What's new

riley81520

Beginner
Reaction score
I bought a chihiro type 1, which can power on but won't show any signal. After dust cleaning, i found a capacitance of xbox pcb board cracked. Since I have a working chihiro type 3 on hand, i decided to replace the xbox part of type 1 with that of type 3. When I assembled them, it still show nothing. But when i remove the net-dimm board, it shows the sega boot. I'm sure there is no problem with the DIMM board.

an xbox motherboardis significantly different and wont work.

an xbox motherboardis significantly different and wont work.
he's not asking about Xbox motherboard... just the main board part that's BASED on an Xbox Mother board swapped between Type 1 and Type 3.

To my knowledge you should be able to swap the main boards between Type 1 and Type 3 Chihiros.

The big failure point on these PCBs is the GPU fan they tend to die and when they do the GPU cooks itself and the Chihiro will no longer boot. if the fan is dead or has been replaced check the underside of the main PCB and see if it's discolored under the GPU, if it is it's likely dead. If not then try a re-cap of all the through-hole caps or anything else that looks exploded and see if that revives it.
You can also remove the aerogel cap completely without replacing it, it's just there to keep the system clock between power downs and only lasts a day or two... lots of them fail and leak all over the place :/

Kinda offtopic...

A long long time ago I remember reading about a project attempting to load Chihiro games on a Xbox.
It was a complex setup, if I remember correctly consisting of a special debug BIOS (it was 2048mbit so only a Xecuter modchip could load it) and the 64MB RAM upgrade...
But I thought progress had been made, like games initially booting then crashing.

I guess it just must have not worked/died tho, because to this day I've never heard anymore about it.

I guess it just must have not worked/died tho, because to this day I've never heard anymore about it.
I recall that project as well. I believe they got a few games running such as Outrun 2 Beta and Virtua Cop 3 (not sure of any others, might have been Type 1 only games?) I'm not sure if anything was publicly released though.

Thanks for guidance. Now, with the type 3 xbox pcb and the type 1 media interface board, it can show the sega boot, but when i installed the type 1 net-dimm board on it, it shows no video signal, what's the matter?

Today, I receive a type 3 chihiro with an additional PCB board next to the media board. I don't know what's it and how to use it. Thanks.
1534837237x-1404781120.jpg
1534837302x-1404775443.jpg

wow. You lucky $%!#%. That looks like a gdrom replacement. It's a pcb that has or2sp in it and emulates a gdrom drive. Just connect the use cable and power the pcb using th3 from connector and it should load or2sp normally.

That looks like a gdrom replacement. It's a pcb that has or2sp in it and emulates a gdrom drive.
Could you clone/reverse such a device for the rest of us (unlucky bastards) that could/would be reprogrammable? :huh:

I dont think that would be an easy task. Even the writing on the chips has been sanded. Probably better start from scratch.

You can get Outrun2sp on an SSD which replaces the GD Rom
you can get them from Giz10p.co.uk they come with the security chip too

had 2 of them in my OR2 twin setup

Are you sure it's a gdrom emulator and not a compact flash replacement? It might be interesting to see what firmware the dimm is running on. If it's a 4.xx, it likely simply emulates an ide device (like a compact flash card) In such case it could be reprogrammed by connecting it 2 a pc as ide device. If I remember well, it's not an original sega solution.

Back