What's new
well it's filled with crap then.
but there is stuff there - even if it serves no function.

what kind of "crap" and "stuff" you are talking about ?
I think he means the "words / phrases" in plaintext in the dimm firmware, that seem to have no function. Have they been disabled after debugging finished?

if you meant security PIC protocol, mostly documented here http://wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/NAOMI_security_PIC
DIMM firmware supports several protocol "versions" (if reply at "bsec_ver" request will be other than "8VER0001"), where will be used other than documented request/reply "words", but they are doing exactly same thing as regular VER0001 - read file name, DES key, network flag, nothing more...
no any secret magic there.

if you meant security PIC protocol, mostly documented here http://wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/NAOMI_security_PIC
DIMM firmware supports several protocol "versions" (if reply at "bsec_ver" request will be other than "8VER0001"), where will be used other than documented request/reply "words", but they are doing exactly same thing as regular VER0001 - read file name, DES key, network flag, nothing more...
no any secret magic there.
@MetalliC thanks for enlightening us. I guess we were all hoping to find an Easter egg there :)

@TylerDurden67 do you still offer this service? I'm having two Dimms which require a firmware update. One has 1.02 and the second Error 22. Unfortunately I'm not having an EPROM programmer nor very high soldier skills ;)

Not sure if he's busy atm but Mitsurugi-w also does normal dimm upgrades.

TylerDurden67 isn't anymore on any forum. It seems he was angry about someone (dont know exactly) and has totally left arcade world (and still have some of my games).

TylerDurden67 isn't anymore on any forum. It seems he was angry about someone (dont know exactly) and has totally left arcade world (and still have some of my games).
that sucks... I mean, leave if you want to leave, but don't take other people's shit with you.

Sorry to hear (both of it). And thanks for the Information. Will contact Mitsurugi-w in that case.

I'm currently doing this mod for two of my dimms as well as a local friend's. I'll let you know how it turns out.

it would be good to actually do the upgrade without borrowing a net board,
has anybody started collecting dumps from the eeproms yet?

yes, i know.
i'm looking for why.
i was thinking maybe when the flash gets upgraded by netboot something is also written into the serial eeprom.
the only other thing i can think of is if it's re-writing the rom that configures the cpld.
but that's unlikely because if it could then it could load the cpld directly and do away with the config-rom.

I have been followed this tutorial and successfully upgraded my regular dimm board firmware version 1.02 to 4.02 but i have weird problem.
When i put net-dimm daughter board it boot fine (CF/Netboot) but when i put back regular dimm daughter board it doesn't boot at all just displaying black screen (CF/GD-ROM).
Am i missing some process to make it works?

I have been followed this tutorial and successfully upgraded my regular dimm board firmware version 1.02 to 4.02 but i have weird problem.
When i put net-dimm daughter board it boot fine (CF/Netboot) but when i put back regular dimm daughter board it doesn't boot at all just displaying black screen (CF/GD-ROM).
Am i missing some process to make it works?
hmmm IIRC you can't change the doughter boards just like that. Specially when upgrading. Maybe @Mitsurugi-w can shed some light here as he's done it more times than myself.

Well that's how you update it by swapping the daughterboard with a netdimm daughterboard. I would say check your voltages.

Will it boot with no GD rom/CF kit attached?

Back