What's new

Crankypunk

Student
Reaction score
Hi I received my virtua striker 2 ver.2000. Boots to game fine able to let the demo run fine.. I insert coins from the supergun and the minute I press start it goes to team selection screen and freezes there.. Music stops and noting moves.

I ran the board test and all checks out fine.. Can this be a bad cartridge?? Seller marked it as tested working.

Thanks

Test your voltages, if those are too low it can freeze as well

@Crankypunk when you press Start game does data read using security chip, if it doesn't went well - game will go crazy.
so, it looks like you have bad cartridge, there is likely broken security related ICs - usually it is buffer ICs, or RAM ICs, or less often security chip itself.

So contacted the seller and tells me this ... what do you guys think ? Also im pissed hes asking me to fix it when he sold it as working ...

Hello,
The most common issue with Naomi cartridges (which does happen to many) is the buffer chips on the board.
These are inexpensive to replace, so please contact your arcade operator to see if they would like to test that repair.
As returning this item internationally will be a costly and slow affair, we would recommend local repair over replacement.

At that point I asked if im gonna fix it I want money back and he said :

I would forward this information to the person in charge of your arcade equipment, they may be able to assist.
With arcade boards of this age, repairs are often necessary and we simply recommend repairing rather than destroying or paying extra for shipping.
Our boards are professionally tested, but we cannot know exactly when a problem will occur to require maintenance.
Thank you.

How much did you pay for this? These sell for about Y2000 (~$20) on YAJ all the time. Almost not even worth trying to repair at that price.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/303297595

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search...xflg=1&p=+ +NAOMI+バーチャストライカー2&x=0&y=0&fixed=0

contacted the seller and tells me this ... what do you guys think ?
You play dumb and do what he asks... Email Ken @ I repair Sega and you get a quote for repair... (it's likely going to be around $100 + Shipping). You then contact the seller and send him the quote and then leave it up to him to decide if he wants to pay to have you repair it or something else.

How much did you pay for this? These sell for about Y2000 (~$20) on YAJ all the time. Almost not even worth trying to repair at that price.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/303297595

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search...xflg=1&p=+ +NAOMI+バーチャストライカー2&x=0&y=0&fixed=0

contacted the seller and tells me this ... what do you guys think ?
Here is what you do, you email Ken @ I repair Sega and you get a quote for repair... (it's likely going to be around $100 + Shipping). You then contact the seller and send him the quote and then leave it up to him to decide if he wants to pay to have you repair it or something else.
Paid about 80$ canadian with shipping included ...
Im trying to get my money back at this point im so pissed ... Someone on the boards said looks like EPR-C issue after I sent pictures and said he will try help me get an eprom for it.

Im just so pissed the seller is saying it happens after I spent money on an item he said was professionally tested .. yeah right

Pics of cart before cleaning it up

https://imgur.com/5RMEcLw

At the 2 power plugs of the Naomi.
Yellow = 12v
Red = 5v
Brown = 3.3v
White = Ground

a716e5a3-22d4-41e3-ad36-b596fa4de644

Im just so pissed the seller is saying it happens after I spent money on an item he said was professionally tested .. yeah right
stuff happens, I've had boards that were tested before shipping with video proof of them working, arrive and then not work.

The seller thinks that a repair locally to you will be cheaper than you sending it back to him to have him repair it. It could be that jostling from shipping caused a flaky connection to finally fail, or maybe your voltages a bit higher and it's first powerup in your machine caused a flaky component to finally fail.

It sounds to me that the seller is trying to make the situation right by asking you to get an estimate from a local repair place. If you get that quote and forward it to him he made decide to simply refund you.

In this hobby if you just get mad about every 15-20 year old piece of electronics that arrives and doesn't work perfectly you're going to be mad a lot.

@twistedsymphony

I do know it's an expensive hobby it's not my 1st run with boards and arcades .. im just pissed to lose 80$ and having to fix it myself but anyways ill check voltage to see. Also the Ebay seller seems to want me to deal with it myself because things happen .. thats what im not impressed with..

please contact your arcade operator to see if they would like to test that repair.
As returning this item internationally will be a costly and slow affair, we would recommend local repair over replacement.
This doesn't sound like he wants you to fix it yourself. it sounds like he wants you to get a quote to have it fixed so he can PAY them to fix it instead of sending it back.

I've had many international sellers suggest this option first when things don't arrive fully working.

If it needs repair, and the cost is almost or greater than replacement, then he will probably just issue you a refund and ask to ship it back or possibly keep it.

If it needs repair, and the cost is almost or greater than replacement, then he will probably just issue you a refund and ask to ship it back or possibly keep it.
Exactly my point.

if he goes through the process of getting a quote, then he'll likely get exactly what he wants in terms of a refund.

I called the two local Arcade rental / repair shops in town and both said they cant help me so yeah :( ...

Back