What's new

BanishingFlatsAC

Champion
Reaction score
I just bought a Naomi 2 from eBay and got it in today. The fans spin up, but the motherboard displays a black screen. I am running the board in my New Net City. The board is set to 31kz and I'm getting 12.1, 5.1, and 3.36 from the test spots. The dips are set 31K.

I messaged the seller and long story short the guy started verbally attacking me and accusing me of lying and being in cahoots with another seller who appears to have also gotten a defective N2 from him. Getting a refund will net me a whole $130 and I'll be honest with you, that isn't worth my time arguing with some nut. I told the seller to keep his money and leave me be. So my only option is to use this as a hard lesson and attempt to repair it.

So what's my next step? I tried putting the multi region bios into the board and that nets the same result. Any tips on what to check?

What sort of power supply do you have?

Even if the voltages are reading correctly, there may not be enough amps in your power supply. This is why the Sun PSUs are generally recommended as it's what came in the cabs. Using a Capcom IO creates an even bigger draw.

The 3.3v line is particularly important. Especially if you attach a NetDIMM

Do you know anyone with a working NAOMI setup you could test your unit on?

Im using it in an NNC. I'm using a Sun PSU and my N1 works perfectly fine. I don't have a cart in it, I'm just trying to boot it to the splash screen and get it to display an error.

Im using it in an NNC. I'm using a Sun PSU and my N1 works perfectly fine. I don't have a cart in it, I'm just trying to boot it to the splash screen and get it to display an error.
Are you sure you are using the bios for n2 and not the one for n1? otherwise it won't work.

n2 are pain because of the voltages, check them with a multimeter.

hope it helps!

If it's running an N1 it should be able to run an N2, they do need slightly higher voltage but if it's a Sun PSU it shouldn't be an issue.

Is it giving a synced, black screen or is it giving nothing at all? If it's synced and giving a black screen it could definitely be a BIOS issue if it's giving nothing at all it could be anything. Might be worth verifying the BIOS ROM to make sure it's correct.

Other than that I guess the next step is to check the board itself, could be lifted surface mount components or check for burnt areas that may mean it's had too much voltage run through it at some stage

If it's running an N1 it should be able to run an N2, they do need slightly higher voltage but if it's a Sun PSU it shouldn't be an issue.
The n2 consumes more power than the n1. In the past, my n1 worked fine with a atx psu, but it did not work with the n2.

The Sun PSU is the PSU originally included in cabs to run the NAOMI 1 and 2 though, so it shouldn't be an issue.

So what's my next step?
how long have you waited for it to boot up? N2 is way slower to boot than N1. give it a good 30 seconds to a minute before you give up and shut the machine off.

also if you're using a DIMM board... disconnect that just to test the N2 alone.

The board is getting the right voltages. Power coming from the Sun PSU and power on the N2 filter board are both were they should be. I've tried multiple system bios and with dimms, carts and empty and I always just get a black screen. The only thing I noticed is there are indentations on the Bios socket from where someone previously tried to pry off the bios chip. I wonder if that broke a solder joint?

The board is getting the right voltages. Power coming from the Sun PSU and power on the N2 filter board are both were they should be. I've tried multiple system bios and with dimms, carts and empty and I always just get a black screen. The only thing I noticed is there are indentations on the Bios socket from where someone previously tried to pry off the bios chip. I wonder if that broke a solder joint?
can you test the continuity between all the pins and the connections in the mobo?

I'd also check the supercap. I have and N2 that has also just started doing the same thing and after having a look its seems my supercap has started leaking and may have damaged the board. This is a common fault.

Oh man. Sounds like the dude I bought a board off of and it didn’t work. He accused me of frying it and threatened me. Leave that idiot bad feedback. I can’t because he was ok until after I left feedback then he turned into an ahole. All I did was plug in the board with a sun psu that works just fine with a Naomi 1. Didn’t boot. I got another Naomi 2 from China that works great with the same psu.

Just so you dont feel alone; I have a Naomi 2 that starts up with voltages but doesnt kick in to life. I have changed. Supercap, EPROM. Cleaned PCB, and cleaned fans.

Nope! So looking for an answer too.

Oh man. Sounds like the dude I bought a board off of and it didn’t work. He accused me of frying it and threatened me. Leave that idiot bad feedback. I can’t because he was ok until after I left feedback then he turned into an ahole. All I did was plug in the board with a sun psu that works just fine with a Naomi 1. Didn’t boot. I got another Naomi 2 from China that works great with the same psu.

Ah so you must be the seller I'm in cahoots with. Lolololololol. Ive been in this hobby for over 15 years and I've never run into an asshole like this guy. I sent one message asking what we should do next cause I couldn't get the board to work and I got three crazy messages over the course of five minutes. I don't have time to deal with crazy shit like that...he can keep the $100. Hopefully that buys him some meds to calm down.

Yeah I couldn’t believe the stuff that guy wrote me. He has 100% feedback which makes no sense. He put the board I returned back up for sale and I don’t see it now. Wonder if anyone here bought it. Easily the worst eBay user I have ever encountered and I’ve bought a ton of crap and sold a lot there too.

Guys. Hand it to ebay to sort out. They are really good at sorting this kind of stuff out. Remember if you are not ranting, you dont come across as a nutter!! Also hopefully someone else doesn't get stuffed.

You've pretty much done all the easy trouble shooting you can do: double checking the voltages (5.v and 3.3.v), testing with a sun psu, checking the fans on the mobo, using a known good bios chip, and waiting 30-60 seconds for only the mobo to boot. So, sounds to me like you have a board level fault somewhere (either CPU or Ram related). Ken is pretty good with those.

IMHO, if seller sold the board as working, and it arrived not working, then I'd just open an eBay claim for item not as described. eBay can sort it out for you.

Naomi 2 boards need a good packing job to arrive safe.

Reactions: nem
Back