What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
For those of you that don't know GunSlinger Stratos is a light gun Shooter by Square Enix that runs on the Taito Type X3 hardware.

The game is a multi-player 3rd person shooter with 1 player per cab and that player has 2 guns. each gun includes an analog thumbstick for moving and some buttons and of course you can point and shoot at the screen. The guns also clip together (magnetically) in 2 configurations to form different weapons. They also look bad-ass...

37668679_301429140614880_935722049215660032_n.jpg

Ever since I heard about this game I wanted to play it, and then once I played it I wanted one at home.

-------------
WHAT I KNOW SO FAR:
The gun tracking seems to use the OMZ IR setup similar to Sega's that's been in use since the lost world. One difference though is that there are TWO gun sense boards labeled "master" and "slave". I've managed to pickup a pair of guns (those are mine in the picture above) as well as a pair of these Gun sense boards. a cursory look they seem nearly identical to the later revision Sega boards with the exception that each board only has 1 gun connector populated.

My speculation is that they do this for the speed of tracking the gun position, perhaps the older boards could only calculate the position of 1 gun at a time and alternated which gun was being tracked. The older Sega games don't put a reticle on the screen unless you're in test mode and generally it seems very jumpy/laggy while in test mode. During gameplay this isn't noticeable since there is no on-screen reticle; however, GSS has reticles on screen for both guns, and in my experience they track very smoothly and quite quickly. This could be the reason for using 2 boards. Sharing an LED array and they could theoretically track both guns simultaneously, but they would also need to be synced. This would be interesting to know more about; if this is a stand-alone system similar to the older OMZ IR equipment i would mean that it's also backward compatible with all the older games that use that hardware and could be a faster/more accurate system to use.

----------
First thing I'd like to do is get a photo or a scan of the wiring diagram for GSS so I know how these boards are expected to be wired. @Derick2k I know you have some of this hardware yourself, does yours have a harness or even pigtails on the gun boards? photos of the wires on the "LED" connector of the gun boards could help figure out the wiring here.

I've been doing more work on my gun setup, and once I get that fully up and running I hope to start playing around with the GSS hardware a bit more.

I'm still in need of a Taito Type X3 boardset with GSS installed, I've heard that it requires the NESICA readers to boot (which I also have) and assuming it does use the same LED modules as the older OMZ equipment the TTX3 boardset and software would be the last piece I need.

If anyone has any information about this hardware please post it up. I'll be adding to this thread with any new information I acquire.

Following this. I'm interested in what is all required to get this working. I'd love to get a gss setup working one day.

So I snagged myself a GSS3 kit manual on YAJ last month... it arrived yesterday and I scanned the wiring diagram section today:
https://mega.nz/#!YyBFRKyS!sPAt2Nn82mH0apciGV_doHfRYL1FEln5cWUhmK5I8ig

for good measure here's a photo I snapped of my gun sense boards:
gss_gun_boards.jpg

looking over the diagrams I leaned something interesting about the Gun Sense boards... they don't communicate with the Fast IO AT ALL.
they connect to each other via CN5, it looks like it's just a duplicate of the LED output signal. but then they connect directly to the Type X3 via RS232C using CN4.

Or at least the Master Gun Sense board does, the Slave gun sense board goes to a USB to RS232C adapter since the Type-X3 only has 1 serial port.

I took a look around to see if I could track down this adapter and didn't find anything, but here's hoping any off the shelf adapter will work.

The analog sticks and the rest of the gun functions (other than tracking) are all routed to the Fast IO.

there were actually 2 sets of diagrams, one for the 60in deluxe cab and one for "compact" cab I scanned the diagram for the deluxe cab, though the only difference I could spot between the two was size of the monitor specified in the monitor block.

Last edited:
hello @twistedsymphony , where are you in your research on gunslinger?
I'm trying to get the game to work but I get error 1000004 regarding the cpu board sense...

Back