What's new
Anyone know what LED EMITTERS i could get away with replacing them?
I haven't determined a suitable replacement yet.
for now you'd be best to buy whole new original modules.

or you could try to find some 250nm LEDs: Shooting Gallery: Sega Type-II IR on a 108" front projection setup
I can see why these LEDs aren't easy to replace. The company behind making those Type II gun sensors, OHMIC, took a lot of time and resources developing these sensors. They designed these sensors for applications that require extremely precise tracking (they mentioned vehicles and robots as examples). I still wish you luck on a suitable replacement

Thank you for all you have done, it is interesting to see your results.

Well, two pictures attached. The one with Spare written on it was actually from the Time Crisis 4 corner, the other one is a frame I picked up that we had in storage, it mentions HOD in the name and have seen them online for sale, however we do have a House of the Dead 2 and 3, but HOD3 is in storage somewhere and might actually be for that.

If you look carefully, you will nice one module is fractionally smaller, the light layout is the same (should have moved my thumb), but the screw pitch might be out too and I cannot get the original plug in as its all different, how anoyying!

I have a feeling that the guy who attached the plug to the 'out' and not 'in' fried it, do you think I am right? test's so far indicate that the entire 10 models on the left hand player are fried and I am getting 11.5 volts at the pins.

Attachments

• outside.png
    outside.png
    578.2 KB · Views: 182
  • outside2.png
    outside2.png
    374 KB · Views: 170
The wider module is original OMZ equipment that Namco used, the thinner one is the Sega Version.

Namco bought off-the-shelf version of the equipment while Sega had them modify it slightly.

I see this all the time in manufacturing, a customer will say I want THIS part in your catalog but I want you to put my part number on it and change the dimensions ever so slightly.

functionally they should be cross compatible.

I honestly don't know what happens if you plug them in backwards. I believe I may have done it once or twice while working with my equipment and I've never had one burn out on me, but who knows if I simply caught it in time vs someone running one backwards for hours or days.

I need to map out these boards at some point to figure out how they actually work electrically, but there's really not much going on with them.

The wider module is original OMZ equipment that Namco used, the thinner one is the Sega Version.

Namco bought off-the-shelf version of the equipment while Sega had them modify it slightly.

I see this all the time in manufacturing, a customer will say I want THIS part in your catalog but I want you to put my part number on it and change the dimensions ever so slightly.
Konami used the off-the-shelf version in World Combat and Lethal Enforcers 3. The gun cpu board in a Lost World Jurassic Park and World Combat look identical except for the Sega rebrand. Taito also used this equipment in games like Music GunGun and Gunslinger Stratos. I predict they used the off-the-shelf version too.

yup, though the GSS stuff that Taito uses is a newer generation with SMD leds, separate gun boards for each gun and a serial interface to the game board instead of analog output. ( I have a full set of the GSS equipment )

Last edited:
useful info.. thanks.. yes namco TC4 and sega something or other

I am thinking of leaving them in the sega frame and just wiring into the first one this morning and seeing what I get.

quick update: I got the SEGA sensors (well half) working this morning, the IN connector is still same size as the regular size connector, so I could plug them in anyway.

It made me more hopeful in getting it working fully.

update.. had one sensor wrong-way-round and corrected it on the Sega array, tested it on HOD2 and it worked and then tested it on TC4 and both guns 'did something sensible' as i had it 90degrees for wiring reasons.

So, its the little sensors !

Last edited:
update.. had one sensor wrong-way-round and corrected it on the Sega array, tested it on HOD2 and it worked and then tested it on TC4 and both guns 'did something sensible' as i had it 90degrees for wiring reasons.

So, its the little sensors !
is the Sega IR monitor sensors compatible with the Time Crisis 4 ones?

well, they are slightly smaller, I have a mix of sega and namco ones and I do have patchy results right now which I think maybe to do with poor led light. I yet to confirm, need more sensors lol

So at the moment I have a mixture of sensors

well, they are slightly smaller, I have a mix of sega and namco ones and I do have patchy results right now which I think maybe to do with poor led light. I yet to confirm, need more sensors lol

So at the moment I have a mixture of sensors
Do you use the mixed IR sensors for both Sega and Namco games? If so, do you have issues with both?

have you tried a Time Crisis 4 arcade gun on a Sega game? The gun I/O boards look identical.

If the guns work on both, then perhaps the guncon 3 gun sensor and lens would make a cheap replacement for the arcade guns. They use the same tech and same number of wires etc.

For the ones of you who made their own harness, how did you know which of the 9 pins on the sensor inside the gun connect to the 7 pin gun input on the BD gun sense board?

Can I rely on the wire colors in my House of the Dead 4 gun? I.e. can I assume that the yellow wire from the HOD4 gun goes to the pin on the gun protection board with the yellow wire going to the BD gun sense? Or, does the gun protection board use a completely different wire colors to the gun?

how did you know which of the 9 pins on the sensor inside the gun connect to the 7 pin gun input on the BD gun sense board?
I've been getting a lot of question about this equipment lately so I finally decided to start condensing this info into a blog post.

Part 1 is up covering a high level description of how the system works: http://solid-orange.com/1611

Part 2 is up covering the LED boards: http://solid-orange.com/1620

Part 3 is up covering the IR Sensors: http://solid-orange.com/1643

Part 4 is up, the final section covering Gun Sense Boards: http://solid-orange.com/1670

Thanks. I didn't see that you'd added all that info. It's a fantastic and very generous piece of work. It's written so well that even I can follow it.

Now I only have one more cable to make before I can test it out on my PC. Well one if you don't include the accelerometer in my Hod4 gun.

I'm probably not going to bother with the accelerometer initially. It apparently outputs like a regular analog device so I could theoretically connect it to my Uhid nano but I think it would interfere with calibration and setting up controls in mame. I'm planning to use the extra wires on the gun hose for a recoil solenoid.

After removing the pointless weight shaker thing in the Hod4 gun, a Terminator Salvation solenoid fits in the space nicely.

BTW, for anyone thinking of doing their own Sega Type 2 gun to Mame setup, it's worth checking out the knock-off HOD4 guns on Aliexpress. They are sold for $94 without a sensor but, unlike the official Sega guns, they already have a recoil solenoid instead of the knocker. The knocker doesn't have any function so the solenoid is a far better use of space IMO.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32966607517.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.54901331W2dITr

I am rarely in favor of buying the cheap Chinese knock-off but Sega's price for the official gun is outrageous and the American version is a revolting pinky red color. As long as you add an official sensor unit, the performance would be identicle for 1/8 of the price with the Chinese version - except in black and with recoil.

They also seem to have a new product for HOD guns. It's some kind of PCB with 7 pin gun input, 9 pin out plus 24v in. In typical Aliexpress fashion, they don't state what it's for or have any info at all. The 24v in makes me think it's s recoil controller.

Back