What's new

Sjlewis78

Student
Reaction score
Hi all,

@Dreygor and I have been going back and forth for the past week and a half on how to easily run MAME games from Niko's Multi v1.4 and I thought I would share the methods and scripts for anyone who may be interested in trying it out. As a disclaimer I am not a programmer, but thought this would be fun to learn something new. My long winded notes and install instructions are in the ReadMe file attached. If it's confusing just ask. Here are some of the highlights of what is included in the download and what they do.

1) MAME v.200 (newest) with "forced" direct input support
2) CJVS mapped to default MAME controls, based on the tools provided by @corey
3) Script that will launch an individual game from @Niko Menu or @atrfate Front End
4) Script in the MAME directory that you can launch to open the MAME UI from Niko's menu or Atrfate's Front End and then you can launch whatever roms you put in from there.

Here is a link to my Google Drive which has the MAME build (sorry no roms I think that would be a forum faux pas), an example game structure, the working scripts and instructions where they need to be. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E9krnTCIJGSqWBxW3zZL2HrNt84TCuDs

I also have Primal Rage 2 available, using MAME4RAGE2, if you want to try that out.

If this is against the rules, I apologize to the admins in advance.

Attachments

• ReadMe.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,149
We have tested it expensively. It does have some limitations as with running MAME on anything. It's based off the horsepower of the machine. It does not like 3D games running in MAME and frame rates suffer severely. Tekken 2, Tekken 3, and Tekken Tag Tournament ran badly. The plus side is it runs any 2D game effortlessly and without stutter.

One thing we are exploring is that this version of MAME will run game console images such as NES, SNES, and to a certain extent N64.

Sweet, gonna try this for sure!!
Also Primal Rage 2 would be awesome to check out!

Thanks man! :thumbsup:

Nice!

I was wondering, if the TypeX2 was equipped with a Radeon card, would it be possible to run GroovyMAME on it? That would be spectacular if used with a 15Khz or multi-sync monitor!

Yeah i've made some drop in packs for Cave, CPS3, Neo Geo, Kaneko, and the rest of the Capcom games that have full game sets. The problem is they are huge.

For example the Neo Geo game set has 148 games and is 11.5GB 7-zipoed at full compression .. then 62GB un-zipped. (Sidenote: All games with the exception of Twinkle Star Sprites run amazingly smooth!). So with sizes like that sharing them via the internet would kill anyones bandwith. The smallest pack (CPS3) is still 1.5GB.

One reason is that the method you are using replicates the Mame directories for each title that would increase size. Doing some quick math, you add about 400MB of overhead for each game.

The other method of one instance of MAME, being referenced by the script would reduce file sizes significantly.

Last edited:
Yep. For me that's not an issue as im rocking a 500gb ssd . I would rather have the freedom to place the game wherever I want and be able to name the folder whatever i want.

Yeah i've made some drop in packs for Cave, CPS3, Neo Geo, Kaneko, and the rest of the Capcom games that have full game sets. The problem is they are huge.

For example the Neo Geo game set has 148 games and is 11.5GB 7-zipoed at full compression .. then 62GB un-zipped. (Sidenote: All games with the exception of Twinkle Star Sprites run amazingly smooth!). So with sizes like that sharing them via the internet would kill anyones bandwith. The smallest pack (CPS3) is still 1.5GB.
Don’t have a problem with bandwidth :D

So....keep the packs coming :thumbsup:

Yep. For me that's not an issue as im rocking a 500gb ssd . I would rather have the freedom to place the game wherever I want and be able to name the folder whatever i want.
You can, just not the MAME folder which was your reason for doing it. :)

LOL what happened to the days when the MAME.exe was only a couple of MB. I wonder if you can split the compile and say do one that just runs arcades instead of arcades and consoles. That would probably make it at least 1/3rd of the size it is now.

Yeah I stripped down the folders to the bare minimum to run arcade games and it was still large due to the MAME.exe being like 350MB.

You can easily make the loader sciptaptable
so its the only thing running such as

Game.exe

iniread , name of ini for game.to load

the have it take that then run then open jvsemu for your controls and run mame.exe with that game
having mame.exe at a cerntrel location can easily by done by setting working dir

Rought Esimate, for all neo geo all cps games and all artwork for my menu should only be ~20gb or so

You can easily make the loader sciptaptable
so its the only thing running such as

Game.exe

iniread , name of ini for game.to load

the have it take that then run then open jvsemu for your controls and run mame.exe with that game
having mame.exe at a cerntrel location can easily by done by setting working dir

Rought Esimate, for all neo geo all cps games and all artwork for my menu should only be ~20gb or so
That's the way I am running it with Mame is a central location. Scripts are in the download.

Back