What's new

ThankMeNever

Student
Reaction score
So I have this KI board that I can’t get the sound to play. I thought maybe it was something wrong with the negatron so I tested it on my MK2 board and the sound worked fine. When I start up my KI board I don’t get a ding but a constant loud staticky buzz. I tried sound test and don’t get anything still the buzz throughout the whole time the game is running. Game starts up and plays fine. I attached a video of what I’m seeing and hearing does anyone think it may be the sound Roms or maybe need to get a new flash disk any help with this would be great. I really want to play this board but can’t bring myself to do it without any sound lol

This video doesn’t have the negatron hooked to the adapter but when it is connects it still has the same sound.

I could be wrong but I guess that this board needs -5v for sound.

Hence the use of a negatron by OP.
I don't understood what you meant to say.
The OP is using a Power Source that does supply the -5v is what he means and yes that era of Midway pcbs required -5v, why the OP tested with a MKII to double check it wasn't the power supply being the issue.

With KI boards I always check around the ROMs, ADSP-2105, and Pamp for cold solder joints. I also reseat everything as well that's socketed as these boards are pretty sensitive. That is where I always start. I don't think its the Flash as that only holds graphics if I recall, sound and program are on the ROMs.

Last edited:
Are the sound caps still good? I’d recap it just to rule it out.

The OP is using a Power Source that does supply the -5v is what he means and yes that era of Midway pcbs required -5v, why the OP tested with a MKII to double check it wasn't the power supply being the issue.
With KI boards I always check around the ROMs, ADSP-2105, and Pamp for cold solder joints. I also reseat everything as well that's socketed as these boards are pretty sensitive. That is where I always start. I don't think its the Flash as that only holds graphics if I recall, sound and program are on the ROMs.
ROMs are bootstrap, sound and music. All program code is stored on the HDD/CF card

The OP is using a Power Source that does supply the -5v is what he means and yes that era of Midway pcbs required -5v, why the OP tested with a MKII to double check it wasn't the power supply being the issue.With KI boards I always check around the ROMs, ADSP-2105, and Pamp for cold solder joints. I also reseat everything as well that's socketed as these boards are pretty sensitive. That is where I always start. I don't think its the Flash as that only holds graphics if I recall, sound and program are on the ROMs.
ROMs are bootstrap, sound and music. All program code is stored on the HDD/CF card
I guess Midway was wrong

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 324
I always thought the HDD/CF only held the pre-rendered video cut scenes.

The OP is using a Power Source that does supply the -5v is what he means and yes that era of Midway pcbs required -5v, why the OP tested with a MKII to double check it wasn't the power supply being the issue.With KI boards I always check around the ROMs, ADSP-2105, and Pamp for cold solder joints. I also reseat everything as well that's socketed as these boards are pretty sensitive. That is where I always start. I don't think its the Flash as that only holds graphics if I recall, sound and program are on the ROMs.
I guess Midway was wrong
No. U98 stores the bootstrap code so it is very much the "Game EPROM" - without that there's nothing to tell the board how to load the data from the HDD.

I guess Midway was wrong
No. U98 stores the bootstrap code so it is very much the "Game EPROM" - without that there's nothing to tell the board how to load the data from the HDD.
Understood.

OP: Also the audio section has work RAM as well and is known to go bad.

Back