What's new

TechnicalMonkey

Student
Reaction score
The primary function would be to tap in the original 384x224 screen digitally before it gets compressed horizontally. It should allow for custom resizing (to attempt getting a more square picture), but have quick options to allow 'n' times resizing so that it can fill up HD and FHD screens.

Audio output in a lossless digital format would be great.

I was greatly impressed and moved by Kevtris' work that I thought, "why just limit it to consoles? Why not expand this to arcade games?" I started thinking this more so when I found that while doing direct capturing, RGB output was not 384 but 304 vertically. If properly implemented, it should be able to output a cleaner quicker output to be used on HD panels as more high quality CRTs disappear.

Well...?

Sorry to dig this grave, but I'd also be interested in something like that.
I know, an arcade has to go with a CRT, but in my case, I don't have the space for one and having this option to go full digital output would definitly be welcomed by others.

I saw that there is an open source HDMI mod for the MVS/AES ... could this maybe be used as a base to develop / port it for the CPS2 ?

The problem with dedicating a HDMI scaler to one single piece of hardware is you'll need to repeat the process for each board/console you own.
While a cheaper start, it ends up being much more expensive than using a one scaler with all your devices.

What is your personal issue with the xRGB family of devices?
Have you started to read about the OSSC design?

This is my CPS2 supergun, with Darksoft's multi kit, scaled with a xRGB Mini and displayed on a Sony 50" LED.
IMG_20150526_130204.jpg

IMG_20150526_130238.jpg

My 2nd scaler the official Taito JAMMA kit, inside my Vewlix cab...
IMG_20160511_112026.jpg

IMG_20160331_195910.jpg

IMG_20160401_192107.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with dedicating a HDMI scaler to one single piece of hardware is you'll need to repeat the process for each board/console you own.
While a cheaper start, it ends up being much more expensive than using a one scaler with all your devices.

What is your personal issue with the xRGB family of devices?
Have you started to read about the OSSC design?

This is my CPS2 supergun, with Darksoft's multi kit, scaled with a xRGB Mini and displayed on a Sony 50" LED.
Of course this is a great option, but I also see advantages in a HDMI modification.

1) The biggest of them all being that the audio and video signals are grabbed from the chip outputs before they hit any DAC, you can't get a clearer signal than that.

2) There are a lot of peeps who only get one A board, or a lot of collectors who only use one A board to actually play their games, so this should be the prefered one to modify.

3) It should be cheaper to make than buying one framemeister .... I know, you can use one framemeister for several input devices, but in my case right now I only need to mod 2 consoles (AES and CPS2) and that costs less than a framemeister and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this one :)

Don't get me wrong, the framemeister processes the analog signal in an awesome way, probably the best it can get. But it's not a fair comparison imo, because there is still this little extra that a digital picture will always have over any upsclaer processed analog signal.

I don't know about CPS2 but the biggest issue with most of these HDMI output projects is that you need to run the CPU clock faster by about 1% in order to output video at exactly 60Hz... IMO that's detrimental enough to gameplay that it makes it not worth doing... at that point you've broken the authenticity of the game enough you might as well just use MAME. I mean if you want to just see if you can to it to learn more about the hardware and challenge yourself then more power to you. But if your interest is in actually playing the games and you're going to screw around with the way original hardware runs then IMO there's little reason to continue using original hardware if it's emulated well.

Sorry to dig this grave, but I'd also be interested in something like that.
I know, an arcade has to go with a CRT, but in my case, I don't have the space for one and having this option to go full digital output would definitly be welcomed by others.

I saw that there is an open source HDMI mod for the MVS/AES ... could this maybe be used as a base to develop / port it for the CPS2 ?
I said something similar to not having space for staff and a member suggested to get rid of the bed.. I LOL when I read that but in reality I have tried playing non HD's games on an LCD using scaler, emulators ETC..but I just can not, I will take a CRT anytime of the day and if the bed needs to go then so be it:). So yeah man.. Get rid of the bed and make space for a CRT.

Back