What's new
I believe lots of Midway boards suffer the "where do I put this" sound board. I'm thinking of Smash TV, Total Carnage, Terminator 2, etc.
-ud

I believe lots of Midway boards suffer the "where do I put this" sound board. I'm thinking of Smash TV, Total Carnage, Terminator 2, etc.
-ud
Smash TV and Total Carnage and T2 are all Y-Unit and they'll be covered in my kits ;)

Some of their older stuff uses a separate board as well (such as Arch Rivals) but I don't know how much interest or need there is in the Pre Y-Unit stuff.

Last edited:
Some of their older stuff uses a separate board as well (such as Arch Rivals) but I don't know how much interest or need there is in the Pre Y-Unit stuff.
The Williams Z-Unit ran Narc, but I don't think anything else appeared on that board.
Look at that mess of PCBs, it appears to even have its own mini IO board.
1_858b8cdbe017d0c6434b2aff347ab7aa.jpg

Lol! That is the reason why I don't own two of my favorites. NARC is one of them. Bally Hat Trick is another, what a mess. I use pi2jamma for that nonsense.

yeah I'm not touching that NARC PCB setup with a 10-foot-pole... looks like the only way to really keep it organized is to leave it on the metal backing plate, similar to the Midway Vegas and other horizontally arranged multi-board setups.

what is it with the USA game manufacturers and PCBs that can blot out the sun?

looks like the only way to really keep it organized is to leave it on the metal backing plate
I think you could crimp some IDC cables/connectors to plug into the custom board connectors.
Then you could stack 'em up for a mounted style... But yea, what a pain in the ass for one game. :P

There is also a gap between holes of certain soundboards and their main board. Some would align other don't.

The MK2 has already a daughterboard + soundboard it's quite awkward.

For the T-Y units the idea we had with Freddy after debating on that is to hang the sound board and the volume pot on the upper layer of the acrylic case

That way they don't press each other, each one has his independent effort.

The acrylic kits are being sold now because he put them on the store for me to order them, but there are some mistakes I need to make him correct them before you buy them.

Last edited:
The acrylic kits are being sold now because he put them on the store for me to order them, but there are some mistakes I need to make him correct them before you buy them.
Oh snap! Can you get in touch with them ASAP? I just ordered two cases today, and I'd like them to fit properly when they arrive.

he already corrected most of it I am going to send him a mail to warn him to not to send before fixing all

There is also a gap between holes of certain soundboards and their main board. Some would align other don't.
I'm aware of that, which is why I'm making some custom parts to accomidate it.

I'm also aware of this and there is a solution.

The acrylic kits are being sold now
I don't mind discussion/criticism of my kit design but I would ask you kindly to create a separate thread for the acrylic kits so as not to hijack my thread. Thank you :)

Sorry you are right. I didn't mean criticizing. I supposed this thread was created to not deviate the system16 multi thread and was thinking it was about finding various solutions for casing. Now that I understood it was about your project I will delete/change posts accrodingly. It's a misunderstanding. I was in a sharing rage.

Last edited:
It's a misunderstanding. I was in a sharing rage.
no harm. I know a lot of people like the Acrylic cases, and the ones you posted look really nice. :) I don't use acrylic cases personally because they tend to be too bulky to fit in my machines and in my shelving system, so thats why I'm looking at solutions to make these PCBs as compact as possible.

----------------

I've posted a couple examples of my consolidated boards in the first post for anyone that's interested.

Last edited:
You can convert your two-board MK2 into a single board version. You need 12 27C801 roms, a new programmed GAL, and you have desolder and resolder four jumpers. Pretty easy stuff.

sounds nice, any tutorial for this ?
If you meant for the single board conversion, here's a quick tut:

Download Mortal Kombat II (rev L3.1) (mk2.zip) from your favorite rom site. Inside you have these 12 files:

Code:
ug14-vid
ug16-vid
ug17-vid
ug19-vid
ug20-vid
ug22-vid
uj14-vid
uj16-vid
uj17-vid
uj19-vid
uj20-vid
uj22-vid

Burn them to 27C801 eproms.

Get Mortal Kombat II T-Unit (8 Mbit ROM version board) .jed file from http://www.jammarcade.net/pal-dumps/ . Burn it to a GAL16V8. Install it in place of the original PAL (can't remember IC# off hand).

Resolder four jumpers between UJ12/UG12 and UJ14/UG14 like this:

14034939_1713047882292262_847014636544555713_n.jpg

So all four jumpers will jump one place left or right.

Enjoy your single board MK2.

You can convert your two-board MK2 into a single board version.
It actually came from the factory as a single motherboard in addition to the two board/sub board version.
All depends on the size of the ROMs used on the mainboard.

The sub board version is far more common, but I've seen both.
I think the rarity in the MK world is a T-Unit MK1... Only revision 5.0 of the game supported this hardware.

You can convert a MK2 into a T-Unit MK1, but you'll still need the original MK1 sound board (you can't use 2's SB).

Enjoy your single board MK2.
I don't think its fair or accurate to refer to MK2 as a single board game...
Even IF you remove the need for that ROM sub board, you still need that external sound PCB, thus NOT a single board at all. ;)

Back