What's new

98pacecar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a Raiden 2 board that has a generally poor picture, typical of what it looks like with a bad video ground. I dropped it on my bench and temporarily jumped video ground to ground at the end of the edge and the pic cleaned up and looked perfect. My question is does Raiden require the video ground for the monitor to be wired to the overall ground like some classics require or should the video ground on the edge be enough? I don't want to permanently jump this to ground, but if it requires harness mods normally I will.

I've got a Raiden 2 board that has a generally poor picture, typical of what it looks like with a bad video ground. I dropped it on my bench and temporarily jumped video ground to ground at the end of the edge and the pic cleaned up and looked perfect. My question is does Raiden require the video ground for the monitor to be wired to the overall ground like some classics require or should the video ground on the edge be enough? I don't want to permanently jump this to ground, but if it requires harness mods normally I will.
For the most part you are perfectly fine bridging a wire from video ground to ground and it will work well for the majority of games out there so you should have no issues. If you check the schematics or pinouts on the games as well you will find some more info.

Some earlier non-JAMMA boards also had ground in strange places as well as needing video ground to be jumped to ground but you really need to check before you put your boards in. Raiden 2 is JAMMA Standard so you are fine.

The thing you have to consider is that there are boards with positive sync as well as negative sync and if you plug in a board that needs positive sync and you have it run to ground you will run into all kinds of unwanted problems that arent fun.

Just keep that in mind when you are thinking about changing out the boards and if necessary, make an adapter loom or specifically mark the boards which are different so you know what you can run and what you cant

Thanks for the advice. I took a closer look and found the trace from the edge connector was torched. I replaced that and it came back to life. Simple repair, but I almost overlooked it.

Back