What's new

TheBortot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, got a KI2 with ``disk error``. But when i check the HD at the menu, is says ``disk ok!``. The u98 is the 1.4 and it`s ok. Dunno what can i do more. Strangely, when i put in the ``burn-in test``, there`s a loop between ``test ok`` and a gray screen.

Is it the original harddrive? I remember there was a hacked bios that was needed to use another drive.

it`s a CF card, not the original hd. Tested in a good pcb and worked. So i think it`s not the problem

The burn in test doesn't check the hard drive it tests RAM and I think CPU

Try replacing the CF card with another one and see if that helps, it may also be an issue with the adapter board

Have you replaced the U98 boot ROM with the AnyIDE version?

where i can find the anyIDE version? maybe that`s the cause. But unfortunately, i will have to wait for my eprom eraser to answer this question =(

Did you install the CF card or did you buy it like that? Did you replace the boot ROM when the CF card was installed? If you bought the CF as a kit it will usually come with the replacement ROM

bought as a kit, but it didnt work. So i will exclude for sure that before moving to the pcb itself, cause i found the pcbs ``as is``.

Well,erased the u98 in both ki 1 and ki 2; programmed the anyIDE and the result is the same at ki1, the hd light doesnt go on, even with original hd; in ki2, the blue screen and the test sound are followed by a black screen.

Tested the new rom and the cf cards in a good ki1 board and it went everything ok.

Show us a picture of the non-working KI2 pcb please.
You may be missing a small converter board.

It's a bit hard to see but that looks like a dedicated KI2. From the KI project website:

ki_board_id.jpg

Yes,its a dedicated one.my doubt now for the KI 2 is: the anyIDE u98 is used for both ki1 and ki2? Earlier, with another one, i was even getting into the test screen. But now i got just a black one.
Ps- hm, now i see there are different u98 for the dedicated and the converted pcb. Ill try the dedicated one . Maybe i bought the kit with the converted u98 one.

Last edited:
if the drive is getting power and spinning up then check all the small inductors.
if none are open-circuit then you better hope it's a bad buffer chip.

btw, did you try a different ribbon cable?

Yes,its a dedicated one.my doubt now for the KI 2 is: the anyIDE u98 is used for both ki1 and ki2? Earlier, with another one, i was even getting into the test screen. But now i got just a black one.
Ps- hm, now i see there are different u98 for the dedicated and the converted pcb. Ill try the dedicated one . Maybe i bought the kit with the converted u98 one.
Could well be the issue. KI1/KI2 conversion/KI2 Dedicated all have a different boot ROM - can you try the correct one and see if that helps?

KI2 solved! many thanks to you guys. The rom within was the ``conversion`` one. So i changed to the dedicated.

Now the big problem with KI1: the ``disc active`` light doesn`t turn on, even with the original rom and HD.

Back