What's new

Nodoyuna

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

I have an Hantarex CT28 EV monitor

It's supposed to be a VGA/SVGA monitor, but I suspect it could also get 15KHz signals

I've tried the VGA input and it does work fine with both my Dreamcast and Atari Lynx II McWill VGA Out, but when I try to connect something 15KHz to the BNC inputs, the signal does not sync. I have tried SNES and N64 with RGB CSYNC cables made by retrogamingcables in UK, but they don't work

These are the connections on the back of the monitor

35jdks2.jpg

Any idea of what can I try? Thanks in advance

I would say your assumption is wrong, and the monitor is VGA/SVGA only.

I would say your assumption is wrong, and the monitor is VGA/SVGA only.
If the monitor is not able to manage 15KHz signals, it should display nothing, right?

Instead, and that's what makes me think it can accept 15KHz signals, is that when connected to my SNES (for example) it show an out of sync picture, similar to the one you get when connect a 31KHz source to a 15KHz monitor

So, if it's a sync problem, there should be a solution, right?

Thanks in advance

If the monitor is not able to manage 15KHz signals, it should display nothing, right?
Instead, and that's what makes me think it can accept 15KHz signals, is that when connected to my SNES (for example) it show an out of sync picture, similar to the one you get when connect a 31KHz source to a 15KHz monitor
So by your logic the 15KHz monitor should accept the 31KHz source, since it shows an out of sync picture?

I'm with Asure on this one. Most likely it's VGA only.

So by your logic the 15KHz monitor should accept the 31KHz source, since it shows an out of sync picture?

I'm with Asure on this one. Most likely it's VGA only
So, being a VGA only monitor, nothing can be done to convert the 240p for display on it?

Besides an upscaler there's nothing you can do.
That being said the monitor is a probably a much nicer example than the generic vga/svga consumer quality that was common in the 90s.

Also since its analog it will just display a non synced picture on 15k as you have seen. Sorry.

Edit: The EQ series is 15k and the EV series is vga. Google around a bit and you'll find the pdf docs with the specs. EQ also has scart and much more connectors.

Last edited:
Besides an upscaler there's nothing you can do.
That being said the monitor is a probably a much nicer example than the generic vga/svga consumer quality that was common in the 90s.

Also since its analog it will just display a non synced picture on 15k as you have seen. Sorry.

Edit: The EQ series is 15k and the EV series is vga. Google around a bit and you'll find the pdf docs with the specs. EQ also has scart and much more connectors.
The monitor in VGA gives a really good image, that's the reason I was trying to display 240p on it...

What you want is an old-school line doubler, without a framebuffer - Dislp, XRGB, XRGB2, XRGB2+, XRGB3 in line doubling mode, and I think even OSSC. These virtually won't introduce any latency and will still be frame-locked to the original signal.

What you want is an old-school line doubler, without a framebuffer - Dislp, XRGB, XRGB2, XRGB2+, XRGB3 in line doubling mode, and I think even OSSC. These virtually won't introduce any latency and will still be frame-locked to the original signal.
Yes, it seems i'll need an upscaler. I don't plan to upscale to a HDTV, so any basic line doubler for 240p to 480p upscaling will be enough for me

@mikejmoffitt, Any of these you mentioned would give a direct VGA output?

I ask because I know the OSCC is the most preferred upscaler option these days, but it will give HDMI output and I'd need to add a HDMI to VGA converter

But I prefer a direct VGA output if possible

Back