Killer Instinct pcb no sound

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Killer Instinct pcb no sound

So I have this KI board that I can’t get the sound to play. I thought maybe it was something wrong with the negatron so I tested it on my MK2 board and the sound worked fine. When I start up my KI board I don’t get a ding but a constant loud staticky buzz. I tried sound test and don’t get anything still the buzz throughout the whole time the game is running. Game starts up and plays fine. I attached a video of what I’m seeing and hearing does anyone think it may be the sound Roms or maybe need to get a new flash disk any help with this would be great. I really want to play this board but can’t bring myself to do it without any sound lol
    • GarouSP wrote:

I could be wrong but I guess that this board needs -5v for sound.
      Hence the use of a negatron by OP.
      Selling files for conversions/desuicide on Sega System C2/Sega System 24/Sega System 32, Capcom CPS1, Irem M92/M107 and more (just ask)
      Money is reinvested in boards, parts and tools in order to release more stuff.
      Contact me through my blog: arcadefixer.blogspot.co.nz/
    • GarouSP wrote:

Apocalypse wrote:

GarouSP wrote:

I don't understood what you meant to say.
      The OP is using a Power Source that does supply the -5v is what he means and yes that era of Midway pcbs required -5v, why the OP tested with a MKII to double check it wasn't the power supply being the issue.

With KI boards I always check around the ROMs, ADSP-2105, and Pamp for cold solder joints. I also reseat everything as well that's socketed as these boards are pretty sensitive. That is where I always start. I don't think its the Flash as that only holds graphics if I recall, sound and program are on the ROMs.
      Q GrandAm 25 | MKII | JNX SuperGun | NEC XM29
      First Cab: Centipede (1987)
      Arcade Tech: 1994 - 2000

The post was edited 2 times, last by ReplicaX: Added Flash line ().

• ReplicaX wrote:

GarouSP wrote:

Apocalypse wrote:

GarouSP wrote:

The OP is using a Power Source that does supply the -5v is what he means and yes that era of Midway pcbs required -5v, why the OP tested with a MKII to double check it wasn't the power supply being the issue.
      With KI boards I always check around the ROMs, ADSP-2105, and Pamp for cold solder joints. I also reseat everything as well that's socketed as these boards are pretty sensitive. That is where I always start. I don't think its the Flash as that only holds graphics if I recall, sound and program are on the ROMs.
      ROMs are bootstrap, sound and music. All program code is stored on the HDD/CF card
    • xodaraP wrote:

ReplicaX wrote:

GarouSP wrote:

Apocalypse wrote:

GarouSP wrote:

The OP is using a Power Source that does supply the -5v is what he means and yes that era of Midway pcbs required -5v, why the OP tested with a MKII to double check it wasn't the power supply being the issue.With KI boards I always check around the ROMs, ADSP-2105, and Pamp for cold solder joints. I also reseat everything as well that's socketed as these boards are pretty sensitive. That is where I always start. I don't think its the Flash as that only holds graphics if I recall, sound and program are on the ROMs.
      ROMs are bootstrap, sound and music. All program code is stored on the HDD/CF card
      I guess Midway was wrong
      Images
      • Untitled-1.jpg

65.63 kB, 548×917, viewed 22 times
    • ReplicaX wrote:

xodaraP wrote:

ReplicaX wrote:

GarouSP wrote:

Apocalypse wrote:

GarouSP wrote:

The OP is using a Power Source that does supply the -5v is what he means and yes that era of Midway pcbs required -5v, why the OP tested with a MKII to double check it wasn't the power supply being the issue.With KI boards I always check around the ROMs, ADSP-2105, and Pamp for cold solder joints. I also reseat everything as well that's socketed as these boards are pretty sensitive. That is where I always start. I don't think its the Flash as that only holds graphics if I recall, sound and program are on the ROMs.
      I guess Midway was wrong

No. U98 stores the bootstrap code so it is very much the "Game EPROM" - without that there's nothing to tell the board how to load the data from the HDD.
    • xodaraP wrote:

ReplicaX wrote:

xodaraP wrote:

ReplicaX wrote:

I guess Midway was wrong
      No. U98 stores the bootstrap code so it is very much the "Game EPROM" - without that there's nothing to tell the board how to load the data from the HDD.
      Understood.

OP: Also the audio section has work RAM as well and is known to go bad.