What's new

lukemorse1

Professional
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has created a patch for Ridge Racer 5 to where it can skip over the motor error and go into the game like Midnight R.

Ive had this set up for the longest time. I bought most of the original parts for it but yet it still refuses to start up the game. The furthest its been able to go is automatically turning the steering wheel to the left once and then releasing it followed by Motor Error 20. Although the steering assembly I have is a namco set up, it seems that in order for this game to start up, it needs the original steering wheel which is a bit ridiculous.

If there is a way to patch the original dongle so that it can remove the motor error and start, it would be nice to be able to play this game eventually :/

The furthest its been able to go is automatically turning the steering wheel to the left once and then releasing it followed by Motor Error 20.
i've been curious about this steering behavior. i mean, i saw one cab, it turn to farthest left then turn farthest right. other cab, it turn only a bit angle, then release, it passed the motor test. afair, the rom version on the str pcb, were different, and so these different behavior.

the ridge racer v, i think it was using the same str pcb, but i don't take notice the rom version.
the same str pcb used in maximum tune 3dx. in this 3dx cabs, i found they (the str pcb) are sometimes glitchy. replug all connector sometimes worked. it might be your case.

The RR5 cab I own (USA model/body), the wheel barely tilts left and right during the wheel test. Then, the game boots and you play. At first glance you'd think it's about to fail the wheel test given there's so little movement, but it passes.

The only issue is if the pots are dirty or worn down, it'll throw error 7 mid-game, just as bad if not identical(?) to what happens in our Mario Kart GP's.

In rave racer you can just turn off the force feedback in the service menu. Have you tried that in rr5?

In rave racer you can just turn off the force feedback in the service menu. Have you tried that in rr5?
Unfortunately I haven't seen any options where you can turn off FF like with Mario Kart or other Sega Games...

I read a brief article once somewhere that mentioned someone successfully patching the dongle to where it will skip the FF test but I couldn't come across it again.

As I'm typing this, I see another person on a different site talking about how a file located in the "START" file seems to be responsible for that. Alas, they didn't seem to be able to patch it either.
Looks like a recent post as well.

There are some amazing people on this site and I'm sure at some point in the future we will see a patch for this. We'll just have to wait for it to come out 😊

Back