What's new
Pretty cool project! I bet it's a lot of fun playing these games on such a large screen.

How important is the placement on the sensors around the monitor?
Building my own monitor case for 50" screen.

2019-02-22-12-53-07.jpg
Apologies if I am posting incorrectly, but I am also attempting a project like this with a Confidential Mission cabinet and 50" TV so I am very curious how this worked out for you. Did you have any calibration issues? Is it better to keep the original aspect ratio or does stretching to widescreen work as well.

Is it better to keep the original aspect ratio or does stretching to widescreen work as well.
aspect ratio doesn't matter as it will work itself out once you calibrate.

I have my setup arranged in 16:9 but running 4:3 NAOMI games work fine.

Is it better to keep the original aspect ratio or does stretching to widescreen work as well.
aspect ratio doesn't matter as it will work itself out once you calibrate.
I have my setup arranged in 16:9 but running 4:3 NAOMI games work fine.
That reminds me that I have to put together my GSS setup, that led array finally arrived. but its made for a 60" screen, so I will have to come up with a mounting solution for a 65" screen, hopelly the cables have enough slack, if not, it cabling and crimping time :)

I recently caught an auction with some interesting looking LED modules.

3led_ir_module.jpg

I wonder if these are what is used in GSS or maybe some other more modern implementation of the IR guns

Thanks for your thread. That was useful as I finally had time to build my own setup.
During my testing I tested at 10ft and had decent tracking but I also had the LEDs clustered around a little 19in LCD and none of them had the tinted plastic windows. I removed the windows and in doing that the effective range for the guns increased to about 8ft and at that distance it's totally playable! still not the 12ft-15ft range I want but it's good enough to finally enjoy this setup.
What about using lenses in front of IR led in order to make them appears bigger and/or increase range? Cannot they do the trick?

Last edited:
What about using lenses in front of IR led in order to make them appears bigger and/or increase range? Cannot they do the trick?
Maybe? But that is likely a more expensive option than brighter LEDs.

@twistedsymphony I have a spare GS led array frame meant for a 60” display, I could bring that up with me since I need to meet up with a few guys up northeast. That way you can test those out with your setup.

I will try to check, I haven’t tried to take the frame apart yet since they are riveted together. Which is weird, I guess they never planned on replacing these array sensors individually, I guess just the whole frame with the sensors.

I haven't tried them yet, I wanted to spend some time and confirm that the pinout is indeed the same as the old ones... less I hook it up and smoke something :D

I forgot to take a pics of the harness, I’ll see if I have or can get a manual for GSS that should have the schematic in it.

I forgot to take a pics of the harness, I’ll see if I have or can get a manual for GSS that should have the schematic in it.
I have a GSS manual myself though if it's anything like the older gun boards the pins don't really have names, they're just labeled A B C D ... so the only way to really tell is to poke around with a meter.

I took some pics but like I said, forgot to take pic of harness.

Attachments

• 4EA2DE90-9D3D-4C7E-9F9C-0942F26C4FCD.jpeg
    4EA2DE90-9D3D-4C7E-9F9C-0942F26C4FCD.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 95F55395-0577-4A2C-9FA9-9391DD3603B7.jpeg
    95F55395-0577-4A2C-9FA9-9391DD3603B7.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 187
  • 3F783821-B7B2-4BDD-8F92-A3CEB0EB6BE2.jpeg
    3F783821-B7B2-4BDD-8F92-A3CEB0EB6BE2.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 154
We got TC4 machine, found right side with some dim LEDs and the left side mixed results mostly dead. However found connector from Gun Board to the OUT of the LED board, we presume this has fried them? what do you think? i am measuring 12v and 5v where they should be on the LEDs

Anyone know what LED EMITTERS i could get away with replacing them? presuming the rest of the circuit is ok

Back