Sega Blast City refurb / guide

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sega Blast City refurb / guide

I recently bought two blast city cabs from KC, and though they're both working they are filled with cancer and need some love all around. I thought I'd consolidate my notes and photos into one thread in case someone else wants to get this job done. This is Work-in-progress right now. Also if I run into any problems maybe the pro's here can chime in. This could take a while so I'll keep it updated as I go.

First, some resources I've been using:
      Arcade Otaku Blast City Wiring Guide
      Video on dismantling a blast city
      @skate323k137 teaching me how to pick dimple locks
      How to build a crt discharge tool
      How to wash a crt monitor
      Nanao MS-2933
      Nanao MS-2931

Next, the cabs. Both booted up, one has a bit of a buzz coming from the monitor. Neither are perfect on the edges or corners, but a full re-cap is part of the plan so hopefully that helps out. Both cabs are super dirty inside, which was to be expected. Both had jamma looms and 2L12B panels, though I'll be replacing those with Jasen's since he has a universal lever mount and I want to try some different sticks out.

I'll follow up in separate posts but the goals are:

Simple Green bath for everything
      PSU Re-cap including Audio Board
      Chassis Recap
      Install one as a vertical monitor
      New CP's
      Misc: locks, keys, stickers, art
      Experimentation
      Possible rewiring for other uses
      multis: cps* ttx1/2 gnet f3 mvs sega st-v/16b/24/c2/naomi(netboot) sys2x6 m72
      cabs: sega blast city x2 | taito vewlix c + egret ii
      links: klov/vaps games list | custom fight sticks
      projects: re2 stuff, back to conversions

The post was edited 1 time, last by ekorz ().

• PSU Re-cap including Audio Board

Ian Kellogg's store is still closed, so I ordered cap kits from Arcade Parts & Repair. PSU guide from Arcade Otaku was helpful, and pointed me to buy an Evercool PSU-REP-2PIN7MM replacement fan from ebay.

First up, disassembly. Despite the connector looking quite firmly attached on the inside, it's really just slid together. The four outermost screws were easy to remove (used JIS screwdrivers, not sure if they're Phillips or not...) and after that the PSU just slides right out after that.

Then it's just a matter of some case screws to get to the guts. Be sure to unplug the fan, then the side panels each hold one pcb. One side has the power supply, the other has the audio board. There are two screws on the front panel that keep these upright, and one on the rear, then the panels can fold away. You can unplug everything, but each board does have a couple connectors that are the same pin orientation, so keep track of which one goes where.

Then, I doused simple green on everything, and let it sit. Then washed it off with some slow running water. Next, a little IPA to push out some remaining water. Then some compressed air to blow away anything remaining.

The recap went smoothly, though a few of the caps were epoxy'd in. I let some IPA sit on the epoxy blocks for a few minutes, and then carefully separated it from the capacitors with tweezers. For the PSU I was able to get to all the caps without removing the aluminum heat sinks on either side (though I did unscrew the top lid).

PSU & Audio Board Capacitor List: wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City_PSU

Here's before and after (though it's the original fan in this photo).

The post was edited 7 times, last by ekorz ().

• Chassis Recap

After building a discharge cable, I watched the disassembly video linked in my first post and followed it to cleanly remove the monitor. It needs a bath -- the dirt has grown hair.

Nanao MS-2931 Cap Map:

Nanao MS-2933 Capacitor List:
      Display Spoiler

from: neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.…MS-2933-SW-capacitor-list

C721, C203, C232 - 100uf 16V
      C407, C401, C381 - 100uf 25V
      C406 - 100uf 50V
      C971 - 10uf 16V (BP)
      C924 - 680uf 25V
      C332 - 10uf 250V
      C930, C957, C960, C711, C927, C505, C503, C712, C723, C234, C201, C613, C609, C626 - 10uf 50V
      C454 - 1uf 100V
      C624 - 1uf 50V
      C621, C230 - 2.2uf 50V
      C922 - 2200uf 25V
      C929 - 220uf 16V
      C233 - 22uf 50V
      C531, C532 - 330uf 35V
      C506 - 330uf 25V
      C608 - 33uf 50V
      C722, C625 - 4.7uf 50V (BP)
      C614, C636 - 470uf 16V (I used 35v personally)
      C910 - 470uf 35V
      C954, C961, C535, C353, C356, C202, C231, C104, C361, C362, C607 - 47uf 16V
      C953 - 47uf 250V
      C923 - 680uf 10V
      C905 - 1200uf 200V
      C921 - 470uf 250V
      C702 - 6.8uf 250V

I've recapped both monitors. I only had to raise the temps on my tools for a few of the larger capacitors, otherwise everything came of pretty easily. The picture looks better, but the recap did not address some slight convergence and geometry issues I was hoping it would.

So I bought some convergence strips... I opted for adding the strips with one hand, while holding a little pocket mirror in the other hand. The monitors had been installed already. I was pretty anxious about having my hands inside with high voltage all around, but I was careful to avoid the anode cap. I still have a few slight geometry issues, but no idea how to resolve them since the OSD didn't seem to have adjustments that cover the situation. The convergence in the corners is much improved though. I added four strips to each monitor.

The post was edited 11 times, last by ekorz ().

• Blast I/O Recap

I figured the easiest way to wash the cab was to remove everything first. So heck, why not pop out this passive blast city I/O and re-cap that while I'm at it?? I had a bunch of spare 220uf's so I gave it a shot.

This thing was AWFUL to work on. I am guessing all the capacitors are just tied to a big ground plate, and it was very hard for me to get the vias heated with my home workstation. I ended up having to blast an area with a heat gun, then add more direct heat with my iron, which had a large tip too. Even then I'm not really that happy with the end result. I probably would skip this next time around, or send it to someone.

If anyone has tips / experience with recapping this guy, lemme know! I was very surprised... 6 caps should have taken me like 6 minutes. Instead it probably took 60.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ekorz ().

• Making some notes, filling out later.

vga / 31k
      accessing the advanced OSD to sync troublesome games like moonwalker
      repro CP notes
      lightbulb/starter
      jamma loom 001, the nicer ones with stereo built in

The post was edited 1 time, last by ekorz ().

• skate323k137 wrote:

Awesome stuff. I did the cap list for the blast psu and audio amp, @codecrank put it in the AO wiki, and another member (I can't remember off hand) put up the digikey part numbers from my order. Glad to see a store offers that kit now.
      oh nice. I'll try to hunt that digikey list down and post it up top.