What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I finally grabbed a Tenkomori Shooting (Namco System 10 game), it's a vertical shmup/mini-game that I'd been after for a while.

Problem is that the screen is rotated backward from every other vertical game in my collection (rotated clockwise from horizontal). I haven't been able to find any settings to flip the screen to work with my tate setup, finding information on this game seem to be difficult.

I'm curious if anyone knows how to flip the screen on this game, has a manual scan or any other info.

Interestingly I also have NFL Classic Football, which is another vertical Namco System 10 game (the only other one?) and this one has the screen orientation the correct way.

I believe the iScan DVDO HD and Duo can perform a "real time" x/y flip.
I'm not familiar with the HD and Duo versions of the device tho, so I can't confirm.

Truth be told I was always instructed to stay far away from the Duo because it adds lots of lag making it bad for video game setups.
It also lacks the ability to handle 240p as actual progressive, rather it sees it as 480i... So this could only be used in conjunction with a OSSC.

yeah I'm not looking for external solutions. I can't imaging there isn't a setting or jumper somewhere to do this considering how modern a PCB this is.

worst case I just rotate my monitor in the other direction but I really don't want to have to do that for just one game.

I’ve seen switch harness people have made for some monitors to do this. I’ve read it is only safe to do while the monitor is off though. I suspect I am going to be in the same sort of position because I want to run Ikaruga and other vertical stuff in a blast city cab and Ikaruga rotates counter clockwise. I thought there would be a Tate flip type thread somewhere with various solutions but i didn’t find much searching a while back.

Cool, maybe I won’t have to deal with this. I’m pretty sure Ikaruga Tate on Dreamcast is counter clockwise and no other option. I thought when I searched arcade was the same but maybe not. I got a lcd that has a stand that rotates either way so I can do any console tate.

I was playing around with this board some more last week and discovered how to flip the screen.

If you go into test mode and then the color test screen you'll find an option that flips the screen.

why they hid this option on the color test screen and not in any of the options or settings screens is beyond me.

Some Namco games have 240p / 480i switching in the color test screen as well (like Mr Driller and Tekken 3). It's dumb I agree.

Some Namco games have 240p / 480i switching
no shit?! I'll have to check that out there are a few Namco boards in my collection that run in 480i and it drives me nuts.
I can confirm this is true for all my System 12 boards (Tekken 3, Tekken Tag, Ehrgeiz and haven't tested Soul Calibur yet)
It is just called interlaced on/of I think

I think my Kono Taco and Gameshara (both system 10) run in 480i... I'll have to check if I can make them run in 240P

Back