What's new

Aleiex

Beginner
Reaction score
hi, I have 6 simms untested, can I do this? Enter test menu from cps3 game, remove one of the working simms, put the untested one and do the simm check test? Or it is unsafe to do so.

Personally I wouldn't do it.

Do you have a SuperBios cart? Testing with one is pretty quick.

I would just the new simm in and re write the game. Keep track of the order of your original simm so you don't have to program again

I would just the new simm in and re write the game. Keep track of the order of your original simm so you don't have to program again
Say what now? I thought simms were blank slates each and every time the game boots up? (hence loading from cd-rom)

Also why would it be dangerous to test untested simms?

The built in simm tester jist does a basic test. The CD just do a security check? Writing to the simms take about 45 min. That would suck on every boot up. The No CD cart just disable the CD drive and require a CD cart version to write to the simm.

I think @Aleiex was suggesting to test SIMMs by removing them and inserting them while the board is powered.

Besides, it won't even work, because the SIMM test is just testing to see if the correct data for the game is on that SIMM. So naturally it will fail.

The only way to find out if your SIMMs are good is to try to flash a game to them. The different error codes will tell if it's not loading to a particular SIMM (possibly. Or it could just stop loading).

Say what now? I thought simms were blank slates each and every time the game boots up? (hence loading from cd-rom)
Nope. The Simms are not RAM like on a PC. They are flash modules. Once the sim is written it retains data until rewritten. Rewriting takes about 45 minutes.

Whenever I receive a batch of repro simms I have to test them by writing a game to them. It takes a long time but it's the only way. So I begin writing the game and walk away to do something else for 45 minutes.

Back