What's new
Thanks.

I guess that means it's safe to assume they won't have the advertised recoil. Still, if they turn out to be working type 2 guns it will still be a pretty good deal.

I didn't know you had a Chihiro with Hod3. Did you buy that one off ebay recently?

bought it years ago
Ah, I was hoping you were going to make me feel better about missing out on a Chihiro with Hod3 deal recently. It sold for $250 while I wasted time thinking about it....

If it was one that was going to break within a month, it would have been a narrow escape instead.

I'm in the market to buy some new PCBs currently and some new cabs as I'm moving to a larger house. I can't decide as there is too many to chose from right now. I'd like to get some more use out of the Sega guns as they're turning out to be more fun than I expected.

Yeah I've got NAOMI, Chihiro, and Lindbergh to use with the guns. I hadn't really got to play much of the Chihiro games since they all used extra buttons and now that I got the extra button guns working of course my Chihiro dies :( Most RingEdge games support these guns too as does Jurassic Park on Model 3

With a little work most mounted gun games should work with this system.

at some point I'd like to learn a bit about FPGA programming as I feel you could simulate the correct pulse timing to integrate this system with CRT gun boards.

I like a lot of the games on those systems. I usually try to focus my original hardware purchases to stuff that is not well emulated or ported. Teknoparrot blurs the lines a bit for me.

I'd really like to be able to play all the Lindbergh shooters in Teknoparrot. The problem is that I'm struggling to get the type two guns working with it's "working" games and games like Rambo is still Patreon only.

I was starting to get my heart set on a dual Namco 256 Time Crisis 4 set-up as I already have a 246 multi card but then you said the Sega gun sense board and LEDs won't work with Namco games so that kills that one.

There's currently good deals locally on an Afterburner Climax cab, a Paradise Lost cab, an ATV twin (with moving bikes) and an Ocean Hunter. I'd go with the After Burner if the Lindbergh multi was still available.

Have you ever compared playing games like HOD4 on a real Lindbergh vs Teknoparrot? If so, is there a noticeable difference?

Did you have Virtua Cop 3 on your Chihiro before it broke? If so, is worth buying the system for? I've never seen that game in person. Also, does House of the Dead 2 work on your Naomi multi?

I've never used Teknoparrot. why not just buy a Lindbergh and install a multi?

I've never seen a Lindbergh multi for sale. I was told they weren't available anymore. I'm usually
a day late and a dollar short with multi kits. I'd consider it if one were still available.

You should take a look at Teknoparrot even if it just for the systems, games or I/O boards you don't currently own. It's not an emulator. It's playing the real games on real hardware. It's just a software layer to let you use your own controls for PC based arcades. It doesn't have the limitations of emulators like Mame.

If the Teknoparrot guys have finished making a game compatible, there is no point in buying original hardware. I say that knowing the audience on this site and what they think about Mame. I like using it for Mario Kart DX. It looks (and plays) identically to the cab at my local arcade aside from it being in Japanese. And it runs well on my 10-year old laptop with just a Quadro K5000M.

There's a bunch of great games that became playable in Teknoparrot lately like Ghost Squad Evolution and Chase HQ 2, Golden Gun and Transformers Human Alliance. And.... It's all free - which is the only thing better than "perfect".

My goodie box arrived today. Not bad for $70:

As I suspected, these Virtua Cop 3 guns didn't have the advertised recoil or even have room in the shell to put a solenoid. But, aside from that, they look to be complete and in reasonable condition:

The sensors look clean aside from some scratches on the front of the IR shield. I'll polish them out if it causes an issue. I'll probably transplant the sensor and hose from one into my Terminator Salvation gun.

I'm not 100% sure what game the analog joystick is from but I guess it doesn't matter. It also seems to be complete so I'll use it to play Afterburner Climax in Teknoparrot when I finish my new pedestal control panel.

I finally finished wiring up my Ghost Squad gun. I still have a little work to do on setting the right speed for the recoil as it's a particularly challenging solenoid to set the right frequency and duty cycle for. It works well enough to use for now though. I've been having fun playing Ghost Squad with the correct gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gx00X9qgzM

It kinda works for LA Machine Guns and Gunblade too until I set up my positional guns in my new house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivy9AT2VQf0

Basically, recoil makes everything better.

As I suspected, these Virtua Cop 3 guns didn't have the advertised recoil or even have room in the shell to put a solenoid.
if you want a Sega IR pistol with Recoil Guns from 2Spicy and Sega Golden Gun both have recoil. I'm sure there are others but those are the two that come to mind.

As I suspected, these Virtua Cop 3 guns didn't have the advertised recoil or even have room in the shell to put a solenoid.
if you want a Sega IR pistol with Recoil Guns from 2Spicy and Sega Golden Gun both have recoil. I'm sure there are others but those are the two that come to mind.
I've been on the lookout for a too spicy gun for a while. I've never actually seen a Too Spicy cab anywhere in the wild and I've never seen any used parts on ebay. I assumed they must be relatively rare in America.
Same with Golden Gun.

The arcade guns at the top of my wish / shopping list currently are Hod Scarlet Dawn, pistols from the new Tomb Raider arcade and a Gun Survivor 2 positional guns.

I want the Scarlet Dawn guns so badly, I've been having an internal debate on the morality of taking some bolt cutters to my local arcade to take one of theirs.

Interesting that you mentioned the pistols from the new Tomb Raider game. The technology inside those is super interesting. They have some sort of large coil inside the cabinet that the guns somehow use to determine their position.

When they talk about a coil in arcade guns, they are usually referring to the recoil solenoid. I'm not sure how you could use a coil to determine position. It's just an electro-magnet.

Looking at the videos of the game on YouTube, it looks like they are using laser pointer guns with camera like they used in Crisis Zone. I couldn't see any LEDs around the screen. Are they claiming to have invented a new gun tech?

In this case they are not, it uses some electro-magnetic field I beleive to track the gun positions - it's sort of there in the manual if you take a look. They've got a sort of wiring diagram that shows the big reference coil.

It doesn't use any form of light, if you actually go up to one of the machines and look down the end of the gun it's completely sealed plastic. No lens or anything.

Have lots of these machines in my area, and have played on them - so can reliabily say its not light.

In this case they are not, it uses some electro-magnetic field I beleive to track the gun positions - it's sort of there in the manual if you take a look. They've got a sort of wiring diagram that shows the big reference coil.

It doesn't use any form of light, if you actually go up to one of the machines and look down the end of the gun it's completely sealed plastic. No lens or anything.

Have lots of these machines in my area, and have played on them - so can reliabily say its not light.
That is interesting. It's ingenious actually. There must be unique magnetic locations in the screen.

I assume it limits the tech to projection screens. Have you seen any that use regular flatscreens?

How well does it work compared to Sega and Namco HD guns?

Hold the horses on the genius gun praise. It says here they just use an internal gyroscope for tracking which makes it an air mouse:

https://primetimeamusements.com/product/tomb-raider/

Weird, it really looks like like it's using an IR laser in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fynnsJb5wZg

You can see what looks like a faint laser dot when the game's on-screen crosshairs are not in the way and you can see it lagging behind a little in some parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fynnsJb5wZg

The parts list for the guns is limited but there is a "12v led puck" listed. An IR led laser would not be visible to the naked eye and if it had an IR shield like Sega guns then it would just look like opaque black plastic. It mentions changing the frequency to prevent interference from multiple units but it doesn't state what type of frequency.

Maybe the laser is used to stop tracking when your aim leaves the screen.

http://www.bandainamco-am.co.uk/files/175

Page 56 of this document, they talk about the STEM base. Have no clue what it is, but thats what's used to do the tracking.

Having used the machine it's line of sight accurate, so can't be a relative gyro. Maybe some weird gyro tech with the STEM base as a point of reference?

Having studied the gun in detail, I really couldn't find any holes for light to come out of in it.

12v LED Puck are the start button lights for each player above the gun holsters.

The fact that it's on the power distribution diagram suggests that it's use is powering the recoil and not related to tracking.

The gun's I/O traffic looks to be a regular USB connection going directly the PC.

A gyro / acellerometer could be line of sight accurate if it had a decent screen out mechanism and enough axis of motion tracking. If it's track 9 axis if could be super accurate.

Anyway, it has crosshairs on-screen so it doesn't really need absolute accuracy.

Back