What's new

MD2020

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Been having a problem since 2 days ago. Switched out Street Fighter II X (non phoenixed, green board from Japan), and then when I tried to switch it back in a few hours later, it started up, internally clicked 4 times all while white-screening. Thought it was the a board, so I switched it out with another one, same thing.
All other games work on both a boards...so I'm guessing it's the SSFIIX board :(

Any ideas on what it could be and how to fix it? Standard Sega New Astro City Cab Jamma, no modifications.

Thanks

Last edited:
Those clicks are a signal that something shortcircuited iMHO. try opening and looking for some burnt areas or something unusual on a PCB.

Those early B-boards had a coin counter on them. The clicking could be from that. If so it could be a short. Check all the pins on the four connectors of the A-board.

thanks for the replies guys...the A-board's pins look fine, none are bent etc.

sorta new to all this, anyway you could guide me through opening up the Street Fighter board without messing something up?
mitsurugi- the board does indeed have a coin counter.

happy new year

Last edited:
Like mitsurugi said, the 4 clicks were the coin counter...adds 4 each time. then white screen.

sounds like a suicide to me, my rev 3 b boards with coin counter did the same thing

yea, all signs point to suicide. does anybody on here phoenix?

If you do much arcade/console stuff, I would suggest buying a uv eraser and a cheap programmer on ebay. Then you can write a cps2 hardware test rom before you disconnect the battery.

yea, all signs point to suicide. does anybody on here phoenix?
I recommend you to use Team Avalaunch Romsets. They work very well and are completetly free of any additional texts.

gotcha...i don't do a ton of arcade stuff and sorta just want to play again, so i'd rather send it somewhere or to someone to get it phoenixed, if anyone knows where i could do that

i wish i was more well-versed in the realm of roms etc, but i'm still learning.

thanks again

Where are you located? Please everyone, update your profile with a location to help everyone understand how to help you more. Even if it's just as vague as the country you are in or for example, just Europe is fine.

I can revive it for you for a flat fee of $25 plus return shipping. PM me if interested.

I'm having a similar issue with a newly delivered Neo 29 type II, though im thinking it may be the PSU ;(

I unplugged the jamma harness and turned it on for the first time to check the voltages. A full white screen so the monitor is working.
e99qz0V.jpg

Checked the voltage at the harness, got a positive reading on 12 volt (Yellow) and a -5 volt (Purple) But the 5 volt leads (Red) was reading at ?0? volts?
hDtOjWK.jpg

Looking at the PSU. the LED next to the voltage adjustment is not Illuminated when power is on. don't know if that means anything?
pXy33EV.jpg

I turned off the cab and tried some google fu for the answer. When i turned the cab back on to test the voltage again. I was then getting ?0? volts from the 12, -5, and 5. So now there is no power to the jamma harness but the monitor is still on.

there's no wired smells, I checked and wiggled all the plugs. What am i missing?

What else is being powered by the PSU itself? It's not a good idea to test a switching power supply with the load disconnected. You will not get accurate voltage readings and it's not good for the psu itself.

It's unlikely that it damaged your psu to the extent that it's outputting 0v but I've seen it happen.

Have you already checked all your fuses?

thanks mitsu. Pardon my naivete. I checked the 6v fuse in the front of the PSU. The fuse still has continuity. I'm note sure where any other fuse are.

another photo of the cab interior if that helps make sense.
ELk4stV.jpg

Last edited:
thanks Derick. you all have helped loads. I pulled the PSU out and took a look. Found the issue :D , Looks like a blown Resistor. ;( <X
a7HZYwG.jpg
GlNAMd6.jpg
also the 12 volt fuse was inside the PSU. tested, had continuity
aJsgyV5.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!! That resistor flamed out! lol. Good news is that's easy to replace if you can find the value of it. Bad news is that a major failure like that is usually caused by something else. It looks like it might be tied to transistor maybe?

Passive components rarely blow up like that but it is possible it was just a weak resistor. Find the value and buy a few extra. Replace it and power up. If there is no failure after a period of time then you probably only blew the resistor. It may have failed because of the lack of a load on the supply.

Back