it gets drowned out instantly.
While all of that is true, it is weird that for me it's not that big of a difference, I only need to crank the volume knob up slightly more than usual, that's why I said it doesn't really bother me. You could possibly convert the drivers to 4 ohm, but that's hardly worth the effort, better be looking for proper 4 ohm speakers then...

@Sp33dFr34k what PSU is in your NAC? Maybe that's the point of difference... Both of mine are 400-5198-01.

On most PCBs with the volume turned up to 3/4, I'd be pushing the pot on the PSU to 9/10 to get an adequate volume.

Maybe my ears are buggered!

@djsheep I am using the NVS4000 PSU, I am definitely not anywhere near that. I am usually setting the games at about 1/2 to 3/4, but the volume knob on the NVS4000 is not even halfway open, I'd say about 1/3.

That's could be it. Unsure if the NVS4000 drives the speakers better or has an amp for the Mono? Still, it could be the abuse I've given my ears of the years too.

Do you have them wired as mono? In series? That would mean it equals to 16ohm on your amp!

That would explain why they sound so muted

Last edited:
Back