What's new

Geddon

Professional
Reaction score
My brother bought a Neo sd before we knew about the Darksoft cart and I want to know why those idiots orient this stupid thing so if you put it in a 1-c (omega in this case), it goes backwards? Even the label up top reads the wrong way and they don’t put a triangle on it. They are just asking people to put it in the wrong way. Wtf.

Attachments

• 3AE773BA-778A-416A-8AF2-0832A006852C.jpeg
    3AE773BA-778A-416A-8AF2-0832A006852C.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 441
also I don't think it matters if you insert cartridges backwards. I know on official carts it just won't boot. SNK luckily designed it so it is idiot proof. Can't say the same with PGM...

nice goodwill metal shelf though.

Last edited:
What? This thing absolutely does not work if put in the other way. I’m not sure about snk carts. If they really wanted to idiot proof they wouldn’t let it fit the other way so I have to disagree there.

As for the shelf, it’s an ikea system and it’s nice because you can customize a setup in a lot of ways. I have around 30 consoles and 3 pvms on it. I can’t really tell if you are being a dick or not.

Look I'm no fan of Neo SD, but IMO the problem is the Omega...
Or more specifically the vertical cart port of the 1C Neo-Geo motherboard.

I've always seen it as backwards, just think of the SNES for a moment...
Do you insert the cart with the bottom facing you?
No! The SNES cart bottom faces away from you, as I think it should.

I much prefer the 1FZ's horizontal design, where cart bottom faces down.
Down or away, yup that's jassin approved design. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
My complaint here is I swear there is a photo somewhere of the Neo sd cart in an omega and the label is forward. So I’m wondering what the heck. I have not opened this thing up but maybe it can be rearranged so it goes in how one would expect it to. But also since this is an mvs product it should have the triangle. They don’t bother. I guess they are more focused on aes. I’m assuming for that the label is forward. I guess I could get something sweet printed to stick on the back side.

ok, stoneagegamer has a good note about this

OMEGA & VERTICAL SLOT NOTICE:
IF YOU ARE USING THIS ON AN OMEGA THE PCB WILL NEED TO BE REVERSED IN THE SHELL.
IF YOU ARE USING IT WITH ANY OTHER VERTICAL SLOT MVS AND YOU WANT THE LABEL FACING FORWARD THE PCB WILL NEED REVERSING IN THE SHELL.
IF YOU DO NOT FEEL CONFORTABLE DOING THIS YOURSELF PLEASE REQUEST IT TO BE DONE IN THE COMMENTS SECTION DURING CHECKOUT.

haha when I read it now my reaction is.. not true! You can just put the shit in backwards! You don’t need to reverse anything in the shell.

Ah, the Omega! I ordered one about 3 or 4 years ago from their website - only to learn that the owner is pretty useless at keeping to time-scales and virtually impossible to get hold of. In the end I had to join the Neo Geo forums (desperate times, desperate measures) to get a means of communication. He replied to a couple of messages but when I eventually got fed up of waiting and asked for a refund it went strangely quiet and I had to get Paypal to refund me. I know of people who had no problems with ordering the Omega so I might of just been unlucky.

I opted for a real AES in the end!

Yeah. For me the order took around twice as long to ship as the site said, it arrived non functional, I sent it back and now I have a functional unit. Also I put in the order and on the site it said I didn’t put in an order but they charged me. I contacted customer service and at first they said they couldn’t find my order. I sent them the PayPal transaction and eventually they found it. After all that nonsense I can’t recommend it. I would recommend getting a 1-c, doing the stereo mod and neobiosmasta if you want unibios, then get a has supergun. Then you are set for mvs and jamma. AES is nice too, carts are just so expensive.

I always loved that custom case they did for the Omega, really top notch.
The electronics on the other hand, not so much... The NTSC video encoder they used gets colors wrong.
Sure lots of NTSC encoders aren't really accurate (the joke is NTSC=Never The Same Color-twice) but the JROC is way better and it predates the Omega.
6W3AKRJ.jpg

I used a PVM14L5 and a tripod to capture that image.
Top is Omega set to RGBs (SCART) output, bottom is Omega set to YPbPr (Component) output.

I like JROK stuff. I have the multi Williams board. Had it in a defender but I’m trying to make space so likely dumping the defender cab and making a control panel box for the control panel so I can play defender properly without a cabinet. I’m all about making some more control panels now for stuff I like with non basic controls.

Back