What's new

ricardo_om

Beginner
Reaction score
hello to everyone,
I'm trying to solve problem with the Sega type II so I hope you can help me please..

The problem is with the Rambo Arcade, as you know there's no enough information and the manual is really basic.

Well, before I started working with this, the problem was that the game (Rambo) was not recognizing the shots, so a person decided to change the IR emitters and the main I/O board, then he bought them and once He connected everything they didn't work, that's all the information I obtained previously.

So once I tried by myself, the first problem I detected is that the IR emitters are not working (they are turned off).

So the first I have done was to check if the I/O gun board was providing energy (I mean the 12vcc and the 5vcc in the LED pins) and actually it's with that energy, so that was OK.

Then as a second step I connected just the IR emitters in the LED pins and they don't turn on (I mean that I connected just VCC and the LED pins in the I/O board and I didn't connect OUT, CN1, CN2 nor CN3)

The first I thought was that maybe the IR emitters are not working, so I put directly energy +5vcc in each one of the emitter and the negative directly in the led, and they work (I will send you a photo to show you how I have done this FIGURE4 and FIGURE5 ).

So now I don't know what I should check to verify if my I/O board is working wrong, or the IE emitters are the problem ?? .. or both ??
Or I'm wrong with something else ??

Thanks for reading and I hope you can give me a hand ..

Attachments

• IMG-20180817-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20180817-WA0009.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG-20180817-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20180817-WA0014.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 935
  • IMG-20180817-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20180817-WA0008.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG-20180817-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20180817-WA0013.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG-20180817-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20180817-WA0012.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG-20180817-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20180817-WA0010.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,319
  • IMG-20180817-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20180817-WA0011.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 623
I would start by verifying that the harness is good. Check for connectivity between the Gun IO board and the LED emitters... on all 6 wires of the harness.

If that's good I would verify that you're getting 12V on the input connector of the Gun IO Board and then finally verify that the 5V regulator on the Gun IO board is outputting 5V.

if your harness is good and the LED boards are working then it's likely you need a new Guns IO board.

thank you so much for your answer..
Perfect .. so I'll do what you said.. however I have some questions to clarify what you suggested.

Is it ok if I check the IR emitters without connecting OUT, CN1, CN2 nor CN3 ?

Do I need to verify with all the ten IR emitters connected or it's enough if I just check with one or two ?

when everything is working correctly they will be flashing very fast, such that they all will look like they're on all the time.

I might be helpful to start with just the first emitter in the chain hooked up to see if there is output, then attach the next and check, and so on... I suppose it's possible that a bad emitter could prevent the rest from working properly.

thank you again for your answer..
So I will follow the advices you said.
Once I have done that, I will write the results I obtain ..

Just a question please..
When you say:
>if your harness is good and the LED boards are working then it's likely you need a new Guns IO board.
It means that the IR emitters besides the 12vcc and the 5vcc need another signal from the I/O board to turn on ??

Ok .. now I understand better.

Now with this information I will check and I will let you know my results.

Thank you again for your help ! ..

So before I try again, I have some doubts.
When you say yes to:
It means that the IR emitters besides the 12vcc and the 5vcc need another signal from the I/O board to turn on ??
It means that I should check the IR emitters with all the pins connected, connecting also OUT, GUN1P and GUN2P ??

Because I was checking the IR emitters just with VCC and LED connected (Like the picture is attached)
And to be clear please:
the wiring is the same as the LED modules EXCEPT the connector is flipped 180 degrees. it's as if they mounted the connector on the gun PCB the wrong way around. at least that how it's been on each of the 3 gun boards that have passed through my hands.

But, in the interest of clarity I've snapped some pics for you.
omz_harness1.jpg

omz_harness2.jpg
Taking this photo as a reference..
Which would it be the 12vcc+ ??
The red wire or the white wire ??

Attachments

• IMG-20180817-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20180817-WA0011.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 692
Last edited:
I should check the IR emitters with all the pins connected, connecting also OUT, GUN1P and GUN2P ??
yes you should check with all pins connected. and with guns connected.

Taking this photo as a reference..
Which would it be the 12vcc+ ??
The red wire or the white wire ??
I don't remember, but you can check easily using a multi meter from the power input connector on the Gun IO and the 5V regulator IC.

have you confirmed 5V output from the regulator IC as I suggested earlier?

Well, so these are the results I obtained..

I would start by verifying that the harness is good. Check for connectivity between the Gun IO board and the LED emitters... on all 6 wires of the harness.

If that's good I would verify that you're getting 12V on the input connector of the Gun IO Board and then finally verify that the 5V regulator on the Gun IO board is outputting 5V.
I verified the points you said, and it seems everything is working well in the I/O Gun Board, the regulator is outputting 5vcc and the hardness is fine.

I might be helpful to start with just the first emitter in the chain hooked up to see if there is output, then attach the next and check, and so on... I suppose it's possible that a bad emitter could prevent the rest from working properly.
So after this, I started verifying the IR emitters one by one as you suggested, but I did it just with VCC and the LED pins connected.

After I checked my 12 emitters, just one turned on, however, after 30 seconds working, one of the pair of leds got burned, it was like the IR leds were receiving more voltage than it should receive, But I don't know why, because the I/O Board is outputting cocorrectly the 12vcc and 5vcc.

So, my question now is why did it get burned ?? .. (I have the photo attached)

Are the IR emitters not the correct ones for this I/O Gun Board, maybe the ones I have work with lower voltage ?? .. is that possible ?? ..

Or the I/0 Gun Board is the problem (but as I said before it is outputting the correct voltage) ?? .. or maybe it happened because I didn't connect OUT, GUN1P and GUN2P ?? ..

So I hope you can help again !!
And thank you for your time again..

Attachments

• IMG-20180818-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180818-WA0002.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 689
you probably burned it doing this:you should never hook 5V directly to the LED, you'll risk blowing them out. you need to pass the voltage through a current limiting resistor.
That's why I connected the 5vcc+ in the first Pin, this passes through a resistor before the LED, with this I avoided to hook directly the 5vcc directly.
IMG_20180819_221621.jpg

But that I did it before, to verify if the IR emitters work well independently.

Now I will try to explain better what I have done.
index.php
IMG
First, as you can see in the photo I uploaded above, I connected VCC and LED, without GUN1P, GUN2P nor OUT.

Then, in the other side of of the LED wire I connected as Twistedsymphony recommended, one by one.
[/quote]
I might be helpful to start with just the first emitter in the chain hooked up to see if there is output, then attach the next and check, and so on..
[/quote]
So I did it like that, and just one IR emitter turned on.. as I explained before..
After I checked my 12 emitters individually, just one turned on, however, after 30 seconds working, one of the pair of leds got burned, it was like the IR leds were receiving more voltage than it should receive, But I don't know why, because the I/O Board is outputting cocorrectly the 12vcc and 5vcc

So as I explained, one turned on, but then after a few seconds one of the pair of the LED blow out.

And I don't know why this happened, the I/O board is outputting the 12vcc and the 5vcc.

So now my doubts are:

Are the IR emitters not the correct ones for this I/O Gun Board, maybe the ones I have work with lower voltage ?? .. is that possible ?? ..
Or the I/0 Gun Board is the problem (but as I said before it is outputting the correct voltage) ?? .. or maybe it happened because I didn't connect OUT, GUN1P and GUN2P ??
So I hope now it would be clear.
And help me finding a solution.

Thank you again for your time !!

Last edited:
do you only have 1 bad LED or did this happen on multiple LED boards?

I should also note that these do not look like original Sega LED bards. The component layout on the Sega boards is quite different but the easy tell is the Sega boards use black plastic stand-offs and have the part number on the silk screen.

Last edited:
IMG-20180817-WA0010.jpg

i was going to say something about this from TS first post, but had doubt. But now, kind of sure, that component shown by red arrow was blown.
i guess that's a black hole after blown effect.

Thank you both for your answers..

IMG-20180817-WA0010.jpg

i was going to say something about this from TS first post, but had doubt. But now, kind of sure, that component shown by red arrow was blown.
i guess that's a black hole after blown effect.
Yes, I didn't notice it before, it's clear it's damaged, thank you!

Practically all my LED emitter boards don't work.

I will explain what was the last thing I have done.

I have another game that uses the same I/O Gun Board, and this one is working perfectly, without problems.

So I decided to verify the last LED emitter (This one that is in the picture below) that was working well with just one led with this second I/O Gun Board I mentioned before.

The result was that the LED worked just for 5 seconds and then it blew out.

So with this, I am pretty sure that my IR emitters were not the correct ones, because as I said before I verified this with a I/O Gun Board that is working well right now.

So...
do you only have 1 bad LED or did this happen on multiple LED boards?

I should also note that these do not look like original Sega LED bards. The component layout on the Sega boards is quite different but the easy tell is the Sega boards use black plastic stand-offs and have the part number on the silk screen.
Practically any of my LED boards work.

So I'm pretty sure the last comment you said could be the reason.. maybe the Led emitters we acquired were not original and something is wrong with them.

So could you please explain me better how the IR emitters should be please ?? .. I didn't understand the part of the black plastic and the number .. it would be awesome if you have a photo..

And also please if you could recommend where I can acquire this IR emitters, we don't want to commit the same mistake again.

I think this would be the first step to find a solution.

Thanks again for your help and time.

So could you please explain me better how the IR emitters should be please ?? .. I didn't understand the part of the black plastic and the number .. it would be awesome if you have a photo..
There are at least 3 versions of the official emitter boards. the most common looks like this:

$(KGrHqV,!g0E-8R)GPe4BP3PBwJgj!~~60_1.JPG
images.jpg

There is an older style with the two LEDs vertical instead of horizontal:
index.jpg

and there is a newer style with 4 LEDs
838-13145-01.jpg

Notice that these PCBs have no traces or screen printing on the face and, and the back of the PCB has a part number on it. Also there is a fullsized capacitor and Resistor for driving the LEDs and black plastic stand-offs instead of white.

The only place I know to get them is used on eBay or wherever.

Well, so just to be 100% clear...

dscn2806.jpg

The led gun sense board (above) is the one I have seen, is it ok for the Rambo ?? ..

I ask because this code has "-02" at the end if we compare with the ones you showed before.

Are there different types of led boards ?? , I mean, LED boards that work with different voltage ?? ..

Just I want to be sure before purchasing..

Thank you again

Last edited:
to my knowledge the are all cross compatible and should all use the same voltages.

Back