What's new

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I own a Power Instinct Legends board (...pause for laughter). Ok, back with me? And I'm hoping to get it working again. It was fine a day or two ago except that I couldn't get one of the directions to work. I figured I'd try re-seating the JAMMA connector, but then I lost sound. I found a few cold solder joints on capacitors in the sound section, so I replaced those and got sound back. But on a subsequent reboot I got stuck in a loop as below:

It's booting through all the rom/sound check which makes me think voltage is fine, and the rom data is also fine. The final message on the screen reads "FIRST BOOT UP IS. FLASH EEP ROM DEFAULT INITIALIZED" so I also assume the nvram chip is fine. I might go replace that anyway since I can only get that message to pop up in MAME when I clear the nvram data. Maybe it's programming, but not staying programmed?

Anyway my hope is that someone is familiar with this issue since it shares some hardware with other, way more popular, boards. If you have any other ideas, please let me know!

Replaced the nvram, no change. It behaves the same (loops) wether or not I even have a chip in there, so I think it's stalling before it reads that data. Still might be a problem, but there were a couple other issues that seemed more obvious...

I think I narrowed it down to the sub-board holding 4 of the program roms. One resistor was broken and one of the pins on the connector to the main board was also broken. Getting some parts ordered, so I don't know for sure yet - but I'm hopeful. If not, I'll go back to the nvram.

Last edited:
Back