What's new

doozer

Unobtanium
Professional
Reaction score
Yesterday I took the kids to a local retro arcade for a bit of fun.

To my surprise they had an Outrun cabinet, although it didn't look anything like the ones I've seen before. No Ferrari logo in the center of the steering wheel.
The software proclaimed it as being Outrun 2012.

I spoke with the manager, but he couldn't tell me anything about the unit as it was new.

I have to say, the force feedback steering was horrible. Whilst driving straight the wheel constantly pulled left then right, kind of like you were constantly spinning the rear wheels and doing a tank slapper.
The game seemed to have Outrun SP 2, Coast to coast and some 3D mode that looked like you needed to be wearing glasses.

Can anyone shed some light on what this is?
What hardware does it run on?
Is it a software update that's available through Sega for the Lindbergh?

Attached is a photo of the unit from the arcade's website.

Attachments

• outrun-2012-cabinet.jpg
    outrun-2012-cabinet.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,823
Guess that explains why the ffb is so bad.

PC board. I've seen a lot when I was in China, PC tower inside. Horrible to play. Could be interesting to get the game, to see changes added. I presume they use PC version with fan patch FXT 2.4, but they must have added something more? Or hacked Linbergh version, but I doubt, must be more difficult.

Last edited:
interesting, but unclear - be nice to get the mobo part number - BIOSTAR??
also, where is the game? on the card - or a drive not in the foto?

interesting, but unclear - be nice to get the mobo part number - BIOSTAR??
also, where is the game? on the card - or a drive not in the foto?
will get the p/n tomorrow.
the game run from flash disk. you can see it besides psu under cables.

Reactions: stj
Thanks for the photos.
Any idea what OS it runs on?

4.jpg

mobo is biostar g41d3+ v6.3.
OS is windows, most likely xp. Surely not 7 or later.
The game is PC game : outrun 2006 coast 2 coast, with custom gamepad i/o.
There's a license file inside game folder that 'locked' with the i/o bd serial number.
That's all i know.

Hi Dion,

Do you remember if on the image you have write access to the PC game files or were they protected?

Was it a standard usb or flash card that could be read in another PC?

I know somebody who has the 2012 setup and noticed when playing it does not have the shader fix installed for sun and bloom effects which makes a big improvement to the look more like the LB version.

This would just require copying the existing lens_flare_offset.bin in to the common folder, but if it is security protected then I will not try for fear of breaking it.

Many Thanks

Hi Dion,

Do you remember if on the image you have write access to the PC game files or were they protected?

Was it a standard usb or flash card that could be read in another PC?

I know somebody who has the 2012 setup and noticed when playing it does not have the shader fix installed for sun and bloom effects which makes a big improvement to the look more like the LB version.

This would just require copying the existing lens_flare_offset.bin in to the common folder, but if it is security protected then I will not try for fear of breaking it.

Many Thanks
they usually used SSD, and not protected.
i don't know about the recent one (saw more variant copy of the game with different I/O bd).

Back