What's new

invzim

Champion
Reaction score
Just want to share a most useful tool I recently got to check caps, resistors, transistors and whatnot.

It's a version of an open source project, but has proper case and banana jacks for test leads. It couldn't be easier to use - just plop the suspected part in and press the test button. It even has a de-charging port for caps.

badcap.JPG

The cap in the picture was replaced during a repair, and the thingie confirmed my suspicions - while it still has capacitance, the ESR is way out - 7 ohm, but is supposed to be less than 1. In my defense, the cap looked ok from above :)

Picked this one up at bang-good for 25 USD shipped.

Attachments

• bside-esr02pro.JPG
    bside-esr02pro.JPG
    842.8 KB · Views: 968
nice!
Is there also an 'original' version of this or just the Chinese version of the open source project?

perfect, thanks!
Looking for a tool as well, not another projects ;)

Will order one as well :thumbsup:

Looks sweet for the price. I picked one up off eBay.

mikrocontroller.net/articles/AVR_Transistortester is the original source I believe.

There are a zillion versions of it (search for LCR-T4 /LCR-T5) , but I believe this is the first one with a proper case which is perfect as I wanted a tool, not a project

Dave Jones did a nice video on it
I use the same one from the video, great little tool

Interested to know what the best incarnation of this tool is? There’s many more on the market now, than when I first looked.

I have the one in the OP. Honestly, for the purpose it has, I can't really see how it could function better. Definitely recommended.

Back