What's new

samplehunters

Student
Reaction score
I was wondering if this was possible, I have a 2.17 Netdimm that I would like to upgrade but don't have the tools to desolder/resolder the TSOP.
According to an old post by Deunan, he suggests that it might be possible to upgrade by network.

dknute 7th-Sep-2009 10:45 pm
I have heard recently that 2.xx firmware should work too, as long as the security key is of the right type (from a networked game). That and perhaps SEGA own software, it might not work well with tmbinc's script. Can't verify that now though.

If it works enough to load anything into the DIMM, you could use that to upload the upgrade to 3.17. I was kinda planning to go that way but the whole key issue stopped me and I ended up with manual rewrite of the FLASH ROM.
Source: http://dknute.livejournal.com/28952.html

Also, a user by the name of Stompp on Arcade Otaku has stated that he upgraded from 2.17 but didn't go into any details about his setup.

24v8m7d.jpg

Does anyone have a dump of a Network security key so I can try this out?
Thanks for reading.

Edit: Nevermind, I'll try to compile it myself and test it when my PICs arrive in a few weeks.

Last edited:
well
I'm not sure about this pic,
But from what I know, upgrading directly to 4.02 may brick your dimmboard!
It's safer to use 3.17 first

Thanks for the tip, and also HUGE thanks for the 4.02 CF Firmware.

Got my PICs in today and I tried to update my NetDIMM from 2.17 to 3.17 by netboot with TransferGame.exe but it didn't work out.

After transferring the 317.bin to the Naomi, I always get "Error 31 This Game is not acceptable by main board"

For fun, I tried to netboot CVS2, transferred OK, Check DIMM memory OK, but then errors.

Tried with different variations of the security PIC, modifying AKEYCODE, BKEYCODE, FILENAME and AIJYOANSWER but no luck.

Oh well.

Thanks you're welcome!

An error 31 is typically linked to netboot

So either the following problems:
You sent a game with DES encryption
You sent a corrupted file
You have No game in dimmboard's memory
Eventually, your rams of dimmboard have a problem ( check the dimmboard via the test menu to be on , but not dimmboard test test naomi )

But for me, sure at 99,99%, netboot system is from firmware 3.03 or above

BTW, you'll have better chance to success your netboot by using python and triforcetools.py than transfergame.exe.
Trust me again;)

Last edited:
Any progress here? I have a NetDimm with the same 2.17 firmware.
No problems launching games, but the same 'Error 31' with 3.17 firmware upgrade...

Ok, didn't try that given the 'Brick your Dimm' warnings... You just threw caution to the wind then?
I was looking at different tool combination actions and possible upgrade pic keys... Not much luck.

Ok, I didn't expect much difference between 4.01 & 4.02.
Anyway - success! Upgraded firmware v2.13 to v4.01 and then on to v4.02.
Used transfergame for the process will a zero pic inserted.
No issues, upgraded first time. Cheers!

Back