What's new

Psyko-M1

Champion
Reaction score
I present to you, my CPS-III with the 13th USA kit of Third Strike in the US.

https://imgur.com/gallery/S7J2URh#hLg815Q

Ahoy hoy Arcade-Projects.com
A bit back, (3 mos) I joined after purchasing a CPS-3 board.
My real goal was to turn it into a game console for fight tournaments, and personal enjoyment.
The endless posts of information has been a WEALTH of information and inspiration.
With that in tow, I was able to complete a really special project to me.
It's not perfect, but it runs really damn well.

Inside is a simple power supply
Undamned USB encoders
Smallcab Supergun
Scart to HDMI upscaler (the one from Amazon for 39 bucks)
Acrylics from Jansen's Customs
Misc parts from Amazon and Frys.
Custom Led lighting lol (blue LED, binder clip from the office, 1-up card, electrical tape, heat shrink, and a molex connector for 12V)

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for all your help, and usefulness during this fun little project.
It's my 2nd foray into Arcade hardware and I'm horrifically hooked now.
I want to make consolizations of arcade gear from my favorite games.
Being I used to mod PCs back in the day, I am finding this pretty satisfying as a hobby.
Now I get it. Thanks a ton everybody! <3 <3 <3

Lemme know what you think, what can be improved.

Attachments

• cps3small.png
    cps3small.png
    579.1 KB · Views: 1,327
very cool, would love to see some more pics :)

1 upgrade I would really recommend you is to drop the cheap Amazon Scart->HDMI scaler and get an OSSC instead ;)

Here are some good comparisons including the Amazon type scaler, Framemeister and OSSC

1 upgrade I would really recommend you is to drop the cheap Amazon Scart->HDMI scaler and get an OSSC instead ;)

Here are some good comparisons including the Amazon type scaler, Framemeister and OSSC
I'm looking at an OSSC for replacing the Amazon Scart converter. Fun fact, when you run the thing at 1280 X 1024 there's almost zero perceivable lag. I'm sure the OSSC is way clearer. I'll put that on my list of things to buy.

It turned out better than I thought it would with consideration I didn't have much of a workshop other than a tech bench and a desk.
Next time, I'm going to hire a professional painter. I'm no painter and everytime I paint, it's a disaster.
There's so much lacquer on this thing to cover up mistake after cat hair, after dust bunny, you name it.
Eventually I got it just perfect... lol

Right now I'm chasing a modded Naomi kit with the Raspberry pi. I'd love to build something similar like this for that.
Or it would be great to find a Darksoft CPS-2 as well, but the Naomi is where I really wanna be right now.
I need some SEGA in my lyfe.
Thanks for all the comments everybody.

I really like those LEDs!

Definitely be careful, does anyone know if the smallcab supergun does RGB correctly? Don't want to break your upcoming expensive OSSC!

Other than that, the place for an upgrade is that scaler you have. I recommend you don't have an OSSC per consolisation, that'll get a bit silly, have RGB out instead.

Naomi is a great system to consolise! I love mine (it's unconsolised)

I really like those LEDs!

Definitely be careful, does anyone know if the smallcab supergun does RGB correctly? Don't want to break your upcoming expensive OSSC!

Other than that, the place for an upgrade is that scaler you have. I recommend you don't have an OSSC per consolisation, that'll get a bit silly, have RGB out instead.

Naomi is a great system to consolise! I love mine (it's unconsolised)
I've heard this too. That's why I decided to go with the cheap one first and see how far I can get without a hefty investment.
Much to my surprise, it does a pretty damn good job. Everything in the box is made to be serviced and replaceable, so I'll look into an OSSC for my next build.
Thank you for the comments :)
I'm only 3 months into this hobby, so pardon some of my schoddy work. Plus sourcing vinyl art for Street Fighter Third Strike was almost impossible.

@psykom1 Great work there and for an upscaler if you can, grab a OSSC who is high end technology ... or maybe a RetroTINK-2X device...

Last edited:

@psykom1 great work there and for upscaler If you can't grab a OSSC who is high end technology ... maybe a RetroTINK-2X device...
The RetroTink is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting that. I've been looking for a while now.

Bumping this because psykom is a friend of mine, and I like his crazy science laboratory :).

It seems to be a topic in this thread, how does one "properly" measure RGB output to make sure that it is safe for the OSSC? I am familiar with the concepts of line level vs. amplified audio output, I assume this is somewhat similar. Basically, what I'm asking is - how does one test the RGB output to see what the levels are, and what are the appropriate value ranges one would expect to see? Can this be done with a standard multimeter? Or is something more fancy required?

Thanks!

An oscilloscope is usually required, as is a solid white screen in order to measure the Vp-p max output from the device. You can then work out what attenuation is needed to bring things down to 0.7Vp-p for consumer gear.

An oscilloscope is usually required, as is a solid white screen in order to measure the Vp-p max output from the device. You can then work out what attenuation is needed to bring things down to 0.7Vp-p for consumer gear.
Sounds like I need to do more research and get a scope. If anyone feels like distributing more clue to the masses on the topic I'm all ears.

Take a look at my post here.

The oscilloscope was available in my local library and my training was a YouTube video or two.

The solid white screen is the most difficult to achieve if the system doesn't offer any test patterns etc.
Luckily the PGM has a pause button so I just had to time it right.

There are plenty of handy calculators online: here & here.

Added a mobile kart solution for a simple roll-up / 2 cable hook-up.

Now I can roll my gear back and forth between the work bench and back.
I see way too many people posting pictures of their consolizations in their frontrooms just lying on their carpet, or floor.
Preferably I'd rather keep everything off the floor because I have a cat that likes to "inspect" and steal things. (pictured)

Hopefully once the HAS board comes around, I can build a more streamlined supergun.
Perhaps with an integrated OSSC.

Attachments

• mobkarty1.jpg
    mobkarty1.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 375
  • mobkarty2.jpg
    mobkarty2.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 339
  • mobkarty3.jpg
    mobkarty3.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 311
  • mobkarty4.jpg