What's new

KoshiroKazuma

Student
Reaction score
Hi guys
I helped a friend of mine convert a CPS3 cart to DARKSOFT SUPERBIOS. The cart works properly on my board but not good on his board.
The game loading process stops around 5% and shows Error 23or Error 33 for different games. He has the original SF3.3 cart and disc,there is no problem when loading the original disc with the original cart.
I asked him to swap the SIMMs,but it didn't solve the problem.
I am asking him to send back the cart to have a check.
Does anyone know what the exact meaning of Error code 23 and 33?
Thanks.

It means you're having an error with the SIMM in slot 3.... Clean the slot and the pins on your SIMMS and see if that helps. I have a CPS3 motherboard that gives a similar issue at 85% with the same error. Unfortunately in my case it was the motherboard itself.

Interesting that you said it works fine with the original SF3.3 cart and disc. Could be the converted cart has a dirty connector? Would be worth cleaning the cart connector and seeing if that helps.

Also you need to load games from the SuperBIOS CD. SuperBIOS cannot play data from the original CDs. This shouldn't cause the loading issue though.

Also you need to load games from the SuperBIOS CD. SuperBIOS cannot play data from the original CDs. This shouldn't cause the loading issue though.
Yes. The ERROR came when loading the game from SUPERBIOS CD. The SUPERBIOS cart and CD works well on my board.
But my friend proved his board ,SIMMs and CDROM drive are good with the original game.
I think that's wired. I asked him to send back and have a double check on my board. ?(

Yes. The ERROR came when loading the game from SUPERBIOS CD. The SUPERBIOS cart and CD works well on my board.But my friend proved his board ,SIMMs and CDROM drive are good with the original game.
I think that's wired. I asked him to send back and have a double check on my board. ?(
I'm confident that the problem comes from the SIMMs.

It honestly could be bad soldering on the bios chip or a CD drive that cant properly read a burned disk. I've encountered both in the last week. If the Simms write ok with a normal CD I would suspect one of the two things above and not the simms.

Sorry for the late reply.
So I received the cart few days ago.Unfortunately it occurs ERROR 23 and 33 on my CPS3 mobo, either.
Even worse is it sometimes turned into black screen if I select any option in the menu.
I re-soldered the BIOS and the custom SH2 chip several times but it didn't solve the problem.
I bought new standard SH2 and flash chips to replace the two chips. Still no good,the same issue... :(
I checked the PCB traces near the SH2 and BIOS chip with multimeter, all seem OK.
The cart is a Type D one. Besides the 74HC00 chips it has a CPLD chip on the back. So these chips may be the problem??? ?(
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I bought new standard SH2 and flash chips to replace the two chips. Still no good,the same issue...
But my friend proved his board ,SIMMs and CDROM drive are good with the original game.
Then it's a problem with your mobo.
NOPE. I have 2 sets of CPS3 mobo and SUPERBIOS carts. No problem to load or play with good SUPERBIOS carts.
Only this cart has problem on my mobo and my friend's mobo.

Back