What's new

SEGASHIRO

Professional
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

It's been awhile but I finally have some time to sort through some arcade stuff again. Anyway, my friend and I are trying to get an old SNK rotary cabinet up and running (Guerilla War). We are pretty much close to the end but all the monitor solutions are giving us problems.

We tried a gonbes gbs-8220 but Guerilla War refuses to run via that method. The screen just stays on a static screen. The other boards we tried work but the rotary games seem particularly laggy. So it wasn't a decent solution even when it worked.

So, instead we tried a jrok via component going to a Toshiba consumer set.

We tried a couple of boards - final fight and fighter's history. Every time we booted it up we got proper colors and an image but a rolling screen (and by rolling, I mean the image was doing all sorts strange movements around the screen).

I thought that the setup may require a sync cleaner so we added an SC sync chip and nothing really changed. The image was still moving around like crazy. It almost looks what an arcade monitor looks like when you play around with the adjustments and the image is rolling.

Anyone dealt with something like this -? Is the JROK screwed up? Do we just need to try a completely different set of boards? Do we need to add an additional resistor to the sync chip to change it from TTL to something more usable by a consumer set?

We also tried the same setup and jamma boards on JVC consumer CRT and it gave us the same thing. We then tried on a component input on an old LCD monitor and it didn't see a signal at all.

Now, unfortunately I was given the JROK from a friend who in a fit of video signal processing passion disabled the s-video and regular composite line but cutting those lines with a small but well placed drill hole. So, I can't test those...unless I buy another JROK from somewhere.

Thanks for your ideas!

That solution is intense...anyone have a simpler one that I could try before jumping into the deep?

It's a pity the composite line was cut as you could have probably used that as sync and solved your problems.

To me, it seems like the sync signal isn't strong enough, thus the image rolling.

Can you not reconnect the composite line with a jumper and use composite as sync, as @Frank_fjs suggested?

Tried a jrok sync cleaner? Maybe it's identical to the sync cleaner you've already tried, but maybe not, and it's designed to be paired with the v4.1 encoder.

Can you not reconnect the composite line with a jumper and use composite as sync, as @Frank_fjs suggested?

Tried a jrok sync cleaner? Maybe it's identical to the sync cleaner you've already tried, but maybe not, and it's designed to be paired with the v4.1 encoder.
I wonder if this JROK is just screwed up and that I should order one with the proper sync cleaner.

Back