What's new

xodaraP

Legendary
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought a KI board off ebay as parts/not working, originally intending to use it as a parts board to fix another KI board for a friend that has issues. It turned out not to be needed as a parts board, so I thought I'd attempt to repair it. Long story short, someone has attempted a reflow on the CPU and made a fairly big mess of it. They have used lead free solder which has not worked well with the original leaded solder, causing a giant bridge across pretty much all the pins on the CPU. I removed the heatsink and ended up with this:

1B971685-FC08-4D20-8E81-82B0BB5C7827.JPG

Loads of flux everywhere (from both the original reflow attempt from the seller, and somewhat me trying to fix the damage), completely bridged pins all the way across and..... yeah.

Given that if this board has even attempted to be booted with this mess, the CPU is most likely toast, I'm going to remove this CPU and replace it. I don't think it could have been salvaged as it was but even if it could, I was more focused on salvaging the board itself with as little damage as possible, not the CPU. With this in mind, I used a hot air gun at 300C and then at 400C (to get the crap non leaded solder to flow) and used a sharp knife to lift the pins off the board and bend them out of the way. By using the lower temperature first I was able to limit the risk of damage by pulling the pins out of the way that still had the original solder on them, then the last of the pins came off with the 400C hot air.

I ended up being left with this

A52AAF4C-FF0B-49D5-A41C-28152B9480FB.JPG

Still so much solder left across so many of the pins. And that flux, yuck.

After reflowing all the pins with a soldering iron (which is much easier when there's not a processor with tiny pins there) - I ended up with this

IMG_2670.JPG

As you can see, I did lose 1 pad while removing all the pins from the board. But considering there was about 200 I can live with 1 (would've been nicer if it was a non connected pin, but that's life) - I then proceeded to clean it up with isopropyl alcohol and this is the final result post removal:

IMG_2672.JPG

I'm actually pretty damn happy with how it turned out in the end - unfortunately what this does mean is I need a replacement for a fairly rare CPU. The original is not salvageable and as I said before I feel like even if it was it is probably fried. But in the meantime I have a nice clean board ready for it to be installed onto when I do find one. If you have a scrap board that uses this type of CPU, please let me know what you would like for it so I can get this KI back up and running :)

Wowzers, impressive clean up there @xodaraP -- hope someone can offer you the chip to get it up and running!

Looks like you lost one pad there. You'll need to follow it to the other side of the pcb and find where you can jump it next.

Might have a CPU for you. I sent a board in to arcadecup for repair like a year ago, but hasn't been able to fix it. Im checking to see if he thinks it's unrepairable, but if he thinks the CPU is still good.

Thank you very much :) what was the original fault with it out of interest? Wondering why it couldn't be repaired

It wouldn't boot. ;)

I didn't probe it much since I hear they're a pain to work on. There was one surface mount chip (probably one of those 74FCT's) that was visibly fried. I figured it had trace damage there and needed a replacement ic. I still don't do surface mount stuff and figured it was worth having arcadecup take a look. Must have been more problematic than that though! Maybe someone sent the wrong voltage down it and fried a bunch of stuff.

Last edited:
Indeed, anything is possible and they're a nightmare to work on :(

I was amazed I only lost 1 pad given the amount of flux residue and solder on this board and I can fully understand why very few people will even consider touching them and those that will are still hesitant

Definitely a market for someone who can figure out how to service these, Wolf Unit, V Unit etc boards and not have them fall to bits

Did you get a chip and get this working?

The suspense is killing me!

ekorz actually sent me a donor board and I did pull the CPU off. Unfortunately the board even after I've cleaned it up has retained some of the god awful solder from the previous attempted reflow and when I attempted to put the new CPU on it instantly turned any new solder I added into a huge mess of bridged pins. I'm still working out how I'm going to solve the problem, I'm thinking of ordering a correctly sized kapton stencil and then putting paste down and using a hot air gun.

Back