A REAL LCD Light Gun solution for the NES (not IR based)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A REAL LCD Light Gun solution for the NES (not IR based)

I came across this kickstarter for an LCD light gun solution: kickstarter.com/projects/metsa…lard?ref=home_recommended

This is a really clever solution that basically replaces the sensor unit in an original NES ZApper with one designed to work at the frequency of the backlights used in LCDs. it also modifies the game cart to compensate for the input lag.

This is really a novel solution to the LCD light gun problem. no LED modules attached to the TV and from outward appearances it looks like you're using a regular old zapper with a regular old cartridge.

The down-side is that it ONLY works with Duck Hunt. Though maybe this "technology" could be ported elsewhere. using a similar upgraded sensor in a Happ 45 with a patch for MAME (or even patching of ROMs to use it on original arcade hardware) could potentially allow CRT gun games to run on LCDs without an IR bull-shit.
      "Information wants to be free"
      VOOT | RFM | Kraylix V3 | FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| TOTD | DDR
      Follow my projects on Instagram: instagram.com/twistedchu

Buy my 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
    • IMHO, the creator should just sell his Zapper hardware mod, and share the software adjustments necessary to make it work with the community. Then the community can create the software mods for all the lightgun games and use flash carts or repro carts to play them, as opposed to cart-specific, on-the-fly patching.

According to the creator's blog though, he already purchased 2000 female NES cart connectors, so it sounds like he's pretty committed to the on-the-fly patching:

keacher.com

Definitely respect him for working out a solution though.
    • I agree... and I think kickstarter is the wrong platform for this too.

he wants $130 for this kit and looking at the hardware I guarantee most of that is going to the Cart-Sub board, not the sensor.

he also set his kickstarter goal at $125K and has only earned less than $5K so far with only 7 days to go. I'd say this kickstarter is likely "dead in the water".

I think if he'd made his cart board work with all the other NES gun games and set his kickstarter goal at $20K it might have been successful.

the better option would be, like you said. Just make and sell the sensor in small batches and just open source the patch so that the community can start porting it elsewhere.

• I'm going to paste what I wrote on another forum about this:

While I respect the idea, and solution for solving the lightgun problem on LCD's, there are two things I don't like about this project.
      1. Too expensive for only Duck Hunt. This KS will ultimately fail because the cost is too high for just one game. $129 for a DIY install is ridiculous. If he manufactured his own lightguns with this device pre-installed, eliminating any work on the consumer-side, then I could see justifying the price. But still, for only Duck Hunt?

2. Destructive installation. Cutting wires in the zapper, removing the original lightgun board is something I wouldn't want to do. Destroying the cartridge case, and having to install a romhack board is also something unappealing to me.
    • If nothing else the story on his blog about ordering the custom connectors was something I found really interesting.

• That kickstart is dead in the water..maybe the next aproach should be patching all the lightgun NES roms and releasing them on the internet, send a kit to a few people for reviews and feedback on the accuracy of this thing on different LCDs and how lag works on the LCDs and the kit.. after improvements and positive reviews, sell just the kit for X amount..if successful them move on to others platforms.
      The Future Is Now
    • Well, hopefully this sparks some type of interest somewhere where this is developed further giving us "pew pew" guns to use on any modern tv/monitor without the need for additional tracking/sensor hardware. Oh yeah and make the guns wireless and add in recoil like the namco guns. :)
      Cabs: Vewlix C x4, Groove Coaster 3, ID7, DinoKing, Swing, Capcom Cute
      Multis: CPS1│CPS2│CPS3│ST-V│F3│GNET│TTX2│NAOMI│MVS
      Superguns: Jasen's MK30ADCAP│RGB's HASv3.1
      Displays: PVM 2950Q│Pioneer PDP-V402E│LG B6 65" Oled
      Scalers/Misc: OSSC│VP50Pro│Gscartsw │Hydra

Wanted Cabs: Egret 29, Egret II, AWSD
      Wanted Part: SFII Dynamo HS5 "Cut Corner" CP, Egret 29 Complete CP top (blue or red)
    • As much as I love that idea, wireless and recoiling sounds like such a recipe for disaster. I'm thinking of all the broken TV panels now.

We'll need warnings like how Wii games remind you to use the wrist strap.

Are there batteries capable of fitting in a Namco gun and still giving enough power to recoil with any noticeable force?
      Cabs: Cyberlead II | Mini Cute | Neo 19 | MVS-U4 | Vewlix F | Vewlix Dia | Sega City | Jubeat | WMMT3 | Egret 2 | Egret 3 | Puzzles & Dragons Battle Tournament | Groover Coaster 2 | Gunbarl dedicated | Megalo 410 (en route)

On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Capcom Impress, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2.
    • rewrite wrote:

As much as I love that idea, wireless and recoiling sounds like such a recipe for disaster. I'm thinking of all the broken TV panels now.

We'll need warnings like how Wii games remind you to use the wrist strap.

Are there batteries capable of fitting in a Namco gun and still giving enough power to recoil with any noticeable force?
      Lol, well they smash stuff now so with regular wireless controllers :)

But yeah, batteries on a namco style gun with recoil would not probably fit work. But it could work on the larger machine gun types like used in lets say Ghost Squad.
      Cabs: Vewlix C x4, Groove Coaster 3, ID7, DinoKing, Swing, Capcom Cute
      Multis: CPS1│CPS2│CPS3│ST-V│F3│GNET│TTX2│NAOMI│MVS
      Superguns: Jasen's MK30ADCAP│RGB's HASv3.1
      Displays: PVM 2950Q│Pioneer PDP-V402E│LG B6 65" Oled
      Scalers/Misc: OSSC│VP50Pro│Gscartsw │Hydra

Wanted Cabs: Egret 29, Egret II, AWSD
      Wanted Part: SFII Dynamo HS5 "Cut Corner" CP, Egret 29 Complete CP top (blue or red)
    • You could probably do this with the right size Lipo and circuitry. The other consideration though would be weight. Those Namco guns are already relatively heavy, make them cordless and you wont want to be holding them up in the air for too long.
      Cabs: Namco Noir x 4, Namco Noir Clone x 2, Namco Exceleena x 7, AW Super Sports Shooting USA,Time Crisis II 2P, 6P X-Men, Battle Gear 2 2P and 4P Gauntlet. My partner is not impressed. :/

KLOV Bio Link
    • Blackfish wrote:

The other consideration though would be weight. Those Namco guns are already relatively heavy, make them cordless and you wont want to be holding them up in the air for too long.
      Gorilla Arm

I had the same problem playing the Terminator Salvation game. the guns are cool but heavy enough that you get fatiqued holding them up. Every time I've played that game I've ended up walking away to play something less physically draining... like DDR or PropCycle.

It's weird, holding your arms out is one of those things that seems like it'd be easy but gets tiring really fast. like having to crawl under a desk to plug something in seems to even make Olympic athletes winded.